Subject: Questions!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dalynun Duma
South Korea
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hello everyone.
I was playing this game with friends and some questions were raised.

We were playing and we were running out of money, so we decided not to use our money for buildings. Those unchosen buildings all went out of the game, soon there was a moment when we had to place the last card of the building card deck on the board. I understand that signals the end of the game. Again, no one had enough money to buy the placed buildings.
That made the game end too soon, only after 10 minutes. Is this really how we play the game?

I can bring a card into my hand, for example a worker card.
Can I place it in front me any time?? like in the following building
phase or only in the next time worker phase?

This is all right now, but I really didn't know what we were doing,
couldn't see where we can find some fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
1. I suspect you did something wrong. If there are 8 buildings out and no one buys one or takes one into their hand, they do not go away at the end of the building round. They stay there until the end of the turn, which means no aristocrat or upgrade cards will come out. At the end of the turn they will be moved to the bottom row, but since there are still 8 cards, no workers will come out. At the end of the next turn, they will all get discarded if they are still there.

2. You can buy a card from your hand in any phase, regardless of what kind of card it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
runningduma wrote:
Hello everyone.
I was playing this game with friends and some questions were raised.

We were playing and we were running out of money, so we decided not to use our money for buildings. Those unchosen buildings all went out of the game, soon there was a moment when we had to place the last card of the building card deck on the board. I understand that signals the end of the game. Again, no one had enough money to buy the placed buildings.
That made the game end too soon, only after 10 minutes. Is this really how we play the game?

You definitely haven't played this properly. Like the post above said, the cards aren't discarded immediately, and as there are nearly 30 building cards the game couldn't end in 10 minutes as you would have to cycle through 2 more full lines of 8 buildings to be down to just 1 and that would mean you bought 8 workers each time. It plain can't be done. Tiem to reread the rules i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You are discarding cards too early.

2) Yes. You can build from your hand during any round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
runningduma wrote:

I can bring a card into my hand, for example a worker card.
Can I place it in front me any time?? like in the following building
phase or only in the next time worker phase?

And.... yes but only on your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that you start with some money. In the first round, everyone should buy the workers available (two for each player). They don't need to go to your hand: just pay the price and place them in front of you. These workers generate money at the end of their phase every round, including the first, and you should be able to buy buildings and/or aristocrats still in the first round. And do read the rules again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Part of the greatness of the game is the discipline it takes to save early on and buy workers / aristocrats and the opportunity cost later if you blow your money. Like other great games you slowly have to swap to going for points which is where the trickiness lies.

45 minutes is about average for a game, though you could hit 30 minutes if you both play quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dalynun Duma
South Korea
Maryland
flag msg tools
Really,
thanks a lot everyone.
I'm still confused about the question 2 though,
can I say
I can play from my hand and place it any time any phase
as long as it is my turn, and as long as it is in action time
and not in scoring??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can. It just wont score if it isnt its phase. You can lay a worker during the building phase, but you wont get money from it yet, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it'll make sense if you think of it like this.

On your turn, you can do 1 of 5 things

1) Buy a card from the board and place it in your purchased card area

2) Take a card from the board and put it in your hand, so long as you don't go over your hand limit (3 at the start of the game, 4 with warehouse).

3) Purchase a card from your hand and place it in your purchased area. Color of the card vs phase color doesn't matter. i.e. sometimes I play a $1 card just to open up hand space to draw something else.

4) Use the Observatory to draw a card and discard/hand/purchase it. (Maybe there's other cards in the base version with similar effects, but I think it's the only one)

5) Pass.

Also to clarify, if you pass and someone else does something, you're still free to do any of the 5 on your next turn. (Different games tend to vary in this regard, but St. Petersburg let's you jump back in). When everyone passes in a row, you then score all purchased cards of the current phase color. The pub also lets you pick how many points to buy while scoring the blue phase after getting money from any blue cards.

Does that help? Sorry if it's hard for us to explain stuff in e-mail/forums rather than by talking through stuff. But just keep asking questions and we'll keep trying.

Welcome to the Geek BTW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.