Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting together basically a schedule of good, historically-oriented wargames, from Successors to Twilight Struggle. My problem is a hole -- from CE 500 to around CE 1500, I don't have anything interesting. I figured there might be something good around 1066, but the top wargames are dominated by WWII.

Anyone have a few recommendations I should look at?

(I'd also be interested in games before around BCE 500, but that's less important.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Medieval Battles
Men of Iron
Infidel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blinks wrote:
from CE 500 to around CE 1500

Infidel has battles from 1097 to 1191. I never played it, but the reviews and videos look great.
And for some reason I don't remember, Battles of the Middle Ages: Legnano is on my wishlist
blinks wrote:
(I'd also be interested in games before around BCE 500, but that's less important.)

The Lost Battles deluxe board game includes a bonus battle which is not the previous book: Kadesh (1274 BC), a chariot battle of Egyptian Empire vs. Hittite Empire. The is my favorite wargame, but I did not yet play this scenario.
And I did read many good things about Chariots of Fire which includes: Sumer (ca. 2320 BCE), Sekmem (ca. 1870 BCE), Megiddo (ca. 1479 BCE), Senzar (1470 BCE), Astarpa (1336 BCE), Kadesh (1300 BCE), Nihriya (ca. 1230 BCE), Babylon (ca. 1225 BCE), Troy (ca.1200 BCE)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Ancient Battles Deluxe, along with its expansions, will span from 1457BCE to 1503CE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Weitz
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Yes, I like helmets...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! I will also recommend Infidel and Men of Iron, as well as:

Cataphract
Devil's Horsemen
Samurai
RAN

Good gaming~! Mick

Whoops... wrong Samurai...

Samurai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrs_z wrote:
There is also wargame Chainmail which covers 1176-1314 but I don't know much about this game.

The Chainmail system is used in other games such as Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle, Turning Point and the most recent "limited edition" First Bull Run: 150th Anniversary Edition. The system doesn't use dice. Instead you play cards which can be used for movement, or to give bonuses on combat. Instead of hexes, the board uses squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
mb
Agincourt is a much under-rated tactical study. Not balanced, but then neither was the battle. Good as a solitaire exercise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Infidel is on the list for CE 11th-12th Century, that's awesome. I think I saw it at the FLGS the last time I was there; I'll see if I can grab it.

I'll have to look at Great Medieval Battles and Men of Iron, Volume I: The Rebirth of Infantry; a recommendation from the great Roger is nothing to sneeze at.

Hammer of the Scots is a great idea, too, mrs_z, much appreciated. My father-in-law is Scottish (Gordon clan!), so I'm sure I could get an enthusiastic opponent for that one. It goes on the list.

Ancient Battles Deluxe looks interesting; are the scenarios good?

As for Samurai: I've got the Sengoku Jidai pretty well covered (I'm specially interested in that period), but I'll put that on my list to check out. Many thanks. Others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+5 Infidel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Renaissance of Infantry is a classic, probably the best of the pre-PRESTAGS designs from SPI. It is, unfortunately, out of print and hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore can be used (if you're using Commands & Colors: Ancients for the ancient period, you should use this for medieval). You can play without the fantasy elements, and BattleLore: The Hundred Years' War – Crossbows & Polearms contains a variant that allows you to use the Lore cards for medieval battles. It has battles from the Hundred Years War and the Scottish Wars in the 14th and 15th centuries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Columbia's Jerry Taylor games. Good games, all of which cover the period in question.

Crusader Rex - 1189-1192
Hammer of the Scots - 1296-1328
Richard III: The Wars of the Roses - 1455-1485

Another game which I like very much - Warriors of God - 1135-1258 and 1337-1453

And cheating a little but there are multi-era games like Maharaja - 1500 BCE - 1850 CE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Warriors of God is a definite go.

Many good suggestions out there in the above. However, this was not mentioned: Four Battles of the Ancient World. The scenarios are well-built.

Another excellent series on the ancient: Ancient Wars Series, especially if you are Roman history enthusiast. The best operational level ancient wargames.

They are my strong recommendation and you can't afford to miss them just because they are produced by Decision Games (I)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blinks wrote:
Ancient Battles Deluxe looks interesting; are the scenarios good?

The scenarios for ABD are designed to play very quickly. Typically, you'll have about 20 units on a side. You can also download for free, a copy of ABD's predecessor, Ancients, from Relative Range (http://www.relativerange.com/). All the scenarios are included, though they're reworked in ABD.

blinks wrote:
As for Samurai: I've got the Sengoku Jidai pretty well covered (I'm specially interested in that period), but I'll put that on my list to check out. Many thanks. Others?

Really? That's not a period that that is very well covered by tactical wargames at least.

Kent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Dickinson
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard! You should probably wash your hands.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Siege of Constantinople is easy to find.

These two, not so much (but one is an offshoot of the other):

Dark Ages
Viking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, Warriors of God was already on my wishlist for other reasons (MMP is good stuff), now I'll have to see if I can find it.

My list, in case anyone's interested (bulgakovs_creature, that list rocks, btw), was originally:

* ~BCE 400-200: Commands & Colors: Ancients
* BCE 362-272: Sword of Rome
* ~BCE 300: Successors
* ~BCE 200: Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthages
* CE 1517-1555: Here I Stand
* CE 1559-1598: Virgin Queen [Unreleased]
* CE 1570-1584: A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584
* CE 1600: Sekigahara: Unification of Japan
* CE 1740-1748: Maria
* CE 1756-1763: A Few Acres of Snow
* CE 1775-1783: Washington's War
* CE 1914-1918: Paths of Glory
* CE 1939-1945: Combat Commander [Tactical]
* CE 1945-1989: Twilight Struggle

It's severely restricted if only because I'm using games I've already got (or preordered, in the case of Virgin Queen) -- otherwise I'd use Europe+Asia Engulfed for WW2 as well.

@mothertruckin: The Siege of Constantinople is easy to find? From 1978? I see several copies on the BGG marketplace, perhaps I'll give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Dickinson
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard! You should probably wash your hands.
mbmbmbmbmb
blinks wrote:

@mothertruckin: The Siege of Constantinople is easy to find? From 1978? I see several copies on the BGG marketplace, perhaps I'll give it a shot.

It's out of print to be sure, but copies are regularly on eBay and in the marketplace here for $15-$20. Plus there is a free pnp naval expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice Napoleonics is missing from your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremey M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infidel is a great game. I've always enjoyed it whether playing solo or face to face. Some great scenarios that really do an excellent job of highlighting the differences in combat styles between the heavy knights of the western world and the horse archers of the east.

Men of Iron I own but have only played once. I hope to get it on the table again one day to give it a go. Could probably tell more about it in a few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elijah234 wrote:

I've been meaning to play Napoleon's Triumph; would that be an acceptable insertion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Cry Havoc? Terrific game, and reading the history in the scenarios will give insights into the era.

Also, Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 is about to be released. The version I playtested a few years ago was a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mero Babu
badge
Ashwin in Dorset
mbmbmbmbmb

Seeing 'common era' being used for dates reminds me of doing my degree. Think this is the first time I've seen it being used since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Seeing 'common era' being used for dates reminds me of doing my degree. Think this is the first time I've seen it being used since.

I've seen both in game descriptions, depending on the game. No offense intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mero Babu
badge
Ashwin in Dorset
mbmbmbmbmb

None taken. Like seeing an old friend after a long time. I did my dissertation on Jewish history and CE cropped up a lot then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blinks wrote:
elijah234 wrote:

I've been meaning to play Napoleon's Triumph; would that be an acceptable insertion?

One of my '10' rated games. Be warned though that while not complex, the system can be hard to internalise.

For Napoleonic grand strategy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.