Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am no graphic designer, I do rather like throwing these cards together.

So here is the latest incarnation of Mechanical Monstrosity in Corp Inc v1.0 layout. The older (obsolete) pictures are on the left (top) and newest on the right (bottom).

A bit more apparent than in this thread: Corp Inc: Sign twice on the dotted line..., the cost system works as follows: The total number of resources used is the number in the top left. Then the values and resources next to it are the maximum number of each resource that can be used to pay the cost. If a resource is not shown, its maximum is 0.

So that means to start construction of this laser robotic octopus, you would have to pay 2 resources which can be any combination of credits, goods and virtual resources. However building robots that run rampant is generally frowned apon, so this card would also increase the company (and your) corruption by 1 as indicated by the big black arrow.

Questions?

No? Then run! It's robots gone wild out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, the way my browser wraps it, I believe the newest is the one in the second row.

The resource strip on the top makes me think I need two of each, not a max two of. But with that, I guess knowing the rules makes it pretty clear.

Using clearer icons and the shapes for backgrounds of them is a tremendous improvement.

The words 'trade construction' on the bottom of the pic are terribly hard to rad. This might be that its one of those annoying typefaces where R and A are too similar.

The big black arrow points up, which makes it seem like a good thing. Not knowing the rules, I would guess corruption is not a good thing. Maybe a number in a splotchy blot or something.

Otherwise, the progression shows it getting way better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
OK, the way my browser wraps it, I believe the newest is the one in the second row.

Make the browser bigger! Ok point taken. I am sure everyone can figure it out...somehow.

Geosphere wrote:

The words 'trade construction' on the bottom of the pic are terribly hard to rad. This might be that its one of those annoying typefaces where R and A are too similar.

The type is reflected in the colour of the card trade = blue construction = green so that text is more for a reminder and as such doesn't need to be that prominent.

Geosphere wrote:

The big black arrow points up, which makes it seem like a good thing. Not knowing the rules, I would guess corruption is not a good thing. Maybe a number in a splotchy blot or something.

Truthfully I can't think of a corruption icon. Splotchy thing might work. Damn your helpful suggestions! Now I have to go and change it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the newest version -- the one with the blue-to-green fade.

It's rather hard to read the numbers next to the resources at the bottom of the card. I can barely make out "2 red cubes and 1 blue hex"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the first one for visual appeal, but I don't care for the way information is presented. For one thing, it seems to lack information that's on the other cards. Also, the resources should have individual numeric values like the 3rd card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

It's rather hard to read the numbers next to the resources at the bottom of the card. I can barely make out "2 red cubes and 1 blue hex"

Make outline brighter. check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justine Ayers
United States
Caldwell
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Critique from a graphic designer:

I find the lack of a background behind the icons and numbers at the top a bit hard to read. Same issue as the bottom not enough outline. Either that or add the background back to it and you can make them slightly smaller.

Overall I like the 1st one best but I like you new icons in the last one. The background on the 3rd one is a bit buzy. Maybe if you toned it down a bit with a dark to light gradient layer (or a solid black one) and lowered it's alpha to take it down your current background a notch.

Overall I like it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dysturbed wrote:
Overall I like the 1st one best...

Where were you earlier?

I got loads of negative feedback for the first one. The swoosh was wrong, what is the bullet/finger in corner, the orange is wrong for the background etc etc. Ok I concede my icons were a bit rubbish but the new ones look much better. I still have the old icons and have setup Magic Set Editor to switch between the two, just to see how it looks.

Though I feel like I am reaching a point where it's "good enough" barring a few minor tweaks. I have learnt (and am still) learning alot from this little exercise.

btw all the cards will be made available in Corporation Incorporated as free print and play when they are ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ok herc this is what you do!

(n.b. wassup man!? India was cool ^^)

All thoughts are to do with the last of your designs (the last one that is the furthest right)

1. Change the bottom curve of the card text into a slightly rounded right angle corner. At the mo it matches the top left and makes it symetrical. We don't want that - it "destablises" the card. So make it a right angle with a corner instead that would match the dimensions of the curve that is on the bottom right of the black box w/ icons at the bottom. That will "open it up" a bit more.

2. Move the title bar to the right slightly (that is on the left vertical-wise) to follow the end line created by the left-most edge on the bottom black bar - this would make it more regular and bring it all together (you must stick to the lines you create)

3.Put way more white outline on the bottom numbers (the first card is better in this repsect and I believe part of the reason that some are saying they prefer it)

4. Make the numbers a different font. It's a bit too retro-scifi at the mo. See if there are any sexy fonts abouit that are not to "digital clock" looking.

5. Make the icons next to the numbers (the coloured shapes) as big as the red box on the first card - give them a bit more weight. Also as the picture is now a little bit smaller inside, it would do with bringing out a bit

6. People miught prefer the first card's background because it is more visually simple and its obvious to see what it is clearly - is there anyway you could replicate that?

7. The black arrow showing increase in corruption needs to be coolified. Perhaps a subtle bit of red on it somewhere? Make it look a bit more evil than "gen. black arrow"

8. The picture stretch on the first two are a little better - the last one is stretched a bit too much

Do those things and report back!!

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:

1. Change the bottom curve of the card text into a slightly rounded right angle corner. At the mo it matches the top left and makes it symetrical. We don't want that - it "destablises" the card. So make it a right angle with a corner instead that would match the dimensions of the curve that is on the bottom right of the black box w/ icons at the bottom. That will "open it up" a bit more.

lol wut? Symmetry is not good?

Cogentesque wrote:

2. Move the title bar to the right slightly (that is on the left vertical-wise) to follow the end line created by the left-most edge on the bottom black bar - this would make it more regular and bring it all together (you must stick to the lines you create)

rgr.

Cogentesque wrote:

3.Put way more white outline on the bottom numbers (the first card is better in this repsect and I believe part of the reason that some are saying they prefer it)

will have to see how light I can get the background around some text with Msgic Set Editor. Hopefully it doesn't look rubbish.

Cogentesque wrote:

4. Make the numbers a different font. It's a bit too retro-scifi at the mo. See if there are any sexy fonts abouit that are not to "digital clock" looking.

But Saaaam! I like the digi-numbers!

Cogentesque wrote:

5. Make the icons next to the numbers (the coloured shapes) as big as the red box on the first card - give them a bit more weight. Also as the picture is now a little bit smaller inside, it would do with bringing out a bit

No can do sam. They are auto fitted to be as big as they can be in the space allowed. Sad. But true.

Cogentesque wrote:

6. People miught prefer the first card's background because it is more visually simple and its obvious to see what it is clearly - is there anyway you could replicate that?

They can download the current version of Corp Inc that has no textures or pictures. I happen to like my textures. They actually like the big swoosh and brown background which someone told me to remove

Cogentesque wrote:

7. The black arrow showing increase in corruption needs to be coolified. Perhaps a subtle bit of red on it somewhere? Make it look a bit more evil than "gen. black arrow"

Thinking of making it a black splotch instead of an arrow.

Cogentesque wrote:

8. The picture stretch on the first two are a little better - the last one is stretched a bit too much

Lol. Its the other way around. The first two pictures are squished horribly. The last one is actually correctly proportioned.

As usual, Sam. You are the best! (hows AtomPunk going btw?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.