I am planning for a large Dominion tournament and wanted to come up with a SIMPLE way that would allow players some control over the kingdom cards chosen. This is my idea so far:
1. Deal out five stacks of five cards each. Each player gets a stack.
2. Two cards are randomly chosen from the unpicked stack. The picked cards are revealed, with the unpicked cards going back in the box.*
3. Each player now secretly picks two cards to play with and returns the rest to the box. Everyone simultaneously reveals their cards and play begins.
*I am not sure whether to reveal the unpicked cards or not.
The one major tweak that I have also considered is removing the moat before the stacks are dealt and then having one card chosen at random from the stack of four.
There are some important things I am taking into consideration:
1. All games will be four player games (I hope =)
2. All games will be played with only the base game
3. Playing experience will range from people who have only played the game once or twice to those who have lost count.
4. The mechanic needs to be simple and fast, so that it can easily be explained to all players and can be done in five minutes or less before the games begin.
Do you think this works? Should I pull the Moat? Are there other simple drafting idea out there?
Why would you do anything special with the moat?