Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Sauby
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning for a large Dominion tournament and wanted to come up with a SIMPLE way that would allow players some control over the kingdom cards chosen. This is my idea so far:

1. Deal out five stacks of five cards each. Each player gets a stack.
2. Two cards are randomly chosen from the unpicked stack. The picked cards are revealed, with the unpicked cards going back in the box.*
3. Each player now secretly picks two cards to play with and returns the rest to the box. Everyone simultaneously reveals their cards and play begins.

*I am not sure whether to reveal the unpicked cards or not.

The one major tweak that I have also considered is removing the moat before the stacks are dealt and then having one card chosen at random from the stack of four.

There are some important things I am taking into consideration:

1. All games will be four player games (I hope =)
2. All games will be played with only the base game
3. Playing experience will range from people who have only played the game once or twice to those who have lost count.
4. The mechanic needs to be simple and fast, so that it can easily be explained to all players and can be done in five minutes or less before the games begin.

Do you think this works? Should I pull the Moat? Are there other simple drafting idea out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SSShanu wrote:
I am planning for a large Dominion tournament and wanted to come up with a SIMPLE way that would allow players some control over the kingdom cards chosen. This is my idea so far:

1. Deal out five stacks of five cards each. Each player gets a stack.
2. Two cards are randomly chosen from the unpicked stack. The picked cards are revealed, with the unpicked cards going back in the box.*
3. Each player now secretly picks two cards to play with and returns the rest to the box. Everyone simultaneously reveals their cards and play begins.

*I am not sure whether to reveal the unpicked cards or not.

The one major tweak that I have also considered is removing the moat before the stacks are dealt and then having one card chosen at random from the stack of four.

There are some important things I am taking into consideration:

1. All games will be four player games (I hope =)
2. All games will be played with only the base game
3. Playing experience will range from people who have only played the game once or twice to those who have lost count.
4. The mechanic needs to be simple and fast, so that it can easily be explained to all players and can be done in five minutes or less before the games begin.

Do you think this works? Should I pull the Moat? Are there other simple drafting idea out there?

Why would you do anything special with the moat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely don't do anything special with the Moat. In general, my advice is to just play random sets. Drafting cards like this tends to lead to groupthink and games that are very similar, especially if you're only playing with the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm presuming you'll have more than one copy of the game available. Run the tournament like Duplicate Bridge where each table will have the same supply tableau. Randomly determine each round's tableau beforehand. The championship final round tableau would be randomly chosen at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerald, I understand why it is helpful to determine the set-up before the even begins. It saves time. What advantage at all is there to determining the final round set-up during the event? I only think that is necessary if the person who is selecting the cards is expected to play in the tournament to prevent him or her from having extra time to consider the combos but if not (and he or she shouldn't be either way) then it seems to serve no purpose at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metagame excitement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno D
United States
East Northport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
Definitely don't do anything special with the Moat. In general, my advice is to just play random sets. Drafting cards like this tends to lead to groupthink and games that are very similar, especially if you're only playing with the base set.

Agreed, specially if you are just using the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.