Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
What does one do with 100+ packs of Pirates: At Ocean's Edge, and 4 of the "mega packs"? I've been collecting some grab bags from local stores (mostly for the Fire & Steel and Rise of the Fiends packs that have been pretty easy to come by), and I've long ago completed my play set of Ocean's Edge (promo chasing aside). I'm considering cracking them open and putting the singles online, but I thought I'd see what other interesting ideas people might have.

Is there a market for sealed packs? Is there much trade value here? Am I better off just opening the whole lot up and aiming to finish a second set to trade/sell/give to a friend? Or do I save it for a rainy day, like that future "some day" when there might be a munchkin to hand them down to?

[Edit to adjust game link]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one of the boxes at target with 20 packs in it for 10 bucks. Holy crap what a deal that is even if you don't like the actual game. Then my addictive personality kicked in and I bought a couple more boxes. OK, I bought all the boxes the store had (5 more). I just love those ships. I came up with my own pirate game combining these ships, the gold/jewels from Dredd Pirate, a lexan water heroscape hex map, some heroscape terrain for islands and my 4 and 6 year old love it. The super basic rules include digging for treasure based on die roles, buying additional ships with gold (3 different classes based on size), shooting at each other and finding treasure maps which lead to the lost treasure of Davy Jones. I've got more advanced rules that use the various captains, crew and additional stats when they get older.

Enough about me though, there's a couple posts on the Pirates of the Spanish Main page about how you can use the ships with other pirate ship rules, and I plan on using those at some point. For now, they all look pretty cool on my boy's shelves too. These are just some of those amazing components that only come out once in a blue moon and they have so much potential. And they're cheap. I love cheap awesome components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, those Target boxes are precisely where I got a number of them. I collected the Ocean's Edge set last year when ShopKo was selling the promo tins, 2-player packs, and special release boxes (and I'm kicking myself now for not picking up more of the tins). So when I started collecting Fire & Steel and Rise of the Fiends from the Target box, I ended up with piles of Ocean's Edge boosters I really don't need, but can't bring myself to just ditch.

Have you already or would you be willing to share your house rules with me and/or the rest of BGG? I have Heroscape terrain, I have loads of ships now (even more when you include the pristine packs), and I'm not happy with the Pirates game as it is "out of the box". I'd love to give your house variant a try, if you don't mind sharing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About 3 years ago I bought loads of these from the UK shop 'The Works' (similar to Target as I understand it), initially it was for the fun of collecting them for my then 10 year old. He then begged me to play the game, which sucked! A quick search on The Geek came up with the following link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/6466/letters-of-marque...

We both think this rocks, it's well thought out and detailed system that is highly flexible for scenarios and goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games (with hexes) I have played and enjoyed: Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Close Action. (I have not gotten to Flying Colors, yet)

Miniatures games (just you, an opponent or 6 and a kitchen table): Beat to Quarters, Don't Give Up the Ship, Fire As She Bears! (second edition)

Or you can just search the geeklists for "Age of Sail" and see all the games I have not played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snappleman's Buried Treasure of Legend (working title) Game

This is the game I play with my 4 and 6 year old. Beware, it is almost entirely luck, but it sure beats the heck out of Candyland and Sorry and it scratches ye ole pirate itch, it does. It also looks pretty.

Components needed:

- At least 2 teams of Pirates of the Spanish Main ships. 9 ships (3 small, 3 medium and 3 large) per team work best.
- Unique Captain cards from PotSM. 10 is a good start, and they don't all have to be the super cool captains or even captains, they just need to be unique.
- Large hex grid. I've got a 2'x2' water lexan mat for use with heroscape, but any hex mat/tiles would do. My perfect mat would be a clear hex grid on some ocean fabric. If any of you out there know where I can get a reasonably priced clear hex grid, let me know.
- Island terrain. I use heroscape tiles.
- At least one city. I use the Pirates of the Spanish Main forts, but a tiny lego town or a 1 hex heroscape road tile with 6 battlements works just as well.
- Lots of gold. I use the gold from Dread Pirate (gems are worth 5 gold), but the PotSM gold works equally well.
- Some heroscape glyphs/some sort of marker to designate the lost treasures of Davy Jones/Blackbeard/Jack Sparrow.
- A decent amount of dice. The PotSM ones work, and the kids seem to like them quite a bit, but real dice would be better.
- Life counters for your ships. Smoke markers or heroscape life tokens work great.

Setup:

- Layout your water and place some islands around the map. Try to make them at least a couple hexes big and make sure there's plenty of space to dig for gold. Placing them at the edges and extending out past the edges is usually a good idea as it maximizes your water space. Make sure to leave most of the map open water.
- Place a fort or 3 around the map.
- Place a piece of gold on every open non-water hex. This marks un-explored territory.
- Take those glyphs and place 3 or 4 around the map (generally at the far corners of the map), then place a number on each (1, 2, 3) using either a die or a HS order marker.
- Take your ships and if possible, create as many teams of ships with the same nationality as possible (not necessary, but it helps). Up to 3 small ships (mast size of 1 or 2), up to 3 medium ships (mast size of 3) and 3 large ships (mast size of 4 or 5). Each player chooses 1 small ship to begin the game and places that ship next to a fort in the water.
- Take the matching base card for your ship and place it in front of you. Then take one of the captain cards and place it below your ship card. This is the captain for that ship. It really don't matter which captain goes with which ship, just pick one from the pile you like and that's your captain.
- The youngest person goes first and play passes to the left.

Small Ship:
- Move = 4
- Attack = 1
- Defense = 6
- Life = 3
- Cost = 3

Medium Ship:
- Move = 3
- Attack = 2
- Defense = 5
- Life = 5
- Cost = 8

Large Ship:
- Move = 2
- Attack = 4
- Defense = 4
- Life = 8
- Cost = 13

Playing a Turn:

Each turn, you may move and attack with each of your ships and use your captains to perform various actions in a fort or dig for buried treasure.

Ships can move up to their move value in water spaces. If they are adjacent to land or a fort at any point during their movement, the captain can disembark and can then move independently. Moving a ship and then moving a captain all within the same turn really speeds the game up. If the captain is on land, take his little face piece out of the captain card and put him on land. He can move up to 2 spaces and then can dig for treasure. When digging for treasure, roll a d6 and you get that much gold. My kids love that part. Place all your gold on your captain card. When your captain gets back to the ship, move the gold onto the ship card. Your captain may board the ship if it ends it's movement in the space adjacent to the ship. Once a ship moves adjacent to a fort, move the money off your ship card and put it in front of you. That money is now considered in your personal stash and safe from other pirates.

So, one turn, you can move your small ship, 4 spaces, disembark, move your captain another 2 on land and dig for treasure. Then next turn, you can take that same captain, move him back to your ship, and move your ship back to the fort to buy a new ship. Yes, very fast paced, the kids love it.

As long as one of your captains is in a fort it is considered safe from attack (their ship is also safe from attack), they may buy new ships for their listed ship price. Place any new ships in an open hex adjacent to the fort. If no spaces are open, place it in the closest open water space. New ships cannot move the same turn they are bought. Grab a new captain to go with your new ship. You can only have a max of 5 ships (less for even younger kids or more for older kids looking for an epic game). You may sell a ship for half it's cost rounded down if it is next to a fort. You may heal your ships at a rate of 1 life per turn at a cost of 1 gold per life if they are next to a fort.

The last action you can perform while your captain is at a fort is spend 1 gold per turn (per fort) to hire your most trusted spy to seek out a treasure map. Roll a d6 and if you get a 6, you just found one of the legendary treasure maps of the famous pirate BlackRedBeard of the 9 seas yada yada... Take a glyph and roll a d6 until you get a number matching one of the treasures on the map. Place the die on the glyph and that's your treasure map. Only that map may be used to collect that treasure. If someone else finds a map and rolls your number, they must re-roll. You may have multiple treasure maps at the same time. Once you have a treasure map, you must give it to the captain in that fort. Once at sea, that ship may be sunk by other players to obtain that treasure map. Once the captain with the treasure map gets to the treasure hex, place the treasure glyph on the captain card similar to how you do with gold. Put the treasure on the ship card once the captain gets back to their ship. While at sea, the ship may be sunk by other players to obtain that treasure.

When attacking, all ships have a range of 2 hexes. Medium and Large ships take up 2 hexes so count 2 hexes from either of the hexes your ship occupies. Roll the number of attack dice corresponding to your ship's attack value. The number of dice that roll equal to or above the defending ship's defense value are hits. Take that many life markers and place them on the defending ship's card. Once it reaches it's total life value in markers, the ship is sunk and all treasure and half the gold on that ship rounded down goes to the attacker. Take the ship off the board, put the ship card back in your pile of unowned ships put the captain back in the pile of free-agent captains. If this is the only ship you have, take the captain, and move him to the closest fort and match him with a small ship that he will "borrow". Place the ship in an open hex next to the fort. Ships can only attack other ships and cannot target captains on land (although my upcoming advanced rules will probably allow for this).

Captains can attack each other on land if they occupy the same space. The attacker and defender each roll a die. The defender adds 2 to his roll as pirates are generally very slippery. If the attacker's roll is higher, the defender must give all treasure and gold to the attacker.

A ship cannot move or attack while the captain is away, and is basically a sitting duck. Should a captain lose their ship while they're on land, they are considered stranded. They may be picked up by another ship and brought back to a fort where a new ship can be bought for them. If a stranded captain loses that player's only ship, pick a captain and a new small ship and place them at the closest fort. This is their best captain friend who would naturally go looking for them. A captain may also ditch their ship entirely if they so choose and be picked up by another friendly ship if it's in their best interest.

Game Over:

The game is over when the last treasure is brought to a fort and put in a player's personal stash. The player with the most legendary treasures is the winner. Ties are broken by whoever has the most gold.

Tips:

- There's a lot going on here, but it's all pretty intuitive and the kids understood it all pretty easily especially if you give them rules as they need them.
- The one part they don't always get is moving their gold around as my kids generally like to have it all piled up in one big pile even if they just dug it up and it should only be with that captain. Feel free to ditch that rule and just have everything in their stash. That also means that all a player's gold/treasure is vulnerable at all times although, maybe make the treause not vulnerable, but the treasure maps vulnerable. Eh, whatever works for your kids.
- Try to make some starting islands that are close to the fort(s), but also try to have larger late game islands that are further away so that ships can be at sea and be targetted for attack.
- Camping: closing off access to a fort can be a real issue in this game. To avoid this, you may put a rule in place that any ship cannot occupy 2 hexes adjacent to a fort. That means they basically all ships have to be sticking out from the fort and not cozied up against it. That helps, but you can also say that if no space is available next to a fort, a ship can enter the fort from the closest open water space. This would also increase the incentive for players to try to leave those adjacent spaces open.
- My kids also don't like that big ships move slower. If your kids are like mine, just let them all move at the same speed (3 works best).
- My stats for the ships are alright, but I haven't played the game 100 times and fully balanced them all, so if you do happen to play this 100 times, I'd love to hear some feedback.
- If you play Twilight Imperium, Epic War Games or Dungeons and Dragons regularly and stumble accross these rules and try the game out and have lots of negative things to say, I do not want to hear your feekback. :)

I hope you enjoy this game if you decide to try it out. I know I had fun and my kids did too since they ask regularly to play it. I'll try to post some pictures soon. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Snappleman wrote:

- Large hex grid. I've got a 2'x2' water lexan mat for use with heroscape, but any hex mat/tiles would do. My perfect mat would be a clear hex grid on some ocean fabric. If any of you out there know where I can get a reasonably priced clear hex grid, let me know.

I haven't ordered from them yet, but I got this link from the Wings of War forums here on BGG and plan to order the European countryside mat from Hotz Mats. Here is the link to their mats: http://www.hotzmats.com/felt_purchase_mat.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several sets packs currently at Five Below for $1 a pack, so I don't know that there is much of a secondary market for sealed packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
There are several sets packs currently at Five Below for $1 a pack, so I don't know that there is much of a secondary market for sealed packs.

Five Below has been selling them for a couple of years now. You can get some good bargains in that store now and then. Just picked up a bunch of Monsterpocalypse boosters for $3 a booster and Heroclix boosters from $3 - $5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I did with them: Full Sail: Fleet Actions in the Deep Ocean

If you look at the pics for that game, you'll see that I've used flat wood-joining lozenges to base the ships on (for stability) and colored the ships' edges with permanent markers to color match their print jobs. The lozenges are painted blue, with a light blue wake.

The rules for the game are perfectly suited to these little babies! Their creator is a regular on this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.