Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
out4blood wrote:
Quote:
2) French player adds any one card from his Empire to his starting deck.

PRO-FRENCH. Siege Artillery is what I'd get. You could see some French instant wins with that in hand.

Yeah, this one stuck out for me as well. Combined with one or two other pro-French changes, and the game is over before it's even started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
AFAoS is admitedly inspired in Dominion. Do you think Dominion's developers could playtest every card combination? No way.

They did many hundreds (likely 1000 or more) playtests for each expansion. They playtested every combination of 2 cards several times. They playtested many combinations of 3 cards when they thought they could be critical, but naturally couldn't playtest all of them. Up to date, one 'broken' combination of 3 cards has been found in all the released sets combined.

I'm quite sure each card in Dominion has been playtested more often than AFAoS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely play with this. I don't know how many times I've played this game in the last year.

Hopefully all of these variants have been playtested.... uh...

What is this exactly? Is it coming with the 2nd edition or is it something I can print out and stick in the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created an UNOFFICIAL print resolution version using the translation by
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb

Please note: THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL. I created it for personal use because I'm rather excited to try these out. I'm posting this so others can have fun until Martin / Treefrog supply an official one.

Original Image: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1276246/a-few-acres-of-sn...

A big thanx to Martin Wallace for this intriguing little expansion!

Download it here: http://i.imgur.com/IZCWK.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
This is AMAZING work. Thanks for sharing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck ya. Awesome.

Now if only Yucata could implement it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
What? You make with the funny stuff?
badge
I don't feel tardy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Thanks to everyone for putting this together. Like a die rolling, instant game refresher. Looking forward to trying this, and hopefully some definitive balance changes will come out of it, if not an official one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one question in Group 5/6... item #5.

"English player cannot start a siege until they French player starts one or he has 25 Victory Points."

If "who" has 25 VP? England or France?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
What? You make with the funny stuff?
badge
I don't feel tardy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joel, you reminded me of another question. The rule where if you put a location back to the deck you lose control of it. I assume you would remove the disk/cube from the board, and therefore lose the points. That cube/disk going back to your supply could have some further strategy implications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Hey Joel, you reminded me of another question. The rule where if you put a location back to the deck you lose control of it. I assume you would remove the disk/cube from the board, and therefore lose the points. That cube/disk going back to your supply could have some further strategy implications.

Ya, I could a situation where someone might do that on purpose to get their token back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that Martin created this for one of the big Italian games conventions (there was one last weekend, I believe).

Think of it as an optional expansion - many games have them, I believe. If you're not enjoying the standard game, this probably won't help, but if you like the standard game (but perhaps want more variety, to shake things up a little) you could try this. I suspect that - like most other expansions - it will sometimes improve the experience and will sometimes subtract from the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
eekamouse wrote:
I have one question in Group 5/6... item #5.

"English player cannot start a siege until they French player starts one or he has 25 Victory Points."

If "who" has 25 VP? England or France?

England.

"English player cannot start a siege until the French player starts one or England has reached 25 Victory Points."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Vazquez
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, quite unexpected. ninja

I really don't mind a game being unbalanced. I believe this is quite usual in wargames. Many random rules will be unbalanced, there's no doubt about it - ok, maybe with some combinations the French will win in, like half a turn... (I'm exaggerating, of course).

The most import thing for me is the REPLAYABILITY. This is the thing I care the most. If this gives me replayability, I'm glad.

[edit: by the way, anyone here has a larger image of the Italian version?]

[edit 2: there's something written on the Italian version that seems something like: "thanks to the people of BGG that gave the inspiration for this expansion". Can anyone read it?]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you roll three pairs of dice? For each pair, the first die selects the group, the second die selects the rule?

Have I got that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
So, you roll three pairs of dice? For each pair, the first die selects the group, the second die selects the rule?

Have I got that right?

Seems about right. Personally, I would roll one die 6 times, unless you have a second die that is a different color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim, give me some slack sir, you're a much better player than I am and my bottom hears with the whippings you've given it

*No honest, it's good to play you, you certainly know the game inside out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

Have I got that right?

Seems about right. Personally, I would roll one die 6 times, unless you have a second die that is a different color.

I've played ASL. Of course I have a second different-colored die!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manfromtherock wrote:
Tim, give me some slack sir, you're a much better player than I am and my bottom hears with the whippings you've given it

*No honest, it's good to play you, you certainly know the game inside out

It's your move! Why are you surfing the web!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not meaning to be offensive to anyone, I'm not good skilled in English subtleties.

When I say the foruns are "negative", I mean this: imagine a person who came to see something about the game. I think that he will see the game as a complete waste of time. But we know that the game is worth, and we know that, when (IF) it becomes balanced, it will be a great great game.

So what I think is, why not show this here? I often read "this won't work" before we even try. People say "this game was poorly playtested", but not to try ideas is lack of playtest. Sometimes an idea seems to be bad at first, but, when tested, it can either be good or take us to a new insight which we wouldn't had without the playtest!

I may not have played AFAoS enough, but, if it is the case of showing experience, I have to say that I have a lot of playtest working under my belt.

I usually don't like house rules, but here we need them. If we find a good way, for sure it will become official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
I was not meaning to be offensive to anyone, I'm not good skilled in English subtleties.

Your english is just fine. Better than many americans.

PauloSantoro wrote:
When I say the foruns are "negative", I mean this: imagine a person who came to see something about the game. I think that he will see the game as a complete waste of time. But we know that the game is worth, and we know that, when (IF) it becomes balanced, it will be a great great game.

People are upset that their expectations for a wallace game haven't been met. You can't expect them to keep quiet. That's what the forums are for. It's not like there's a conspiracy against afaos.

PauloSantoro wrote:
So what I think is, why not show this here? I often read "this won't work" before we even try. People say "this game was poorly playtested", but not to try ideas is lack of playtest. Sometimes an idea seems to be bad at first, but, when tested, it can either be good or take us to a new insight which we wouldn't had without the playtest!
People say this because it looks like another bandaid and that the game is going down a bad road. Also, many are tired of playtesting new solutions anymore. simple burnout and disappointment.

PauloSantoro wrote:
I usually don't like house rules, but here we need them. If we find a good way, for sure it will become official.
I don't like house rules either. I assume that when I pay for a game that it should be well playtested ... especially for strategies that many players will find after a few plays. If I have to house rule a game to help fix it, it's getting sold or at worst will just sit on my shelf unplayed until I sell it. Furthermore, I'll complain to the high heavens in the forums. arrrh

edit: not that any of this complaining matters. The game is winning awards and still selling like hotcakes in spite of it all. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
◄ əpıʌɐp ►
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vazquezramos wrote:
[edit 2: there's something written on the Italian version that seems something like: "thanks to the people of BGG that gave the inspiration for this expansion". Can anyone read it?]

The small text at the bottom reads:
"Thanks to all those who suggested ideas on BGG, those ideas gave inspiration for this expansion"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks official, seems MR. Wallace has been working on these scenarios after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moore
United States
Maineville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I am somewhat alone in my appreciation for this potential new expansion. It looks to me like it was designed to specifically adress the majority of concerns with the game. For me, it will certainly improve and extend the lifetime of this amazing game.

Not being playtested, seriously? (of course it's being tested).

Mr. Wallace has well addressed the problem of an ultimate strategy being discovered. This is not shotgun thinking. It addresses most every concern possible to address within this design. But, but, but..... BAH! I'm not a world class competitor, I dont play games for a living, I play for fun and to enjoy the interaction and company of my fellow gamer.

Savor this great game, to finish it to soon would be a great injustice.

Cudo's to you Mr. Wallace, keep em coming :).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sizkrath wrote:
Looks like I am somewhat alone in my appreciation for this potential new expansion.

No, you're not alone, I just didn't have the time to try any of these yet. But I appreciate the idea. It just may be that the most vocal part of players posting on the geek is not the target group as they have learned of the Hammer and just can't get it out of their head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:

Ya, I could a situation where someone might do that on purpose to get their token back.

In the 2nd edition rulebook I downloaded from Wallace's AFAoS page, this is already one of the regular rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.