Subject: Wysire's PbF - Retribution IC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Sure ham an' eggs can talk -- they's sayin' hello to my stomach ri-i-ight now!"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmbmb
(Shamelessly stolen from LordDillon's 4e game)

Welcome to Retribution, a Pathfinder adventure.

This is the IN CHARACTER Thread. Please subscribe to this thread; for future ease of locating it I recommend using a quicklink.

This thread is specifically for IN CHARACTER actions and conversations.

Important Links

d10-1 Suggested posting format

d10-2 Retribution OOC

d10-3 Our wiki page for this adventure

RULES FOR THE PLAY-BY-POST GAME:

1. Posting Schedule: players should post a minimum of once every 3 days. It's great if you can post within 24 hours of ME (the GM) posting something. If this is a turnaround that you cannot abide to, or that you don't think works for you, then let me know. I realize that real life happens and that sometimes you may not be able to post anything - that is fine - I will take it upon myself to do the most advantageous action for your character (if in combat) or we will simply have them run in the background for a bit (if you are doing something like hanging out at the tavern). It should be noted that if I post something, and then all 4 of you post something within a few hours, I will most likely post again, so the 24 hour turn around will not be set in stone, so please set up your subscriptions and what have you to keep up to date on the action.

2. If a player knows they are going to be out of internet range for an extended period, they can arrange for another player to post for their PC if they feel it necessary. This is at the discretion of the two players and the GM will okay it with a word of approval from BOTH players.

3. I think this can go without saying in this group, but please be respectful towards your fellow players and the GM. This game is meant to be fun and I’d like to keep it that way. I know none of you really need this reminder, but it is better to have it as a general rule than not mention it.

4. I am basically running this Rules as Written, but there may be small areas where I will change something or make a judgment call to house-rule something. I will let you know in advance if I do so, or it will be as a result of one of you asking about something. As you know, I'm using Hero Lab to keep track of things and to generally enforce the rules.

5. Please feel free to ask me anything else that you would like to know.

6. Please avoid the use of curse words. I prefer to avoid the use of curse words in my RPs, and I ask that you do the same. I will thank you in advance for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Sure ham an' eggs can talk -- they's sayin' hello to my stomach ri-i-ight now!"
badge
mbmbmb
You left the muddy streets of Swallowfeld this cold and gloomy morning. Not the best weather to head out to Cymer Priory, but duty calls. Besides, it is only eight miles, less than half a day's journey.

Two hours later, the party trudges on. The tree fringed trail is quiet. Time and fewer patrons have left the path not as well-traveled as days gone by. In some places the overgrowth has made it not much wider than a game trail.

Dark, ominous clouds hang low in the sky and a strong, chill wind plucks at your cloaks. Occasionally, small flurries of sleet and strong winds swirl about you. Ahead lie hours of miserable travel.

If you have Knowledge(Local) or Knowledge(Religion), please make a skill check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, Prince, if it rains, I am sure you will enjoy a nice splash won't you? Sigh... I guess there are advantages to being an amphibian sometimes. Lady and Gentlemen, the road beckons. Shall we proceed?"

Knowledge (local) 1d20+9 = (12) + 9 = 21
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 119034. not2fear
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (12) + 9 =
  • Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:19 am
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lady Daerwen wrote:
"Well, Prince, if it rains, I am sure you will enjoy a nice splash won't you? Sigh... I guess there are advantages to being an amphibian sometimes."

He couldn't be completely sure, but to Rhovanor's keen senses, it almost looked like Prince's eyes rolled at these words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Catching Rhovanor sniggering (or imagining it), Daerwen addresses him, "Come, Rhovanor, the road will be long and I am in grave danger of becoming bored. Walk with me and share the reason for your amusement."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhovanor adjusts his stride to walk with Daerwen.

"Well M'lady, when you spoke to your familiar before, I believe that he might have been squeezed as his eyes bulged and it looked most comical."

Rhovanor pauses a while before saying, "If I may be so bold, M'lady, I was wondering what reason you gave your father for joining us, given the terrible weather this winter."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
Rhovanor adjusts his stride to walk with Daerwen.

"Well M'lady, when you spoke to your familiar before, I believe that he might have been squeezed as his eyes bulged and it looked most comical."

Rhovanor pauses a while before saying, "If I may be so bold, M'lady, I was wondering what reason you gave your father for joining us, given the terrible weather this winter."

Daerwen's eyes widened innocently. "Why Rhovanor, do you not know? I have a crush on you and begged by Lord Father to allow me to accompany you on this trip!" Daerwen reached over and pinch Rhovanon's rapidly reddening cheek.

Daerwen laughed jovially at Rhovanor's protests"Forgive my jest, good ranger. Can you imagine being cooped up in the castle with my father and my brothers and all their council meetings and serious men talk for the whole of winter?"

She looked at him curiously, "The serving maids say that you are most fond of Rosalyn. Tell me, is it true?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhovanor chuckles lightly and smiles at Daerwen.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, M'lady, but the serving maids are prone to exaggerate a glance into a look of longing or desire, or a few words of thanks into a sonnet of love. They are just adding some colour to their everyday chores."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Daerwen pouts petulantly. "Come now, is there noone that has caught your eye? Hmmmm.....? Perhaps Lady Isabella? A big strong man like you must have a big strong... appetite?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhovanor stiffens imperceptibly and shifts his backpack to hide it.

"I wouldn't be so presumptuous to entertain such thoughts, M'lady. Anyway, it wouldn't be appropriate all things considered."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Palin pipes up from the back of the pack, where he's been puffing along with what surely is an overloaded backpack.

"Well, there's no reason for young unattached people like our friend Rhovanor to limit his interest to just one person, after all! There are so many things and so many people in life to be appreciated. As for appropriate, well, there's more than one opinion about that. I always found it a bit silly to deny myself the enjoyment of someone's company just because of a difference in society-imposed rank or status."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC- Vince I assume you need to roll for Knowledge as per the following
wysire wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
OOC- Vince I assume you need to roll for Knowledge as per the following
wysire wrote:

OOC: Indeed, I missed that! Sorry.

Knowledge (Religion) 1d20+4 = (3) + 4 = 7

Knowledge (Local) 1d20+1 = (8) + 1 = 9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 119250. Starlost151
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (3) + 4 =
  • Knowledge (Religion)
  • Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:21 am
  • [+]
  • 119260. Starlost151
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (8) + 1 =
  • Knowledge (Local)
  • Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:05 am
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Starlost151 wrote:
Palin pipes up from the back of the pack, where he's been puffing along with what surely is an overloaded backpack.

"Well, there's no reason for young unattached people like our friend Rhovanor to limit his interest to just one person, after all! There are so many things and so many people in life to be appreciated. As for appropriate, well, there's more than one opinion about that. I always found it a bit silly to deny myself the enjoyment of someone's company just because of a difference in society-imposed rank or status."

Daerwen clapped her hands in delight, "Wisely said, as always, Father Palin! The good ranger is too much of a gentleman to share any juicy news with me, perhaps you..."

Spying his red and puffing face, "Father Palin! I have forgotten my courtesies. allow me to assist you.... ooof! That's one heavy backpack! You must have gold bricks or something heavy in there!"

Thinking a little, she adds, "You must have brought along the holy implements to perform the Ritual of the Stardust! You must tell me more about it!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn, missed getting in a response to the priest - I'm too tired and twitchy, not thinking well. Or typing well, either (edit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Winter
United States
Farmington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"No! I said hold it up, you twit. It's a sword, not a shovel!"

The poor page stumbles as he tries to pass the rapier to Dre who deftly snatches it from his fumbling hands before letting the page sprawl into the mud. She inspects the sword closely without a second glance at the sopping page. "There. Mud and spots on the scabbard. You're not fit to haul the rubbish to the heap."

Then looking up and spying her travelling companions, Dre's eyes go wide in surprise. "Your Highness? I was not told you would be joining us on our journey! How delightful! I feared I might be the only spot of civility at the monastery. And these must be your guides," Dre indicates Palin and Rhovanor without introducing herself. "And never to fear! I have been taking fencing lessons from Constable Wilsett. I shall be well prepared to fend off any trouble we should encounter on the road!" She draws her sword and makes a couple of broad, unskillful slashes that cause her dripping page to stumble back again into the mud to avoid injury. "Picel, you nit! Get back to the embassy and stop fooling around. And if you drip that mud on the carpets, I'll have you cleaning them with your bare hands when I get back!"

Turning back to address Daerwen, Dre smiles sweetly. "Shall we?"

Knowledge: Local 1d20+6 = (9) + 6 = 15

I'm afraid that Dre is going to be a bit of a pain from time to time. She's really not so bad when she's not "in character"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 119382. chad56s
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (9) + 6 =
  • Knowledge: Local
  • Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:50 am
Chad Winter
United States
Farmington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starlost151 wrote:

"I always found it a bit silly to deny myself the enjoyment of someone's company just because of a difference in society-imposed rank or status."

Dre looks as if she's about to respond, but after Lady Daerwen voices her agreement, she purses her lips and gives a tight, humorless smile instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ah hah! There you are, Dre! We were wondering when you would join us! The good Constable had good things to say about your swordsmanship and I am grateful to have your skilful sword arm to rely on. The Constable has, I am afraid, quite given up on my fencing. Is your page alright? He seems somewhat flustered and not quite himself. Here, take my handkerchief... And wipe the mud from your face... There's a good boy. Run along now!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Palin: Having begun your sacred career with Darlen and growing up in Wolverton, you know The Priory of Cymer is a small, backwater shrine named after a local saint. The priory was founded at the behest of Cymer (a visionary believer) who foresaw that a great evil would arise at the site. It never did and over the last few decades, the place has fallen out of favour with the populace of the nearby villages; now few worship there. Perhaps that even factored into your own change of calling.

Quote:
Lady Daerwen: You are have made greater study of the history (and gossip) of The Lonely Coast. Ruan, the curate at Cymer was once a member of an extreme sect – The Brotherhood of the Unalterable Way: an ultra orthodox sect of Darlenites famed for their unbending view of holy scripture and their practise of self‐flagellation which they believe literally scourge sin from the body. You've even heard a coarse joke that depending on whom you talk to within the clergy, becoming curate of Cymer was either a reward for leaving the sect or a punishment for not doing so sooner!

Quote:
Dre: There are also older rumors that the priory is built above a network of caves; stonemasons sealed the caverns because they feared what might creep forth. No one today thinks this is anything more than poppycock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chad56s wrote:
"Your Highness? I was not told you would be joining us on our journey! How delightful! I feared I might be the only spot of civility at the monastery. And these must be your guides," Dre indicates Palin and Rhovanor without introducing herself.

Palin whispers aside to Rhovanor, "We're the guides, huh? I hope you know the way."

Directly to Dre, Greetings, milady, and Desna's blessings be upon you. Palin bows slightly with a smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little later on the journey...

not2fear wrote:

Thinking a little, she adds, "You must have brought along the holy implements to perform the Ritual of the Stardust! You must tell me more about it!"

"'Twould be much better to show you when the time comes. I must say, I've never witnessed a ritual that combines joyous celebration and solemn contemplation in quite the same way. You are of course invited to attend, as is everyone willing to approach it with an open heart."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starlost151 wrote:

not2fear wrote:

"'Twould be much better to show you when the time comes. I must say, I've never witnessed a ritual that combines joyous celebration and solemn contemplation in quite the same way. You are of course invited to attend, as is everyone willing to approach it with an open heart."

"Of course, that assumes you are still interested when the ritual comes around half a year from now, and I haven't been called elsewhere by then."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhovanor pulls up the collar on his coat and pulls his cap further down on his brow. He starts to lengthen and quicken his stride, wondering to himself, "What have I done to have to mollycoddle this lot? The 'Princess', the "Peacock" and the priest, well he probably means well, but ... oh well, the job must be done."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Starlost151 wrote:
Starlost151 wrote:

not2fear wrote:

"Of course, that assumes you are still interested when the ritual comes around half a year from now, and I haven't been called elsewhere by then."

"Oh you are too kind, Father Palin! I would love to attend and watch you perform the rites! Hmmmmm.... We better quicken our steps if we want to avoid being rained on!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It soon becomes clear that rain isn't the problem. The temperature has dropped rapidly in the last hour. You estimate that you are almost 2/3 of the way to the Priory. The muddy spots in the path begin to crust over with ice. The sleet has turned to thick snowflakes, obscuring vision and muffling all sound. The sight would be beautiful if you weren't so miserably cold. Although the countless boughs of the forest protect you from the worst of the wind, the chill seeps even through your cold weather gear and armor, sinking into your bones.

Perception checks please. If you want to 'roleplay' your check you can add a new post. If you just want to add a roll to this post, that's okay too.
Edit - I also need a marching order. The path has room for two side by side or single file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [65] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.