Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan F
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HI I am very new to this game (3 total games played). tonight I was playing the regular 2 player game with my wife when I noticed that she was but 1 card away from having some sort of "cluster".

It was in the france version her buildings went:

windmill, bakery, grapevine, winery.

I had the cloister church.

I noticed at the end of the game had she had my cloister church she could've put out an enormous amount of reliquaries (or whatever). Instead she was giving me a work order to use this card, when she could as I was trying to use it often. I on the other hand had to find tedious ways to get 1 bread here or there and work order her for grapes, then wine.

So my question is are there other "card clusters" like this one? Are there more with the full set of cards, if we were to play the long 2 player version?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zilch zilch
msg tools
mbmbmb
In my limited experience with two-player France games, allowing the vertical integration of either wine production or bread production or stone making by your opponent is a disadvantage. And giving up all four bread/wine buildings seems fatal for a goods production strategy (which makes it ironic that you called it a "cluster").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan F
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thezilch wrote:
In my limited experience with two-player France games, allowing the vertical integration of either wine production or bread production or stone making by your opponent is a disadvantage. And giving up all four bread/wine buildings seems fatal for a goods production strategy (which makes it ironic that you called it a "cluster").

No way do I want to give up the last card!!! I want to notice this as a strategy and exploit it! also to know if there are others to look for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Webber
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
So I haven't played a huge amount either, but generally speaking having control of an entire production cycle is pretty huge(this is also true, maybe to a lesser degree, in Le Havre).

There are two advantages in Ora et Labora to having control of buildings:
- you don't need to pay to go them. Obviously not spending money is better than spending money.
- you use your own workers on them, and thereby get your prior back quicker.

I think the second part of this is actually a much bigger advantage than the first part. The extra action that having your prior available gives you in this game is huge. If you are paying someone to put their lay person on one of their own buildings, you are really paying two things - one, whatever resources you part with for the work contract, and two, the opportunity to use up one of your lay people.

IMO this is such a huge factor that if you have allowed your opponent to get control of an entire production cycle(e.g. windmill->bakery) you should be looking at adopting another strategy entirely(e.g. slaughterhouse) and only using the production cycle your opponent controls once in the game(as opposed to 2 or even 3 times for the one you control). In 3 or 4 player games, you just can't let your opponent corner a production cycle like this - because multiple people will be using their buildings repeatedly, they will be chewing through their lay people very quickly, enabling them to focus on grabbing building resources and making the most of their extra prior actions.

As far as obvious production cycles go, look at the buildings that generate lots of VPs and work backwards from them:
Chamber of Wonders (Cloister Chapter House)
Cloister Workshop (Peat Coal Kiln, Quarry)
Shipyard (Harbor Promenade, builders market)

In Ireland:
Chapel (Brewery/Malthouse, Whiskey Distillery or False Lighthouse or Sacred Site)
Refectory (Slaughterhouse)
Filial Church (Cloister Chapter House)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan F
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for giving this a name (production cycle) I knew it had one after I had noticed that she was one card away from a cycle I knew that this was an obvious strategy in a game that after the first play I was lost to find one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.