Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: [Lookout asks, Fans answer] Question 1: The major Improvement board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hanno Girke
Germany
Berne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As we're on a neverending quest to improve the game, I will give you a short poll from time to time.
Today, it is a very simple question: Do you use the extra board to place the Major Improvement cards on?
Poll
Do you use the Major Improvement board; would you miss it?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes, and I would miss it if there would be non in the future.
58.6% 140
Yes, but just out of habit, I don't really need it.
30.5% 73
No, I place the Major Improvements somewhere else.
9.6% 23
No, but I use the Scoring halp on the back side and I would miss it.
1.3% 3
No, but I use the Scoring help on the back side, though I won't miss it.
0.0% 0
Voters 239
This poll is now closed.   239 answers
Poll created by Hanno
Closes: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to put them somewhere - might as well be on the board designed for the purpose. Although, by now everyone knows the Major Improvements inside out so we could just as easily leave them in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Skedzielewski
United States
Augusta TWP
Michigan
flag msg tools
Who has two thumbs and likes Tacos....?
badge
...This Guy!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually just have them as a stack that can be passed around so you can read the various options available to you on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of our older small table, we had to be as space sensitive as possible, so we just put them in a grid in the middle of the table:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a scoring help on the reverse side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taylor
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genuine question: By what rationale could removing the major improvement board from the game improve anything?

Even if it does turn out that a minority of players prefer to use this board, removing it from the box essentially does nothing to improve the experience of those players who are unkeen on it.

I suppose it makes the box slightly lighter, but I can think of little else.

If you are considering a cost-saving measure, which is the only rationale I can personally see for contemplating the removal of this board, then it would show more respect to admit that this is the primary goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would appreciate the room in the box. That board is pretty much useless. I have never used it.

Though I am trusting that whatever money is saved goes somewhere useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
visit rollordont.com for a free computer game with a challenging AI player!
mbmbmbmbmb

We only use that board when we're playing "Farmers of the Moor". I bet lots of people do. Maybe you should add that as an option on your poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ugoi only use it when we play "FotM" since there are two tiers of Majors. Admittedly, even that isn't a stone-cold necessity, since it wouldn't be all that difficult to figure out what's available at any given time. Otherwise, in base game play, we just set the pile of Majors somewhere conveniently near the main boards. The MI board is, technically, chrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Berne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Violence wrote:
Genuine question: By what rationale could removing the major improvement board from the game improve anything?

Even if it does turn out that a minority of players prefer to use this board, removing it from the box essentially does nothing to improve the experience of those players who are unkeen on it.

If you are considering a cost-saving measure, which is the only rationale I can personally see for contemplating the removal of this board, then it would show more respect to admit that this is the primary goal.

Right now, we think about several options. And of course you're right: if we add chrome somewhere, we need to remove chrome somewhere else.
And from my experience with Ora&labora, I figure that - for example - using thinner card stock for player boards would not be as much appreciated. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wells Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
W Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Cobb wrote:

We only use that board when we're playing "Farmers of the Moor". I bet lots of people do. Maybe you should add that as an option on your poll.

Agreed I would find it harder to follow in FotM than the base game, although I use the board when playing with other people as they don't know the improvements as well as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjwells wrote:
Agreed I would find it harder to follow in FotM than the base game, although I use the board when playing with other people as they don't know the improvements as well as I do.
I had originally answered "I use it, but don't need it and wouldn't miss it," but went back and changed it after reading Ben's comment -- it reminded me of something very important, namely, that established players don't need the board, but new players are far more likely to find it extremely helpful. I tend to teach this game to a number of new players, and having as many aids as possible is an extremely good idea.

My vote is now for "I use it, and would miss it if it were gone."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Violence wrote:

Think outside the box...

Consider an expansion that replaces some or all of the Major Improvements. The old board would be obsolete with this expansion and the designer/publisher might want to know whether or not players would desire a replacement for use with the expansion -- or if they even use the original at all.

For the record, we use it, but we're still n00bs. Once we're more familiar with all the Major Improvements, we probably wouldn't need it... but we'd probably still use it out of habit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't miss it, but it does serve a purpose, as it's easy to see which Major is taken and not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Tor on this. Especially the Fireplaces and Cooking Hearths have to be tracked as you count your clay over and over to see what you can get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sooooo glad I have my copy of Agricola and Le Havre, after ora et labora I got really suspicious about the path Lookout is heading.

Hope it is indeed just thinking about an expansion with different majors and not the sort of improvement in playability we saw in O&L.

I am holding judgement until I see the new Ora et Labora print run and Goa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the board, but also made player aids since not everyone is within easy reach/view of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
tkzubaran wrote:
I am sooooo glad I have my copy of Agricola and Le Havre, after ora et labora I got really suspicious about the path Lookout is heading.

Hope it is indeed just thinking about an expansion with different majors and not the sort of improvement in playability we saw in O&L.

I am holding judgement until I see the new Ora et Labora print run and Goa.

Clearly the game publishing company is acting very suspiciously in an economy that's tanked, with oil prices (that must be used somewhere in the manufacturing/transporting process?) soaring.

I'm sure they're just trying to buy nicer cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryken C

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it because it forces us to put the cards in the same spot each time. As such, I can just look at the board and instantly know whether a certain card is purchased or not, and I don't have to hover over the table and try to figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.