England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
Android: Netrunner
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd share some of my favorite RL resistance stories:

Recently:
Seating order is A, B, Me, C, D, with A being the first leader. In the "spies open there eyes phase" I learn B is my fellow spy.
1.1: A proposes B and Me, I consider voting against it but decided that may be suspicious, I think everyone voted for this one (as is the current metagame in our play group, but I plan to change that next time I'm resistance). I play blue in to assure there isn't two sabotages and when it's revealed they are both blue. Res 1-0 Spies
2.1: B proposes A, B, Me, and the vote passes. B says something like "I'm resistance so have to play blue in" and I take this as a hint he's playing blue, I play red. Exactly one sabotage is revealed. Res 1-1 Spies
3.1: I propose Me + B, the vote passes and we both play blue. Res 2-1 Spies
4.1: C proposes Me+B+C, the vote passes, B gives a similar hint and there's exactly one sabotage. Res 2-2 Spies
5.1 It's D's turn to propose, at this stage A has cottoned on to the fact I'm a spy due my tenancy to play blue into missions as a spy to gain trust. I'm still confident as victory as I feel B will be included in the final mission team, no-one will expect him to be the other spy. Anyway, E ends up proposing Me+B+E, the vote passes and the mission has two sabotages, spies win.

Some time ago (I can't remember the exact details, but this is a game I'll never forget playing):
It's mission 4 (in a 5 player game so only one sabotage is needed) and I'm a spy, I'm the only spy on the mission and convince myself it'd be very clever to play blue in to gain the resistance's trust and hopefully win mission 5. Anyway, I'm shuffling the played mission cards and as I reveal then I suddenly realize, the Resistance has already won two missions. shakeblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops!

Thanks for sharing!

I hate it when they cotton on to me pulling the wool over their eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the werewolf game well enough but felt like it was missing something. I liked what I read about The Resistance, picked it up, was super psyched about it, and finally got a chance to play with enough people. We played twice that day. Game one, 10 people, no one had played before or really understood the mechanics, what was going on, etc. Dud. Nearly half gave up on it, but I and 5 others stuck it out to play again, this time with the expansion cards because we thought that would make it... not easier but more, I don't know, interesting. I personally enjoyed it more with the expansion cards and hope to play again sometime, though I'm not planning on throwing a party just to do it. I do really want to like it though.

What are your thoughts on the expansion cards? Your recount of events doesn't make it sound like you use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
Android: Netrunner
mbmbmbmbmb
krakrs wrote:
I like the werewolf game well enough but felt like it was missing something. I liked what I read about The Resistance, picked it up, was super psyched about it, and finally got a chance to play with enough people. We played twice that day. Game one, 10 people, no one had played before or really understood the mechanics, what was going on, etc. Dud. Nearly half gave up on it, but I and 5 others stuck it out to play again, this time with the expansion cards because we thought that would make it... not easier but more, I don't know, interesting. I personally enjoyed it more with the expansion cards and hope to play again sometime, though I'm not planning on throwing a party just to do it. I do really want to like it though.

What are your thoughts on the expansion cards? Your recount of events doesn't make it sound like you use them.

In the past we haven't used them much but we are starting to use them and I'm liking them at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've played a game where both spies were picked for all 5 missions. That would be...interesting. Things would definately be a bit touchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game without the expansion cards. It forces you to really try and understand motivations rather than getting actual answers. Why did this person vote yes here? Why did they vote no here? What changed? Who do they really think is a spy? Why did they propose a mission with him, but not that other guy? Do they know something, or are they just randomly guessing? If they do know something, do they know because they have figured something out? I will ask... if they don't have a good answer, they're probably a spy. Etc. Motivations for things is the number one driver of this game.

10 players, however, is a really hard way to start a Resistance career. That's 10 people who have no idea what they're doing or why they're doing it, and that really IS a flop. If at least one person has played or read some strategy here, and is Resistance, they can start pointing out the motivations and whys of it and build the game into something where deduction is actually possible. If Resistance members are just 'yes'ing everything, they're either approving a spy's mission or a Resistance-picked mission with a good chance of spies every time. Why would anyone approve a mission like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the expansion cards really adds depth to the information out there, while keeping the core "I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of me" mind games intact. For what it's worth

And to the OP: yup, spies can never afford to fake it on rounds 4 and 5. Either the resistance is ahead and they can't afford to give another one up, or the spies have sabotaged 2 missions, in which case if there's a spy on the current mission, they've already won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.