BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: The comedic potential of rape, revisited rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb

See, it's not that big a deal. I predict similar treatments in Family Circus before too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
I predict similar treatments in Family Circus before too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever.. but not the original text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

This one is clearly legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the original doonesbury, it would be similar to requiring a prostate exam with a 10" dildo if you wanted to get a vasectomy. Just to show you where the prostate was.

I wasn't aware it required a wand- I thought it was the belly ultrasound which would be a lot less invasive tho still invasive.

I was going to say it was an attempt by D to associate it with rape when it wasn't but then I recalled that using a beer bottle or other foreign object is considered rape or assault.

OTH, there is that key element of "choice". "if you want to get an abortion then you must agree to this".

Meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
I wasn't aware it required a wand- I thought it was the belly ultrasound which would be a lot less invasive tho still invasive.

If is is very early, an external ultrasound won't be able to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Regarding the original doonesbury, it would be similar to requiring a prostate exam with a 10" dildo if you wanted to get a vasectomy. Just to show you where the prostate was.

I was going to say it was an attempt by D to associate it with rape when it wasn't but then I recalled that using a beer bottle or other foreign object is considered rape or assault.

OTH, there is that key element of "choice". "if you want to get an abortion then you must agree to this".

Meh.

I'm not sure exactly where "if you want me to pay for you meds you need to have sex with me" sits on the "kind of rape-ish behavior" scale but can't imagine it's looked on too favorably even with the choice component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Meh.

I'm not sure exactly where "if you want me to pay for you meds you need to have sex with me" sits on the "kind of rape-ish behavior" scale but can't imagine it's looked on too favorably even with the choice component.

I agree but it's one of those Blue Pill / Red Pill kind of "choices".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wonder why we didn't see any whining about trigger warnings when these Doonesbury strips were made. No feminist bloggers whining about how they just don't find rape funny. I haven't seen a single demand for an apology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
I wonder why we didn't see any whining about trigger warnings when these Doonesbury strips were made. No feminist bloggers whining about how they just don't find rape funny. I haven't seen a single demand for an apology.

Anyone would think context is important in comedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
BagelManB wrote:

Anyone would think context is important in comedy.

would have thought being funny would be too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:

Because it's not a joke about rape being funny. It's a cartoon pointing out what the cartoonist thinks is a horrible step taken by the government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:

Aren't there a ton of articles about why this series got pulled from circulation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a joke about rape it's advancing a political point. The joke is the hypocrisy of the GOP preforming intimate procedures, on women who don't want them, based on an ethical claim.

Lets cross index this against Sickipedia... on second thoughts lets not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Because it's not a joke about rape being funny. It's a cartoon pointing out what the cartoonist thinks is a horrible step taken by the government.

Doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Doesn't matter.

Did you not read the bit about it not being a joke about rape being funny?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
monkeyhandz wrote:
This isn't a joke about rape it's advancing a political point.

And announcing that you totally got raped in Halo by your buddy, when actually all you did was get really shot to death, isn't about rape either. And yet that usage is also condemned by the "rape is never funny" movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

And announcing that you totally got raped in Halo by your buddy, when actually all you did was get really shot to death, isn't about rape either. And yet that usage is also condemned by the "rape is never funny" movement.

That's no where near as clear.

The joke in the above cartoons is obviously aimed at the absurdity of the new law.

Using rape in the context of someone shooting you to death in a game, firstly, isn't even a joke at all. It's slang, which is connected to being funny, but really the same thing. 'I got raped in that game' isn't a joke.

What it is doing is using the word rape to mean something bad happened. Which, considering how minor the bad thing happening to you was, can easily be considered to be making light of rape.

Even if you don't buy this argument, they aren't directly comparable circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Doesn't matter.

Beg to differ. This cartoon is making a statement that the law is akin to rape -- so a complaint that rape is never funny is no more on-point than it would be to an editorial about law or as a complaint about Against Our Will being published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Quote:

Hang on I think we are failing to take into account context here.

Many feminists and other right minded people would argue that 'rape' is so serious that it must not be used flippantly.

In my example it is not being used flippantly, it is correctly identifying the violating behavior of the state on the reproductive organs of women, with the political end of stopping such vile actives.

In your example it is some kids flippantly using the term for crude comedic effect.

These are not the same. To stop rape or activities that mirror the violation you need to use the term.

While I don't think rape is funny - I do think that people cope/discuss with horrible events through comedy so we need to be careful not to fetishise rape in a way that is reductive to overcoming it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Many feminists and other right minded people would argue that 'rape' is so serious that it must not be used flippantly.

Yes, this is the crux of the issue.

During the Penny Arcade "Dickwolves" debacle, one of the early key voices in the debate was the blogger at feminist blog Shakesville. The stated objections:

Quote:
But let us pretend for a moment that rape jokes do not convey and sustain the rape culture. That still leaves us with the other criticism on which critics' objections are based: That rape jokes trigger (some) survivors of sexual violence...

Someone who is triggered may experience anything from a brief moment of dizziness, to a shortness of breath and a racing pulse, to a full-blown panic attack...

I will never understand why anyone wants to be the total jerk who evokes someone's memories of being assaulted by blindsiding hir with a rape joke (or image, or metaphor, or whatever), in the guise of "humor." No "joke" is worth triggering someone. Not if you understand what triggering someone really means..."

Can one of the fighters against rape culture care to explain how the Doonesbury strip and its use of rape as a punchline is immune to the charges of insensitive triggering as described above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Quote:
But let us pretend for a moment that rape jokes do not convey and sustain the rape culture. That still leaves us with the other criticism on which critics' objections are based: That rape jokes trigger (some) survivors of sexual violence...

Someone who is triggered may experience anything from a brief moment of dizziness, to a shortness of breath and a racing pulse, to a full-blown panic attack...

I will never understand why anyone wants to be the total jerk who evokes someone's memories of being assaulted by blindsiding hir with a rape joke (or image, or metaphor, or whatever), in the guise of "humor." No "joke" is worth triggering someone. Not if you understand what triggering someone really means..."

Can one of the fighters against rape culture care to explain how the Doonesbury strip and its use of rape as a punchline is immune to the charges of insensitive triggering as described above?

It isn't, not completely. I don't really agree with the blogger that the dickwolves comic can be criticised in this way, at least no more than most other mention of rape in some form.

On the other hand the rape images evoked by the dickwolves comics are clearly different from the ones involved in the above comic. There's certainly a difference of scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.