Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Metcalf
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the VQ testers are allowed yet to give their impressions before the game even has come out but, if so, I'd sure like to know your thoughts on how you see the Major Powers best path to victory. In my one game at WBC, I saw the HRE sit back and marry and patronize. The Ottomans had valiant failure after failure trying to build the canal and neither attempted any military action. The Prots and I (France) beat each other up. Spain and England never came to grips either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick point (and I know absolutely nothing about game testing and have only enough knowledge about history to get myself in trouble):

Is that kinda historical (except for the Ottos canal failures)? The HRE mainly focused on diplomacy and did little externally, while the Ottmans did not stage many mainland campaigns during the majority of the time period represented by VQ.

How did you feel about the different strategies? Was it too open for some powers and too constrained for you?

EDIT: changed wording a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Metcalf
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, I was so involved in the French Civil Wars, I hardly knew what was happening elsewhere; one reason I'd like to hear from some testers who likely have played enough times to have some valid opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:

Is that kinda historical (except for the Ottos canal failures)? The HRE mainly focused on diplomacy and did little externally, while the Ottmans did not stage many mainland campaigns during the majority of the time period represented by VQ.

Without having found out a lot about Ottoman politics and priorities it is my understanding that Spain and the Ottomans both turned their back on the Mediterranean, the Ottomans in order to pursue conquests in Persia. This is off-board to the VQ map.

The Austrian Habsburgs accomplished little in this era because the Empire was too unwieldy, divided, and poor, and the Habsburgs more poor. It wasn't until the era of the 30 years war that an emperor with strong feelings against heresy took an active role. Even then international affairs consisted of other countries intervening in the Empire rather than the Emperor have external goals.

If the game does little to allow the HRE influence on foreign affairs, then yes, I think it's accurate.

PS I know enough to get myself in more trouble, is all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Metcalf
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I wasn't really talking about how historical the game is or the Power's options are. Just wanted to know better which options to pursue when I start playing it. The game I played ended after 3 turns (we were playing a tournament scenario). France and HRE were tied at 23 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
First off Mike thanks for letting me know more about the game. Hopefully we will start hearing more from other playtesters what the different strategies are soon! Plus I am sure within a few months of release there will be a lot of PBEM campaigns.

catmando wrote:
SW_Cygnus wrote:

Without having found out a lot about Ottoman politics and priorities it is my understanding that Spain and the Ottomans both turned their back on the Mediterranean, the Ottomans in order to pursue conquests in Persia. This is off-board to the VQ map.

The Austrian Habsburgs accomplished little in this era because the Empire was too unwieldy, divided, and poor, and the Habsburgs more poor. It wasn't until the era of the 30 years war that an emperor with strong feelings against heresy took an active role. Even then international affairs consisted of other countries intervening in the Empire rather than the Emperor have external goals.

If the game does little to allow the HRE influence on foreign affairs, then yes, I think it's accurate.

PS I know enough to get myself in more trouble, is all

I think that it is the opposite:

The HRE have some marriable nobles which it can use to play the other western European countres (each noble has different powers and abilities). Most important of all, if I remember correctly from the rules the HRE has 4x mercs which it can sell off to any western power. Basically he can offer troops to further his religious goal (he picks a side he wants to win, or balanced) or ensure balance of power in Europe). These extra mercs are off the board on the powercard of the HRE.

During the winter phase to HRE then decides if he once 2x Mercs or restore his 4x mercs (it goes down to 0x after each Dip phase, you either give them away OR lose them) he can trade for favors every turn!

Combine that with the bonus VPs he can earn for being the master of eastern europe you have a pretty interesting power who is always involved in foreign affairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.