Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gray
United States
Strasburg
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the things I love about World in Flames is that it is so adaptable to house rules (which is perhaps different from Variants but I figured this was a good topic).

Here are a couple I've had running through my head in recent years, but which I haven't played (alas!):

Stepwise HQ reorganization. Keep notes on the side (or draw out another track) and allow HQs to reorganize units in increments. Mannstein has five, one land impulse he reorganizes a land unit, he's got four left. The next impulse is a combined and he reorganizes an air unit, so he's got two left, etc.
Pro- Gets rid of the all or nothing aspect of reorganization. Could be meshed with offensive points.
Con- Requires even more table space to keep track of (if you use a track) each of the 37 (?) different HQs in the game.

Interchangeable CVPs. Let players change CVP counters between any on carriers and any in their reserve pools as long as they are the same model of plane. At Midway, didn't the Japanese get caught with munitions on their decks because they were changing what the planes were carrying? As long as a player has built at least two F4F CVPs, why not let them re-arm planes freely between versions?
Pro- Adds flexibility and some tactical decision making.
Con- Ability to upgrade without ever going to port for refit. Ability to teleport your best fighter version of a CVP around the map.

Does World in Flames need anymore variants or house rules? Probably not, but everyone does it anyway. So, those are out there for discussion. Please let me know what you think, and what I've missed in regards to impact on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on house rules. Your HQ one is interesting, probably pro-attacker since you don't face that hard decision "do I flip Manstein to reorg three units I really need now and 'waste' two reorg points, or wait?"

I've played with a house rule on CVPs that allows new CVPs to be built and appear on CVs in any port that is in-supply and can trace to the home country. I know in Real Life there were lots of ships plying the seas and the Shokaku or Enterprise didn't really have to go home to get new aircraft!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pleass
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas

The HQ reorganisation will definitely favour the attacker as Wendell says, additionally the HQ could presumably still move until it uses it's last reorganisation point? in which case it is even more beneficial for the attacker as supply for breakthroughs and rapid advances is easier. What about oil for reorganisation? if a HQ uses all bar 1 of it's reorganisation allowance it won't flip and therefore presumably doesn't consume oil to be reorganised itself?

I like the CVP house rule, makes life a lot easier.

Wendell - did I read in one of your excellent write up's that you have naval combat house rule too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndyP wrote:

Wendell - did I read in one of your excellent write up's that you have naval combat house rule too?

Not a house rule, but an optional rule from the 2008 Annual. It's randomized naval combat losses. In naval surface combat, owning player still chooses the target but drawn randomly from all surface combat ships that contributed a point to the surface combat (so you can screen carriers). In naval air combat, targets still chosen normal way (BB, CV, CVL, CA, TRS/AMP etc) but then chosen randomly (i.e., if I choose battleships against the US and the Texas, Arkansas, and Iowa are the three BB, pick randomly among the 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Morehouse
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The HQ's were designed to be used during a period of time, to save up reorg points would invite disaster for any defender. I would love to go into Russia with 20 reorg pints saved up per HQ. The horror...the horror...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gray
United States
Strasburg
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good points.

I had not considered the oil cost for re-org on HQs. There was the option to use an offensive chit to re-flip all your HQs, but that is an expensive way of doing it, and rather all or nothing. Also, there is an optional rule on pages 51 & 52 of the 2008 Annual (but not part of Factories in Flames) using offensive points to re-org an HQ at a cost of 1 more than the re-org value of the HQ in question.

One solution is to have any HQ with ANY re-org points used, cost the normal amount of oil for its type. After all you have used some of its ability, but if you haven't used all of it, you've gained the chance to keep moving with it.

A second solution would be to design a sliding scale of how much is used, and what effect that has on the HQ. For instance, if half of the re-org value has been used, then it's movement reduces appropriately, and it costs half the oil. It would take a little effort to design but could be built right onto the re-org track.

I don't forsee playtesting these ideas anytime soon, but I'll keep them in the back of my mind and let them percolate a bit. Who knows.

Thanks for the input everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.