Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joaquin Oliveira
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking about how great this game is and got me thinking about how fun it would be to have a Labyrinth tournament using Vassal , the only doubt in my mind is that if enough players would want to partipate in something like that , so I am here asking that million dollar question , would you be interested in being part of a Labyrinth tournament ??!!??
I know that many details would have to be discussed like which scenario to use or who would play as the Us and Jihadist and many more questions but for now I would like to know if enough people would be interested in thinking about creating a tournament , thanks. X ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Kehrer
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I would be interested in this, and I have a few ideas on how to run a tournament depending on the number of participants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Oliveira
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great , already 2 players that are interested , it would be a friendly tournament with players that want to have fun and respect each other .
Jordan , please share your ideas with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pbem or live?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Oliveira
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alex352 , that would be one of the questions to be answered by us , I would rather play live but I know how hard it is to get in sync with other people schedules so I guess that if you can and want to play live and your opponent at the time can do the same , great but if you guys can't , you would play Pbem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Kehrer
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The way I would do it would be like a swiss chess tournament. They have procedures in place to ensure an equal distribution of sides for each player. So in the course of the tournament, each person plays each side an equal number of times in a determined way. After a certain number of rounds, we'd rank everyone based on their performance and use the rankings to seed a single elimination bracket. During the bracket, the higher ranked person in each round would get to choose their side as "home field" advantage.

I'd also say that in the swiss rounds each game would be single deck and the elimination rounds would be 2-deck games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following this thread out of curiosity because I probably won't find the time to participate, but...

What kind of timescale are you considering for the tourney? I played one email game already and it took us 64 files over the course of two weeks. Looking back at the logfiles' time stamps I think we were pretty fast. If each side is able to produce a file once per day, a one deck game will take a month... And a tournament...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Oliveira
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jordan , great idea , I was thinking about something like that so we could balance the number of times that a player uses the Us side and the Jihadist one too and we can think about a tournament custom scenario too if someone thinks that the Let's Roll scenario gives an advantage to one of the sides , what do you guys think??
Carsten , great question and I was even thinking about a "half deck" kind of thing because of the time that takes to the game but in other hand , I am looking to make a fun tournament where players can play for months and have fun doing so , but we can all discuss that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If pbem, I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shryock
United States
Hillsboro
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested if it was pbem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JOliveira wrote:
Carsten , great question and I was even thinking about a "half deck" kind of thing because of the time that takes to the game but in other hand , I am looking to make a fun tournament where players can play for months and have fun doing so , but we can all discuss that too.

Hm, in that case I might be seriously tempted to join...
Thinking further... Will there be multiple games going on for each player? I could do one game, but I'd prefer not to do games in parallel to avoid confusion (Is that card already out? No, that's been in the other game...).
Then again, if there's a swiss tourney structure, we'd need a predefined milestone where a tourney round is declared over and new opponents are assigned?

I've got no experience with PBEM tourneys yet, so please bear with me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd join a pbem ladder (like the ones for Twilight Struggle and Washington's War) for Labyrinth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Oliveira
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all for the messages and ideas , I am kind of shocked that already almost 10 players said that they would be interested , the good thing about it is that we are doing this for the fun of it and not for money or anything like that (of course that when I win it all I would like to be called the Labyrinth Champion ).
I think that Pbem is the best option but it does not need to be the only one , if you are playing someone that rather play live and you wants to do it too , thats great, like they say in Argentina , it takes 2 to tango .
What do you guys think about the "half deck " idea?? the game has 120 cards and we usually will be drawing 9 cards each and of course 8 or 7 sometimes so that amounts to around 16 to 18 cards draw for each turn , making it a one deck game last around 6 to 8 turns , of course if it gets to the end of the deck , but all that genious math that I am making it , it is to talk about the idea that I had of discarding out of the game 20 cards , so the deck would have 100 cards and making the game last one less turn , would that be a good idea?? I will start to get the names of the players that are interested in the tournament so we can start getting things rolling, thanks guys . X ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JOliveira wrote:
it is to talk about the idea that I had of discarding out of the game 20 cards , so the deck would have 100 cards and making the game last one less turn , would that be a good idea??

That would add another degree of uncertainty regarding the availability of a few big cards. OTOH it might throw off game balance for the relatively small gain of one game turn. Is that really worth it?

One other thing regarding the schedule... Summer is coming up. I already know that I'll be on a holiday trip for two weeks in June. I won't be able to play during that time. As I said, I've got no experience with PBEM touraments, so how is this being handled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Vogel

Liberty Township
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would like to play, I have been looking for someone to play this game so that I can learn the game. If you don't mind having someone how has only read the rule book and followed the playbook exmaple; I would love to play either PBEM or LIVE (using vassal and skype).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do a round-robin similar to that of a chess tournament. If you play "White", you get the US. "Black", the Jihadists. Most points at the end of the tourney wins. Online resources will give you round-by-round pairings. In the reuslt of a tie at the end of the tourney, play a tie-breaker and draw for sides.

Round Robin Pairings by round

Simply put, if you have 7 players, you'd use the "7 & 8" player schedule. The player playing #8 would get a bye that round. But, it might not be an issue because if doing PBeM you can play multiple games at once and just log the results into a table. It would finish fairly quickly.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arik Yaacob
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in a PBEM tournament (with live gaming when possible). I only played the game once, and I don't see any problem with any experience level - as said, this is for FUN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_guy_1999 wrote:
If pbem, I'm in.

Same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morocco Mole
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be in.... if I beat you in our current game, can that count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Oliveira
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lmao , good one Morroco , I am using you as my training practice laugh, I will post the name of everyone that said it will play and we go from there , lets see how many players do we have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Oliveira
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok guys , here is the list of the users that are interested in joining , please if you dont see your name here and you want to join , just let us know , Mark Good , thanks for the round robin idea , are you going to join the tournament??? I hope that I didnt miss anyone and one more thing , we are doing it for fun , no money or anything involved , just to have fun and maybe get some Vassal opponents for other games that we play besides Labyrinth , so here are the names , please just confirm with me :
Gordon J
Jordan Kehrer
Laslo Horvath
Its Just a Ride (yeah that is his nickname here on BGG laugh)
Michael
Nick Avtges
John Vogel
Arik Yaacob
Alex A. H.
Morroco Mole

So 10 names right there and with me 11 , so as soon as we confirm that you guys are in , we will think about the pairings and see how we will structure the tournament when we know the number of players for sure , thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've two more players interested. I wanted to point them to this thread but the maintenance timeout got in the way. Will post now - can we wait another day or two...?

Oh, and I'd be in as well...

Cheers,
Carsten Bohne / dasher47051
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.