$10.00
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a member of the Geek for nearly five years now yet, for whatever reason, I never thought to ask the question inhabiting my thread's subject.

Monopoly was (arguably) modernized by the Talisman-esque titles (and then by utterly shattering the mold with games like Imperial, Caylus and Power Grid).

The Game of Life was modernized by Game of Real Life, Funny Friends and other light hearted, though admittedly crappy, games.

However, did the Clue archetype (what I'll just call Mysteries) get any notable updates?

Granted, one could argue Scotland Yard was a Mystery, and in such we have Fury of Dracula. They definitely work on a semi-deductive basis, but is there anything really brilliant that takes Mysteries further?

I've heard of Mystery of the Abbey, but have never really explored it as an option (well, until remembering it just now). Anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mb
There's also Mystery Express by Days of Wonder. And in the vein of FoD you have Letters from Whitechapel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's the Mr. Jack series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arguably, the genre continues with Tobago and (the hard to find) Old Town
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel might work, since the detective players use a process of elimination to work out where the Ripper is, and where his hideout is. Similar to Fury of Dracula.

Much like Cluedo, in theory there's only one way to be certain that you know what's in the envelope/where the Ripper is, and that's be eliminating every single other possibility.

In reality, the endgame becomes a test of your nerve, until finally you may have to make a 50/50 guess to avoid losing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clue, in my opinion, was 'fixed' by Clue: The Card Game, just as Monopoly was better implemented as Monopoly Deal Card Game. The point of the game, i.e. the process of elimination, survived; but the tedious roll-and-move on the board was removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Garrod
United Kingdom
Northampton
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally hate Cluedo, but the rest of my family loved it and this even more so

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-221B-Baker-Street-Board-Ga...

This version doesnt seem to be listed here but it was the one they played (in the 90s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go Take A Hike
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Where's the beef?!
badge
I don't think anybody's back there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Inkognito. You're not only asking questions of others to deduce information as the game progresses but you're trying to determine the identity of your secret partner, what your shared secret mission is, which two pieces represent the real identities of your opponents, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I've heard of Mystery of the Abbey, but have never really explored it as an option (well, until remembering it just now). Anything else?

That is the closest, mechanically, to Clue. It's a game where there is a deck of cards, of which one has been secretly removed, and the game is about trying to deduce which card is the one that was removed from the deck.

Another game of this mechanic, long out of print but having somewhat of a resurgence of interest as a result of ArtsCow, is Black Vienna.

Another oldie-seeing-resurgent-interest (in this case due to a bona fide reprint) that uses this mechanic is Sleuth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallet Ranger wrote:
Arguably, the genre continues with Tobago and (the hard to find) Old Town

Tobago would definitely get my vote as "More fun deduction game" ... (well ... is it really "deduction"? ... anyway ...)

Another game that is Clue-like (but not very highly rated) is Alibi. I think it plays a bit faster, and allows for a lot more players ... which can be useful when you're at a party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
badge
"No matter how low your opinion of Washington DC, it's nothing compared to Washington DC's low opinion of you."
mb
Mystery of the Abbey is very similar to Clue, but with added chaos. Clue works because you slowly deduce what cards other players are holding and tailor the accusations to reveal more information. For me, Mystery of the Abbey broke this mechanism in that players are often changing cards, and that made it nearly impossible to track who had what cards and therefore how to ask your questions.

The suggestions above all seem like good ones.

You may be interested in Mr. Jack, which uses movement and placement as a means to deduce the identity of Jack the Ripper. It's two-player only, and fairly short.

You might also like The Name of the Rose, which is, admittedly, more of a bluffing game than a deduction game (although you do try to deduce which pawns the players are scoring), but it's got the theme goin' on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoy Mystery Express. However, you will see varying opinions about it. Read some reviews around here and see if it will scratch your itch. It's a deduction game using cards, like Clue. You are trying to look at your opponents' hands to figure out who didn't dunnit, like Clue. However, there's no roll and move, there are a variety of ways you can look at your opponents' cards, there's a very interesting memory-based mechanism for figuring out what time the crime was committed, and it has a very satisfying Murder on the Orient Express vibe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to take a look at Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, if you can find a copy. In my opinion this is the best of the lot. The drawback is that the game uses specific cases so they aren't really re-playable. There are 5 expansion packs for the game that I'm aware of so there are a lot of additional cases out there to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
badge
"No matter how low your opinion of Washington DC, it's nothing compared to Washington DC's low opinion of you."
mb
A dark-horse candidate: Timbuktu, which is about moving your caravans across the desert, avoiding the thieves who steal your goods. Each player has cards that give them clues about where the thieves will strike, and as you pass cards you get more information. You try to avoid "parking" your camels in the spaces where thieves will hit, but you have to park your camels while you're trading cards, so you won't always have all the information and watching other players' movements will give you some ideas of what spaces to avoid as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, there was just a "clue-like" card game, Di Renjie, that funded last week.

Also, the new card game, Locke & Key: The Game might be a candidate. I don't think it's "clue-like" but it does fulfill the mystery part of the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'm more fond of Kill Doctor Lucky than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
Personally I'm more fond of Kill Doctor Lucky than anything else.

Also, 011 could be a nice addition, along with Letters from Whitechapel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Designer - AstroMiner & TactDecks: Reign of Heroes
mbmbmbmbmb
FiretopMountain wrote:
Clue, in my opinion, was 'fixed' by Clue: The Card Game, just as Monopoly was better implemented as Monopoly Deal Card Game. The point of the game, i.e. the process of elimination, survived; but the tedious roll-and-move on the board was removed.

Clue always strikes me as a couple of mechanics in need of an actual game. I cringe whenever my wife asks to play it, partially because I loathe the game, and partially because I still can't wrap my brain around what point the roll and move crap serves.

If something actually happenned on the board - a subgame even - I might actually enjoy this lothe this less, but for me the whole game boils down to a pointless roll and move coupled with an organizational/memory exercise. Neither of which is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
India
Bangalore
Karnataka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might not be a popular game, but have heard interesting things about Garibaldi: The Escape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
FiretopMountain wrote:

Clue always strikes me as a couple of mechanics in need of an actual game. (...) If something actually happenned on the board - a subgame even - I might actually enjoy this lothe this less, but for me the whole game boils down to a pointless roll and move coupled with an organizational/memory exercise. Neither of which is fun.

You know what Cluedo needs? Combat.

I'm going to knock up some rules and post them. D6 roll against a statline for each character, each character gets a weapon card for one of the Cluedo weapons. If you win a combat, you get to peek at the opponent's cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.