Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Coppedge
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"7.82 with 37 ratings," I thought. "That's pretty good! I wonder what those users think of Battlestar Galactica?"

richcharters wrote:
It would be nice to be able to select two games and then see how they are compared only by users who own (or have rated) both games.

I agree, richcharters.

Well, 37 users ain't so bad. Turns out 29 30 of them have rated both:

Conclusions:

BSG Express only fares a quarter of a point worse than Battlestar Galactica among users who have played both games!

Battlestar Galactica rates a 7.86 among the general BGG population. The few who have also tried BSG Express rate it a little higher, 7.998. So (unsurprisingly enough) it's more a case of "I liked that, so I'll try this too", not "That game was broken, but maybe this one won't be."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Nordstrand
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
Brettspillvideoer - på norsk!
mbmbmbmbmb
Really cool idea, I found myself being really interested in this once I saw the headline

I still haven't tried Express. I love the original, but it takes a bit too long to assemble a gaming night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
badge
Quote:
So (unsurprisingly enough) it's more a case of "I liked that, so I'll try this too", not "That game was broken, but maybe this one won't be."

True, it seems to be that way mostly. I, for one, was quite underwhelmed by the original BSG game, despite loving the theme and that type of traitor games, but BSGexpress did the trick for me. Seems I'm more the ohbalto kind of person, not so much oriecat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Missed me.

Mines 8/8. But I like the games for diffrent reasons.
BSG Express probably gets the slight lead as I just find these express games increasingly interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Coppedge
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Missed me.
Whoops! That's how you know I did it by hand. Updating...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really interesting. I wonder if it's skewed at all by the fact that in order to play my game, you actually have to put a lot of effort into making it. Once you've dumped 5, 6, or 7 hours into making a copy, you're certainly MUCH more inclined to like the game (otherwise all your hard work was for naught!).

I wonder how it would fare in ratings from people who simply played the game and didn't have any time or money invested in creating it.

Thanks for doing the research on this, Brian! Made my day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made me remember that I forgot to add BSG Express to my owned game... and then rate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Coppedge
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revisiting this question...

As of today,

BSG Express has 158 ratings, averaging 7.11 .
Battlestar Galactica has 14383 ratings, averaging 7.86 .

127 users have rated both games. Counting only those users,

BSG Express's average rating is 6.96 .
Battlestar Galactica's average rating is 8.01 .
On average, users rate Battlestar Galactica 1.05 points higher.

28 users rate BSG Express above Battlestar Galactica, on average by 1.46 points.
19 users rate BSG Express equal to Battlestar Galactica.
80 users rate BSG Express below Battlestar Galactica, on average by 2.18 points.

The correlation between the two games' ratings is 0.16 .

Among users who rate Battlestar Galactica above its BGG average of 7.86, BSG Express's average rating is 7.17 .

Among users who rate Battlestar Galactica below its BGG average of 7.86, BSG Express's average rating is 6.62 .

Among users who rate BSG Express and Battlestar Galactica equally, the average rating of both games is 7.26 .

A graph of the ratings differences:

The area on the left is users who rate BSG Express higher; the right, lower.

That may look lopsided, but you know what? Battlestar Galactica is the 22nd highest-ranked game ever, and 47 BGGeeks like BSG Express as much or more!

Edit 1: tweaked graph
Edit 2: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Coppedge
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the 19 raters who don't own, and haven't rated, Battlestar Galactica all rate BSG Express at least a 7 -- on average, 7.96 . They should try Battlestar Galactica!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for putting that graph together, Brian! That's awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.