Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Friendship is Love without his wings!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I just acquired Ghost Stories in a Math Trade - really looking forward to playing it as I love the iPad version (not beaten it yet though!!).

However, the cards have been laminated at some point. While this is fine for the moment, it will hamper my ability to get and incorporate expansions - I don't own a laminator, not do I really want to laminate my cards either...

So does anyone know who I would contact in the UK/Europe to try and obtain a replacement deck for the base game? I'd be glad to pay something for them if obtaining a new deck is a possibility

Many thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
badge
More Games Need ORANGE!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't find anything local, I have a replacement deck still in shrink from a promo pack I got. (It was to replace first edition cards so that they matched the expansions) I wish I could afford to just send them to you, but if you don't mind covering shipping, they are yours at just the shipping cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
If you can't find anything local, I have a replacement deck still in shrink from a promo pack I got. (It was to replace first edition cards so that they matched the expansions) I wish I could afford to just send them to you, but if you don't mind covering shipping, they are yours at just the shipping cost.

how does one go about getting this replacement deck? I never heard of such a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
More Games Need ORANGE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
shacky22 wrote:

how does one go about getting this replacement deck? I never heard of such a thing.

From what I recall, when White Moon came out, the cards were a different size than from the 1st edition of the game. They also changed one of the icons on the card (the one that means dice cannot effect the ghost). I don't know if it was announced or not, but I read on the White Moon forums that people emailed the company about it and got replacement decks. I did not do this as I have the 2nd print, but along with a replacement I got, they sent me a bunch of promos along with it. (Including some awesome promotional Ghost Stories chop sticks). In that pack was a brand new set of cards, but I didn't open them as I discovered that I didn't need them. I thought maybe I would keep them if my cards got worn out, but I sleeved them so that's not an issue. So instead, I held onto them in case someone needed them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the offer, Christopher! Currently I have emailed Repos Games to enquiry whether they have a possible replacement deck, but if that doesn't work out Id gladly pay the shipping for the cards.

I'll let you know within the week, or as soon as Repos reply...

Many thanks for your kind offer as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
More Games Need ORANGE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Repos is pretty awesome in customer service (at least in my experience) so I'm sure everything will work out for you . But of course in case it doesn't, my offer will stand non-the-less. Keep me updated cause if you don't need them, I'll want to know if I could offer them to someone else.

Take care!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele B
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
shacky22 wrote:

From what I recall, when White Moon came out, the cards were a different size than from the 1st edition of the game. They also changed one of the icons on the card (the one that means dice cannot effect the ghost). I don't know if it was announced or not, but I read on the White Moon forums that people emailed the company about it and got replacement decks. I did not do this as I have the 2nd print, but along with a replacement I got, they sent me a bunch of promos along with it. (Including some awesome promotional Ghost Stories chop sticks). In that pack was a brand new set of cards, but I didn't open them as I discovered that I didn't need them. I thought maybe I would keep them if my cards got worn out, but I sleeved them so that's not an issue. So instead, I held onto them in case someone needed them.

I had never heard about this before, is there a way to tell whether you have a first printing of the game, is it marked on the box somewhere? Has anyone ever posted a pic of the what the cards look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
More Games Need ORANGE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the box top art can be a clue. I'm not 100%.

1st print run had a red monk (male) and yellow monk (male) on the front.

2nd print run had a red monk (female) and yellow monk (male).

More on that here... Has anyone else noticed two different box tops for Ghost Stories?

Best way I know of though, is to look at the ghosts with the "No die can effect this ghost" center power.

Look at this file and the icon for that power. It's very similar to the icon on Nameless that has the power "white faces on the Tao dice no longer count as wild."
Ghost Stories - One page quick reference English

This is the new icon for the second print. (Center icon with shield)

As far as I know, besides some rule clarifications and minor changes to the solo game, that's all the differences.

EDIT: Clarified center icon for last two images
EDIT 2: Corrected information on card icons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Those are also the symbols used in the iPad game. Also, it looks like I have the first print run as well anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:

Best way I know of though, is to look at the ghosts with the "No die can effect this ghost" center power.

Look at Nameless in this image. That was the icon for the first run. (Center icon with red X over the die)

This is the new icon for the second print. (Center icon with shield)

As far as I know, besides some rule clarifications and minor changes to the solo game, that's all the differences.

EDIT: Clarified center icon for last two images

Those still aren't the same thing...
I recognize that Nameless middle icon from my 2nd print copy. That effect means "rolls of white pips have no effect as long as this wufeng ghost remains in play" vs. Repellent Beauty's which says you can't roll Tao Dice against that ghost (her).

And yeah, the 2nd print run and Ipad mention on Initiate mode, any 3 haunted villages means game over, as opposed to 1st print run which says 4 huanted villages or 3-in-a-row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
More Games Need ORANGE!
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Those still aren't the same thing...
I recognize that Nameless middle icon from my 2nd print copy. That effect means "rolls of white pips have no effect as long as this wufeng ghost remains in play" vs. Repellent Beauty's which says you can't roll Tao Dice against that ghost (her).

And yeah, the 2nd print run and Ipad mention on Initiate mode, any 3 haunted villages means game over, as opposed to 1st print run which says 4 huanted villages or 3-in-a-row.

I think you're right on that one. But I did find the old icon. It was very similar to the no white pips so I think that's why they changed it. Check out this old guide, it has the old icon on it. Same as the one above, but the red pip is forward and the "X" is across the whole die.

Ghost Stories - One page quick reference English

I'll correct my original post for future readers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no word from Repos Productions. Just so I have an idea, Christopher, do you know roughly how much the shipping for the cards would be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
More Games Need ORANGE!
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea, I've never shipped anything internationally before. I'll check it out and see for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.