Bomber Command» Forums » General

Subject: Rock Solid Rules and Great Solitaire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
I play to make my own history.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross posted from Consimworld:

Lee I just wanted to post a "jolly good show" on some of the most robust rules I've seen in a war game out of the wrapper - in the shape of Bomber Command.

I just came up for air having finally finished my first session and I had not one rules question or ambivalence - not even a double meaning to contemplate, you've done a wonderful errata-free job in my opinion (and that one erratum I did find related to a mere example of play - and a minor one at that!).

Hat's off sir! My bomber boys landed after an outing to Saarbrucken, a D level city in the south, and whilst our bombing was remarkably on the dot, we lost sufficient heavies to render a 14-point victory margin and a draw. Of 9 Mosquitos reported lost, only 2 were happily confirmed as accurate. We however, could not get the target to burn as as we'd liked, and we put that down to the a rookie effort in distributing the HE and incendiary loads in a productive pattern. We don't know where "Butcher" Harris will send us next time - but we plan on doing better.

Rhetorical question: Can Bomber command be played satisfyingly solitaire?

Answer: YES - and I'd rate it a 8/10 in doing so. A very high rating indeed.

And here's a pic of the Main Raid fully detected on the leg home - showing some modding on my part that took my fancy. That's Aachen further up burning to some Mosies that have long passed. We hit Essen and Bremmerhaven too.

(The second pic is Saarbrucken under fire - not enough bomb type pairings to convert into main fires despite a remarkable first-time on-target bomb run with no drift.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:

Answer: YES - and I'd rate it a 8/10 in doing so. A very high rating indeed.

I thought it was unplayable solitaire?
Now I must have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:

Answer: YES

So another question: HOW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm rather eager to know the answer to that question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just taken delivery of my copy an hour ago and off came the cellophane immediately. I`m off work this week (WOOT!) so can get stuck into my own Easter present!

And I also noticed a "1" given for solitaire on the box back - sad I thought but hey, Bomber Command is right up my street so I won`t moan.

Then I see this post giving it an 8/10 for solitaire.

Great!

And even the developer wants to know more. Tell us! Did you just "split yourself down the middle" as many of us solo gamers do or did you adapt a few rules?

I`m most impressed with the game so far by the way, though only read the rules through quickly and surveyed the components.

Thanks Mr B-W!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the main parts in playtesting I found was the allied deception plan and the intrigue about what the target city was , I just can't see how you can do that solitaire .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
I play to make my own history.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solo

Answer forthcoming

Got one more game I want to get under my belt to test some assumptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bertucelli
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Brinkman
South Africa
flag msg tools
BC Arrives
Bomber Command finally made it to the shores of South African and survived customs!

First impressions upon finding the gamebox inside a large cardboard box filled with more styrofoam than my bin could handle ... Lee, the box-art is by far the best I have in my collection and has usurped the forever-longstanding Flat Top RM box-art as my favourite!

Aside from the fact that the pack of British cards were mysteriously open (and all accounted for), the contents are simply beautiful. The maps are great and the player aids really look good.

Got some rule reading and counter clipping to do this week, so I can give this a trial run this weekend.

And yes, play will be solo, like a lot of my games. And for those who are wondering, with decades of having to play solo I'm pretty good at viewing both sides of a game board with an objective view of how to respond to the "visible" information that any hidden objective game presents. That being said, would love to play BC soon via vassal with anyone if they're interested...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bertucelli
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to join our Vassal wargamers Americas facebook page you can Vassal games there all the time. We are starting a BC/NF campaign game we have the rule to link the two together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Brinkman
South Africa
flag msg tools
Mike,

Do you have a link for that?

Bryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lehnen
United States
Bethalto
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how are you playing it solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Any updates on solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bertucelli
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have come up with a way of playing solo and it works great I don't have the rules written yet but we will play iy at Consim world expo this like we did last year if any of you are going this year. The Brits have there own AI and they use there cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.