Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I only play 2p and this game looks really great. But as most games have my doubts on how it plays 2p. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played 2p once, but it played quite well. It wasn't noticeably worse or better than multiplayer. One thing you want to watch out for is that a runaway leader is more of a possibility, since there aren't multiple others to bring such a leader down. But it's pretty quick with 2 (one hour or just over).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Malte
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played TMP from 2 to 5 players. With 3 and 4 Players (when everyone is fit in the game) is the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my 8 year old son a lot and he is pretty good at beating me. The only oddity of 2 player is that the spaces arn't blocked as often so it's a little less cut-throat on the main board. Also airstrikes can get out of hand if you're not careful.

It's enjoyable 2 players. Sure it's probably best with 3-4 but you can say that about most all games.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it 2-player as well (see my review) and we've had great fun with it. It's less constrained, and you need to stay up in fighters and espionage, but it works just as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As with a lot of games, 2P gets much closer to zero sum, with much less chaos, and will give you the best opportunity to prove your prowess over your opponent.

I haven't lost a 2P game yet, and I look forward to the day I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Thompson
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YESH
mbmbmbmbmb
In my limited experience, there is a lot of game here for 2P, but the game is different. Espionage is _lethal_* and airstrikes are game-enders; either the cost to initiate strikes (building bombings, not aircraft strafings) or their impact was too much to bear. This after only a few plays with the same player so that may say more about us than the game.

*Espionage and the denial of opportunities became such a threat that a mini-strategy developed to over-value buildings that required more workers to ensure that even if espionage'd, you would still have local-board moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
schmanthony wrote:
I haven't lost a 2P game yet, and I look forward to the day I do.

Is that a challenge? Will you come with me to Origins and/or Gencon to test that?

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beat the designer, win a copy with a signed concession of defeat? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that two-player, the game seems to be basically won by the person who gets air superiority quicker.

After a couple of strikes, they can effectively shut down their opponent's board, and force him to fight a losing battle with repairs. Once this has happened, we weren't able to see any way for the bombed player to recover, as the other player could just use his superior air production machine to out-produce the enemy, and keep on doing it every time the air-strike space comes free.

We're new to the game, so maybe there are counters we've not seen, but that was our experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fighting the Air Striker with a strategy of continual repairs is indeed a losing strategy. When your opponent has superior aircraft production, fight him with Espionage and building lots of cheap/free buildings. Also, most of the heavy aircraft factories need 2 engineers to activate. If you see your opponent get one of those factories early, before he has 2 engineers, try to have 2 engineers before he does.

You should only use repair once in a while if there is a building that is a huge benefit to you and cash is not a problem for you. If a building has 3 damage on it, repairing it in one turn for $5 is equivalent to buying that building for $5 from the Building Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the fact that air superiority in 2 player seems much more important than in multiplayer. I just got done playing a game with my father where I got a few early universities that let me nab a lot of contractors every turn, and the 3 cash 3 fighter, 2 bomber 2 fighter, and 2 bomber or 2 fighter factories. He didn't have the manpower to espionage all my buildings at once, and by the time he did I had a 10 fighter airforce and just needed to do the occasional airstrike to keep his fighter number down. The sheer action advantage over him proved to be too much to overcome. Sure I had to time my recalls to make it harder for him to snatch my factories, but with his board bending under the weight of so many damage markers it didn't really matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.