James Cartwright
England
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, picked up a copy of Road to Rivendell the other day and eagerly opened it and began reading through the new cards. I'd been wanting to get this adventure pack so I could make a deck with both Elladan an Elrohir in it. Soon I had made a deck with them, Eowyn and some of the other new cards.

Began to play the new adventure and Elladan and Elrohir equipped with Rivendell Blade and Dunedain Mark where easily destroying all the enemy orc cards, while Eowyn and Arwen quested with help from Bofur and West Road Traveller.

Wow I thought, this adventure will be a breeze. I soon had 20 progress tokens on Along the Misty Mountains and blew through the Goblin Gate and Orc Outpost knocking orcs down like nine-pins. Got to Approaching Rivendell without to much trouble and soon had 10 progress tokens on the quest.

I couldn't believe it, only three tokens left to go to finish the adventure! Started the quest phase exhausted heroes and allies, revealed encounter card......hmmmm....whats this then..... Orc Ambush.....what! the!, it does what!! ahh!, that would be 10 orcs put straight in the staging area then oh !$*!*&!!shake

P.S. I put this in as a session report 3 days ago just before the big crash and after waiting patiently have just found out it's not been accepted, well, thanks. I've seen and read worse.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McQ
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
That card late in the game is a killer as you've seen. Sleeping sentry is the other big one in the this adventure. Having cards in your deck or characters abilities that negate encounter\shadow cards is key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
England
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sleeping sentry has taken out arwen for me a couple of times, grrr!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
I've played four times now with my Three Hunters/Eagles deck. The first two were romps with me winning. The fourth was a close one with Gimli dieing at the doorstep, but Arwen making it home. In the third I drew Sleeping Sentry on the third turn as a shadow card and Arwen was exhausted from questing so game over. I've only drawn Orc Ambush once and there was an orc in the staging area at the time.

For me the quest isn't that hard, but there are a couple of treacheries that spell doom if you draw them at the wrong time. Having a Spirit character really helps (when doesn't it? :roll: ) so you can have a chance at cancelling treachery cards. You can't count on your attachments for playing spirit cards. Attachments, allies, and resources have a short lifespan on The Road to Rivendell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Přibyl
Czech Republic
Kladno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, when I'm reading about this pack I think we are playing something different. This scenario smoked us every time we play it. It's just the matter of time when Arwen is killed by some shadow effect or treachery card. We just can't stop all of them and use all healing on her. Last time we almost made it but then we were swept by Ambush! card witch meant 17 (!) orcs killed the first player (actually third shadow card killed Arwen). We never had such problems with scenarios rated DL6, 7 or 8. Any suggestions what we play wrong? We are quite desperate from witnessing Arwen butchered all the time. Thanks for suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, same for me, usually Sleeping Sentry as shadow effect, sometimes those effects that deal damage to allies. Went 2-8 against RtR, same result I got (with the same decks) against Massing at Osgiliath (DL9, RtR is DL4), putting RtR right up there, tied for #2 in difficulty, behind only Return to Mirkwood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Ambler
United Kingdom
Bradford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now played this one a dozen times or so, and am still trying.

Not sure if I will get through it as either Sleeping Sentry or Orc Ambush get me every time.

I will keep trying though as I must get lucky at some point. One Orc came out as the last card with no Orc in sight so that was great fun.

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.