War of the Ring (first edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Plastic Minis: 1e vs 2e rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Are there any differences between the 1st edition and 2nd edition plastic figures? Other than the addition of Gollum and different nazgul molds. Are the piece counts the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes but check vs the rule book to be sure you have the right counts as some shipments have had odd piece counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add that the 2e models are made of significantly softer plastic. Personally, I prefer the 1e ones, but YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
there are 2 versions of the 1e minis the original printing had slightly harder plastics but the later are the same as the 2e

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Second edition minis are also slightly larger than their ancestors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
Second edition minis are also slightly larger than their ancestors.

Are they? Roberto stated that same molds from the 1st edition were used for the 2nd edition minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer the second edition softer plastic minis.

They are more resistant to damage and unintentional abuse than that original harder plastics.

The down side is they are harder to paint. Ideally i would love to find a set of the 1st edition to paint up and use sparingly while keeping the main set for throw down games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Borh editions' minis are the same size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
atraangelis wrote:

They are more resistant to damage and unintentional abuse than that original harder plastics.

The down side is they are harder to paint. Ideally i would love to find a set of the 1st edition to paint up and use sparingly while keeping the main set for throw down games.

What's the downside to painting a set of the softer minis, would the paint be more likely to flake off as they bend?

The reason I'm asking is I plan to buy the second edition game and then paint the extra set of minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes paint adherence is the primary issue. If you primer and seal the figures you shouldnt have much of an issue as long as you dont play too much with the spears and banners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTM07 wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

What's the downside to painting a set of the softer minis, would the paint be more likely to flake off as they bend?

The reason I'm asking is I plan to buy the second edition game and then paint the extra set of minis.

aammondd wrote:
Yes paint adherence is the primary issue. If you primer and seal the figures you shouldnt have much of an issue as long as you dont play too much with the spears and banners.

Exactly,

The miniature is flexible, the paint drys rigid ( or more rigid than the plastics give). Thus painting the miniatures you will notice on areas of the figures that have the most flexibility cracks and eventual separation of the primer and paint layers from the figure reveal the plastic underneath. Similar effect on car bumpers after an impact. bumper looks fine but paint begins top spall...

The only way to prevent this is a good sealer that has some give , the downside is.. on rare occasions if you don't pay attention when sealing to the ambient conditions in your area your sealant can fog and ruin the entire paint job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My first edition (first run) minis are about a mm shorter than the second edition equivalents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
My first edition (first run) minis are about a mm shorter than the second edition equivalents.

I have a 2e mini (North Leader) as a replacement for my 1e set, and they look absolutely identical to me. Strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
Angry Martian wrote:

I have a 2e mini (North Leader) as a replacement for my 1e set, and they look absolutely identical to me. Strange.

You have to also realize that there isn't just one mold for the minis, there are likely dozens of them and there could be slight differences in them from one to the other. Mine are identical as well, although I haven't lined them up and compared each one to the mm to be sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Maybe half a mm, but the new guys are definately taller.

I first noticed that the new Mouth of Sauron sat higher in the saddle, but then I check and found its true of everyone. Even Hobbitses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.