United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Round Table
Donald and Erik are joined by Eric Summerer to talk about corners not to cut in games

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/webpage/obg-78-the-summerer-o...

Erik and Don review
Eaten by Zombies
Dr. Shark
Sentinels of the Multiverse Rook City
Draw Something
Off your Rocker
Acquire

Nate Owens reviews Rex

On Board Games is a proud member of the Dice Tower Network
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That Rex review was visionary!

The rest was alright, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree!

The best part of any episode is our guests, whether they appear in the round table or submit a segment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
I agree!

The best part of any episode is our guests, whether they appear in the round table or submit a segment.

Thanks for the opportunity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution to all the cards in Sentinels of the Multiverse was to make little paper bands for each deck, just held together with scotch tape. I had no difficulty fitting it all into the deck that way, though the home-made sculpy poker chips I have for keeping track of hit points need to be carried separately.

Now I just need to convince my gaming group that card games aren't boring :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool suggestion on the cards. I don't know why anyone would put cards in a baggy, that seems silly.

arrrh

(Then again I have Hugo's Amazing Tape.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with you folks on the current version of Acquire. In fact I prefer it to past versions which I feel are over produced. The simplicity and cleanness of the WotC version lets the game shine with the components neither being a distraction or a hindrance.

If an insert doesn't have a slot for cards I bag them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
schwarzott wrote:
If an insert doesn't have a slot for cards I bag them.

Most of my games with cards are still "bagged", but I have been using Hugo's Amazing tape lately and it works pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to replace "this game" with the name of the game, and then you don't have to add it later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
Try to replace "this game" with the name of the game, and then you don't have to add it later

Very true.

Thinking on it though I may have only gone back to add the name once or twice in my history of editing. Which probably speaks to my laziness more than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
kabutor wrote:

Very true.

Thinking on it though I may have only gone back to add the name once or twice in my history of editing. Which probably speaks to my laziness more than anything.

It was pretty good this time. I appreciate that you guys are trying to do better with that. More generally, I think it's great that you are taking constructive criticism and working to improve it instead of taking offense.

In any case, not saying the name of the game enough seems to be a problem with every gaming podcast (and I think a problem with reviews in general - movies, books, or whatever - anytime the audience is likely to have any kind of divided attention). You guys were not the worst (you can take that as my seal of approval, "On Board Games - certified not the worst"), by a long shot. But almost everyone can stand to improve on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
kabutor wrote:

Very true.

It was pretty good this time. I appreciate that you guys are trying to do better with that. More generally, I think it's great that you are taking constructive criticism and working to improve it instead of taking offense.

In any case, not saying the name of the game enough seems to be a problem with every gaming podcast (and I think a problem with reviews in general - movies, books, or whatever - anytime the audience is likely to have any kind of divided attention). You guys were not the worst (you can take that as my seal of approval, "On Board Games - certified not the worst"), by a long shot. But almost everyone can stand to improve on it.

That's interesting, because I often have to keep myself from mentioning a game too much when I write reviews. It sounds redundant and just breaks the flow. At least to my ear, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Il Defanso wrote:
That's interesting, because I often have to keep myself from mentioning a game too much when I write reviews. It sounds redundant and just breaks the flow. At least to my ear, anyway.

If you're writing it in text, then I would think the name of the game doesn't have to be repeated nearly as much, because the reader can always look back and see it. It should still be more than just in the title of the review or the first sentence, but I think style issues with not being repetitive might take precedence (I wouldn't know, I tend to have a problem with being repetitive when I write - maybe I should try to be less repetitive when I write because it gets repetitive). In an audio review, we only hear the information and aren't able to go back as easily. And I think the human brain is notorious for throwing away information that we only hear once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the Ra player aids, I happen to agree with you, and I've printed them out for use with my copy of the game. However, there is a significant contingent that doesn't like the player aid and will request that people don't use it, because they don't like it when people stack their tiles. I can totally understand this point of view, even if I don't adhere to it myself. Just goes to show that not everyone's idea of a good player aid is universally accepted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not stacking tiles? You mean don't stack rivers or don't stack pharos?

In any case, a well designed player mat can help communicate how it was intended to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Not stacking tiles? You mean don't stack rivers or don't stack pharos?

Yeah, especially Pharaohs, where it's really important to know exactly how many each player has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild.

We stack them all the time, even when we weren't using the aid. It's not tough to see how tall the stack is, or difficult to ask. Plus, I ask all the time just to keep people with Pharos bidding on them when they may not need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
they don't like it when people stack their tiles.

Ra players are required to stack tiles of the same type. Anyone who fails to stack like tiles is cheating. Stagger your stacks to keep them easy to count. Read the rules.

Back to the episode: I think Power Struggle was hurt by its bad translation. They put the English rules up on BGG and asked people to help with translation. People made suggestions, but it turned out the publisher had already printed English boards including two mistranslated words. The company got defensive, took down the rules, and published it with rules clearly not written by a native Anglophone.

Witch's Brew has 60 text heavy cards, yet the spells you are buying are afflicted with language neutrality. My character card says "charm spell" but the word "charm" is not on the spell card. They didn't even put a picture of Drood the Druid on the spell card, I have to match the picture of the pot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Phrim wrote:
they don't like it when people stack their tiles.

Ra players are required to stack tiles of the same type. Anyone who fails to stack like tiles is cheating. Stagger your stacks to keep them easy to count. Read the rules.

Anyone who doesn't stack their tiles should be ceremonially beaten with a large idol of the Sun God Ra - and may only fight back if they happen to have sequestered on them an equally useful beating stick shaped like Aten.

On a slightly more serious note - I don't think that players are cheating if they don't stack their tiles any more than they are playing the game wrong if the game board isn't in the middle of the table.

Some of the people I've known have placed the tiles in rows, some stacks, some staggered stacks - it doesn't really matter as long is it is readable (both to that player and to others).

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.