Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We can all agree that the premier game on the Civil War Peninsular Campaign is "On to Richmond." Sadly, it’s now running between $200 to $300, and I’m not about to pay that for a game that may never hit the table. So I ask you Civil War gamers who know the field better than I, are there any other games out there on the Peninsular Campaign? I’m not referring to the Seven Days, but the entire campaign from March through July, 1862.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forged in Fire: The 1862 Peninsula Campaign

Forged in Fire is good block game by Worthington, with simple rules and decent fog of war. It has pretty forgiving supply rules that don't apply any negative consequences for not being able to trace supply, except for the inability to draw replacement troops. This means the Union can act uncharacteristically aggressive, but then any wargamer will likely act more aggressively than McClellan regardless of the supply rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Horace Silver: The Cape Verdean Blues || Horace Parlan: Happy Frame of Mind || Dexter Gordon: Doin' Allright || Hank Mobley: Roll Call
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you're talking about that peninsula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Thought the same either

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peninsular_War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmb
Birth of a Legend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

This looks interesting, but it focuses more on the Seven Days than the entire campaign. I was going to recommend Lee Takes Command, but that is also about the Seven Days and not what the OP is looking for. I have long regretted not buying On to Richmond! when it was published. Are there any other games on the entire campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
Forged in Fire: The 1862 Peninsula Campaign

Forged in Fire is good block game by Worthington, with simple rules and decent fog of war. It has pretty forgiving supply rules that don't apply any negative consequences for not being able to trace supply, except for the inability to draw replacement troops. This means the Union can act uncharacteristically aggressive, but then any wargamer will likely act more aggressively than McClellan regardless of the supply rules.

agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Andrew. Looks like what I'm looking for, even if it's not On to Richmond. I just now ordered it, so maybe you should ask Noble Knight for a commission. Now to find someone who will play it with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
L4D2 wrote:
Thanks, Andrew. Looks like what I'm looking for, even if it's not On to Richmond. I just now ordered it, so maybe you should ask Noble Knight for a commission. Now to find someone who will play it with me.

i have played it ftf but i also have enjoyed it solo in spite of it being a block game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It has pretty forgiving supply rules that don't apply any negative consequences for not being able to trace supply, except for the inability to draw replacement troops. This means the Union can act uncharacteristically aggressive, but then any wargamer will likely act more aggressively than McClellan regardless of the supply rules.

Imagine this conversation between McClellan and Randolph B. Marcy, the general's father-in-law and Chief of Staff:

Marcy: "General, the recent Confederate cavalry raid has revealed the exposed position of our supply line. Perhaps we should execute a change of base to the James River. Our troops could be supplied with barges."

Little Mac: "Barges? We don't need no stinking barges! Forget about the logistical requirements for our lavishly equipped army of 100,000+ soldiers. On to Richmond!

I have no doubt that Forged In Fire is an entertaining game, but it really isn't about McClellan on the Peninsula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair to Forged in Fire, you can change your base of operations to the James River, and you really cannot sustain a campaign without a valid line of supply since after a single battle, if you can't draw replacements and your opponent can, you're basically screwed.

The supply rules do allow, however, the Union to fight a battle with no valid line of supply with no detrimental impact, but only once (see point above). This still allows Gen. Player more flexibility than Little Mac exhibited, but then I always believed the timidity he displayed was more of a personal flaw than of a realistic assessment of the importance of a supply line.

Lee would often march off and allow is supply line to be questionable (and live off the land) for short stretches. Forged in Fire allows the player to explore "what if" Little Mac did the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The big problem with any game about the Peninsula Campaign is the same you have with any game about Antietam and that's how do you simulate a player being McClellan without forcing them to take drugs to induce extreme paranoia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Laux
United States
Sparks
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
L4D2 wrote:

Tuesday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Norris
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmb
If you don't mind just the Seven Days Battles you can combine Seven Pines, Gaines Mill, and Malvern Hill into one monster game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
mrbeankc wrote:
The big problem with any game about the Peninsula Campaign is the same you have with any game about Antietam and that's how do you simulate a player being McClellan without forcing them to take drugs to induce extreme paranoia?

Forge In Fire has a little Mac chart that works very well. it's called the 'McClellan Confidence Track'. it involves certain positive and negatives things happening which causes the marker to move up or down to the union advantage or disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heagerty
United States
Stephens City
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

I was disapointed too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
Bloomsbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Can't be bothered. I'm a hero who never fails, remember?
badge
Hey! That's MY super energy pill!
mbmbmbmbmb
mheagerty wrote:
Sphere wrote:

I was disapointed too.

Size isn't everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.