Recommend
27 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Titan» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Reminder to Self: Do NOT try it. Your Titan doesn't have enough protection..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Senki
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my and my son's first ever game, I unwisely attacked quickly with my initial Titan legion and was out after a single battle. A couple nights later, we played again, but this time we both saw the danger, so we went off and mustered a while. Feeling pretty good, having gained a Gargoyle advantage, I again attacked with my Titan legion, and again my son took me out in the first battle.

So, for our third game, last weekend, I was determined to just keep my Titan legion away, safe and sound, and let the minions do the heavy lifting. I'd gotten the hang of pretty efficient mustering and I rapidly filled my legions with goodies. I was ready to turn to a systematic advance, but... now that I noticed it, that humble little enemy stack was indeed closest. Surely, now I had plenty of protection, clearly more than enough to manage. And it would get the point tally off and moving upwards...

With Lions roaring, I engaged him in the Plains and everything that transpired did so according to my plans. I'd taken apart his Gargoyle flank and tied up a lumbering Cyclops out of the action. His Angel was down 3 hits, and it was obvious the time had come to move my 6-6 Titan out from his hidey-corner and finish the job. Quickly, neatly, and decisively. It had taken three games, but now I saw the proper way to play the Titan legion. In a barrage of hits, his Angel most assuredly did go down.

Then, my son picked up his dice and threw 4 sixes and 2 fives, inflicting 6 hits on my previously unscathed Titan in one tremendous, decisive and jaw-gaping blow. We both sat staring at the dice for ten seconds before a very broad grin began to emerge on his face. Once again, my six-year-old son had won after a single battle I had initiated with my Titan legion.

Reminder to Self
If you are certain that this time is different, do NOT try it. Under no circumstance attack anything with your Titan legion and if approached or ambushed, run like an open faucet. Remember, your Titan does NOT have enough protection to execute your carefully weighed and incredibly inventive plan. Ever.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because your kid will always get the 1/64 roll.

I love Titan.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a note- it's very risky to attack a legion that has an angel with your Titan stack if it's still just at 6. On average, an Angel will kill a Titan in 2 rounds. And since the Angel can move 4 spaces and fly, it can be nearly impossible to keep your Titan safe from the Angel. if you ever leave him open, the Angel can fly in, and as long as it survives one round of combat, it will probably kill your Titan.

12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider the Titan stack safe until I have at least a pair of Giants or Dragons, along with medium-weight characters to flesh out the legion. A 6-6 Titan is just a youngling!

In a multiplayer game, even if you'd succeeded, your depleted Titan legion would be running from predatory hunter-killer stacks of Rangers, followed by stacks of heavier Creatures. And it's hard to muster properly if your priority is survival. You'd be forced to run and pick up whatever Creatures you can muster just for the warm bodies, thus disrupting your long-term mustering strategy.

Just thinking about Titan strategy boosts my adrenalin level!

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a cool story.

However, in 2-player Titan, all you're looking for is a chance to win that's meaningfully above 50%. So an attack that has a 25% chance of generating an instant loss could be a good decision in some circumstances.

The other benefit is that you're getting to play a lot of Titan games without taking forever to do it.

"1000 games to shodan"
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
It's a cool story.

However, in 2-player Titan, all you're looking for is a chance to win that's meaningfully above 50%. So an attack that has a 25% chance of generating an instant loss could be a good decision in some circumstances.

The other benefit is that you're getting to play a lot of Titan games without taking forever to do it.

"1000 games to shodan"


Yeah, if you're attacking their Titan. But if you're risking a 25% chance at an instant loss just to gain some points attacking some junk legion...it's doubtful that that will ever be a good move.

Also, you really don't want to judge solely based on getting past 50%. It's easy to be in a stronger position than the other player, so that even if you have a 60% chance of winning an encounter you're better off to hold off and muster some more before attacking. Or wait until you can attack with your other powerful stack that doesn't contain your Titan, so you aren't risking defeat. It could easily be true that you have a 60% chance of winning if you attack, and a 40% chance of losing...but a 90% chance of winning if you don't attack, and wait until an even better situation comes along.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Are you summoning your angel into these battles? Attacking with the titan legion makes more sense when you are willing to bring an angel into a battle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.