Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought it showed some promise.

Smallworld Tabletop

I really enjoyed it, I was kind of shocked that it clocked in at 1/2 hr, but that was a good kind of shock, they really are shooting for a full length show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Pence
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was very well done. If they maintain this level of quality and fun in the overview, the show should do very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wil Wheaton's dialog seems a bit over the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed to show. I was on the live Geek and Sundry 12 hour marathon watching and couldn't wait for this. I was Jelous at how easily and efficiently Mr. Wheaton Explained the rules....I am so bad at explaining rules..lol

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
Select a state/province (U.S. and Canada only)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoyed that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Board game shows need a bit of over the top

I liked it a lot! After 20 minutes I got a bit bored with watching other people play a board game, but it's enjoyable to put on in the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Friday night I played Small World for the first time so a review of the game is great timing. thumbsup

Just watched the first 10 minutes during my lunch break and I like it. I will catch the rest after work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lasted approximately 10 seconds before the guy's crazed head-jerking and annoying cadence turned me off completely. I can promise you that THIS will not cause board games to 'go mainstream'.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
I lasted approximately 10 seconds before the guy's crazed head-jerking and annoying cadence turned me off completely. I can promise you that THIS will not cause board games to 'go mainstream'.

shake

Of course THIS will not cause board games to "go mainstream", I don't think that anyone thinks that a show on Youtube is going to do that, but what this show will do, is introduce a few new folks to boardgaming that will be following Geek and Sundry, along with entertaining those that already play those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the show's comments section, it appears that many who thought they would not play this kind of game, were quite happy to seek Small World out after seeing the show. I think it will help out sales of whatever game they play because they make it look fun...as fun as any other game in someone's mainstream game cabinet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to watching his later at home
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:

:shake:

I don't think anything in particular will make board games go mainstream, does that mean the video is useless? Even if it converts one or two people to look outside of Target for board games, it would have succeeded in my opinion.

Other than drawing new people into boardgaming, I really enjoyed it, I like Wil Wheaton (only from Big Bang Theory), the professional video editing, camera work, and content will definitely have me watching the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OnlyHuman wrote:
cannoneer wrote:

shake

I don't think anything in particular will make board games go mainstream, does that mean the video is useless? Even if it converts one or two people to look outside of Target for board games, it would have succeeded in my opinion.

Other than drawing new people into boardgaming, I really enjoyed it, I like Wil Wheaton (only from Big Bang Theory), the professional video editing, camera work, and content will definitely have me watching the next one.

You mean "inside" some Target stores; they already carry Smallworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
never seen a show like that with such a list of credits..LOL

But it was fun and a good way to watch games, it might really help people who are not gamers get into gaming. What great publicity for board games that are accessable to the general public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Tierney
United States
Greensburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

I agree, but I lost track of that once the show really got going. It was fun to see the banter between the players, and I look forward to seeing who else they get on as guest stars.

It's not the best boardgaming webshow out there (my personal favorite is Shut Up & Sit Down), but I thought it was a lot of fun. The production quality is through the roof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked it!

Wil is out there, for sure, but I think it keeps it lively and fresh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Revolution! in the background. The others were pretty much expected, but Revolution! surprised me until I forgot that Steve Jackson does Munchkin and it as well. I can see Ticket to Ride easily the next one or Catan. Jumping out of gateway games might be a stretch, but some day would be pretty neat to see what they could do with some.

I can think of a couple of other games accessible to this show, especially concerning Wil's attitude, quotes, and mannerisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
I can see Ticket to Ride easily the next one or Catan.

Its already mentioned that Catan is the next episode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Watching people banter while enjoying & promoting our hobby is an automatic win for me. I thought Wil Wheaton did a great job, & he made me appreciate a game that's not in my library & that I've not yet played.

Something like this is great for our hobby & I loved watching it. If they made 500 episodes like this, I'd watch them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the episode was awesome. Wil is just how he is. And he managed to make Small World look exciting, so kudos to him.

I will continue watching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
H4msterbacke wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
I can see Ticket to Ride easily the next one or Catan.

Its already mentioned that Catan is the next episode!

I wonder how many 7's they are going to roll? That can really slow the game down if there is a big influx of 7's in a row. Or a lot of Mhuhahahha's throughout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of critiques in case Wil reads BGG still. I'm not going to post in the sea of positive feedback on Youtube.

First off, this is a first episode, so obviously kinks will be worked out over time.

1) I think this show was probably only good for people who already know how to play the game. Spending an extra few minutes on game mechanics etc would do wonders. The production value is obviously being spent on this show, so you should be capable of a concise rules summary.

Take a look at videos by Board To Death, Starlit Citadel, or even the old Timothy Pinkham videos for an idea of what you are looking for. They usually float in around five minutes or so. If they are covering simpler games like SW and Catan, it can be done in five minutes for sure!

They could even release a separate quick How-To video alongside the main video.

2) The show jumped around quite a bit and the banter was forced and felt fake. It might not have been fake, but it felt that way.

I would like to see more arguing. "Real" friends can trash talk more directly. The over-acting wore on me after about 8 minutes or so.

3) Going along with Point #2, I didn't feel the people were real. Hopefully there will be some recurring gripes that carry over from game to game and show to show.

4) The episode could be MUCH shorter. You want to shoot for under twenty minutes, especially if you make a separate How-To video.

You can cut out less eventful rounds, especially if there is some more in depth "How-To" beforehand. You can also have a bit more setup before KEY turns to give the audience an idea of what's at stake.

We don't to just see over-acting throughout the entire game. Bring THE AUDIENCE into the game and the player's personalities.

You also didn't need to break down the scoring stuff every round. Even though you sped through it, it's still extraneous and unimportant to the viewer.

5) Small World is probably tricky to do with all of the caveats and all of the variable powers. I didn't like the cuts with the text of each power's abilities. That will (probably) completely overwhelm someone who doesn't understand the game. It's also not necessary EVERY time someone chooses a new race combination.

6) There were SEVERAL humorous moments. But it was tough to make it through the rest of the show to get to those moments. Maybe some more editing and shortening will help this.

Again, if you setup the game flow and we can get an understanding of the player motivations, you can STILL have those humorous moments in the show... even for people who don't know the game.

7) I did enjoy the focus on the game decisions throughout the video. The show should be as much about the game (if not more) than the players/actors. The show should involve the audience more. I just wish there wasn't so many non-stop decisions over and over and over. It becomes overwhelming and numbing....

-edit- (edited for grammar and runon sentences)

This comment was way too long for Youtube anyway.

I should end with... I think there is a good show in here somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was quite fun!
Remember, the target audience isn't "mainstream" people, but other geeks who aren't yet as involved in boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F.
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit off topic, but in regards to the guests on this episode:

In comments on the internet, you often see "XX brought me here!" or "omg look it's XX" or even "Whoa XX likes it so now I'm buying it!" in reference to a variety of different people.

That being said, I don't think I've ever seen the sheer amount of comments like than for anyone else other than this Day[9] guy. Every single thing he touches is immediately flooded by comments like that.

I don't play Starcraft II so I'm not involved at all in the community, but man, he must be their god or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice show. I guess the only missed opportunity was that there was a LOT of reading, which struck me as odd. All those interstitial descriptions of race combos would have been better served by an insert of player who took it describing how the combo works (recorded after the fact, obviously), both for variety (so all the rules didn't come from Will), and also to cut down on the text text text.

I certainly don't think the show taught anyone how to play Smallworld, but that wasn't the point. The point was to get people excited about the possibility of playing Smallworld, and for that I think it did very well.

Hats off!

p.s. I'm also very glad they didn't mention iPad availability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.