$10.00
Recommend
117 
 Thumb up
 Hide
218 Posts
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [9] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: First episode of Tabletop is up and running rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
he is deliberately looking to recreate a "Celebrity Poker" style show, and with that goal in mind, he succeeds brilliantly here.

Agreed, however, it succeeds in being more than that because Wheaton also delivers a brief overview of how to play the game and gives stratgegy tips along the way, too.

The breakaway segments done during the intervals between rounds with each player spilling their guts about their respective strategies, mistakes and successes were also nicely integrated into the mix.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Valairia wrote:

The show does exactly waht it is suppose to do, bring in borderline people to learn more about gaming and the games and possibly bring them deeper into the board game community.


Oh really, doesn't gaming have enough borderline people as it is?


I hope this was said tongue in cheek. If not, then it reeks of snobbery. Just because the people on this forum play games that most of the population have never heard of does not make us superior to any 'borderline' people. If I mistook your intent then I apologize.

I actually like this show...it is fresh and introduces a new game without the usual review formula. I know how to play Small World but that did not stop me from enjoying the table banter and the explanation - which was way better than most game reviewers explanations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
Clive65 wrote:
If I mistook your intent then I apologize.
.


You totally did. But, you better figure it out before
committing to an apology. You might regret it in the end.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:
Quote:
he is deliberately looking to recreate a "Celebrity Poker" style show, and with that goal in mind, he succeeds brilliantly here.


I agree. I used to enjoy watching Poker shows every once in awhile and that was the exact impression I got from the show.


I have a curiosity. How many shows in a row of Small World could people watch? Let me state off the bat that I hate watching poker on TV, especially celebrity poker (that might be part of my issue). I used to stomach the World Series when it was on ESPN, but not for very long.



Not much for me. I enjoyed watching Poker sometimes, but like you said the professional level was much better and even then I never planned on it. It was more something to have on in the background or to watch if I couldn't sleep at night. I wouldn't really have that same draw to watch people play other games, unless it was the same situation as when I was watching Poker. I could see myself watching it while I play Dominion on isotropic for example.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
I thought the video was pretty great. Looking forward to the next one!
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so glad to see somebody bring in to existence an idea I had a long time ago, but no fire or resources to pull it off. Great job Wil. That idea: get at least semi-attractive people to play and enjoy a board game and project a sense of fun that represents a certain important ideal of what many of us like about board games in hopes that more people will perhaps catch a little fire of interest for this hobby.

It did feel slightly forced at times, but nothing too over the top. And the audience really is Geeks. No non-geek is going to watch a tv show about people playing a board game in the first place.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
mb
blindspot wrote:
I was so glad to see somebody bring in to existence an idea I had a long time ago, but no fire or resources to pull it off. Great job Wil. That idea: get at least semi-attractive people to play and enjoy a board game and project a sense of fun that represents a certain important ideal of what many of us like about board games in hopes that more people will perhaps catch a little fire of interest for this hobby.

It did feel slightly forced at times, but nothing too over the top. And the audience really is Geeks. No non-geek is going to watch a tv show about people playing a board game in the first place.


I agree with the BOLDED... but obviously not all geeks are boardgamers so some of that wider population of geekdom that watches other geeks having fun playing tabletop games is a Good Thing™ for the boardgaming hobby in general.

This show isn't revolutionary or anything, but just having the extra exposure on a professional looking show like this is a sign the hobby is getting a little more mainstream every year. The iOS conversions/translations (although I personally dislike them) are also gradually exposing and mainstreaming the hobby.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this show was awesome. I really enjoyed the banter, and didn't feel it was scripted at all but merely a bunch of clever funny people trying to make each other laugh. Wil's comments when the Nomads would die were especially funny. This is the best type of gaming, when you have a group that has good social skills.

The rules explanation was just right, and the editing was great. It made me realize I need to get Small World to the table more, as it's a great game.

I cannot wait to see more of this show. A+!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Stevens
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dustinfertilla wrote:
Edit: just to clarify, I meant "pretending" as in they aren't focusing on playing the game, but rather are focusing on making the show. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some episodes had fixed results or pre-determined starting hands, etc.(They are playing the game to film it, not filming themselves playing a game) *edit 2* Clearly they are physically playing the game and it isn't imaginary or anything.


The games are real. There's no reason to stack the deck. If a game is fun, then it's fun no matter how it turns out.

Also, you saw the live dice rolling. When game outcomes are based on dice, you can't predetermine or script the game in advance.

You also REALLY can't script a game with a new player, like Jenna was.

The question here is why you feel the need to create a "they stacked the deck" conspiracy theory for a situation where there is NO DISCERNABLE BENEFIT to doing so.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:
The games are real. There's no reason to stack the deck. If a game is fun, then it's fun no matter how it turns out.

Also, you saw the live dice rolling. When game outcomes are based on dice, you can't predetermine or script the game in advance.


You are right, it would be impossible to film multiple takes of a die roll until you got the one you wanted.

Quote:
You also REALLY can't script a game with a new player, like Jenna was.


Why?

Quote:
The question here is why you feel the need to create a "they stacked the deck" conspiracy theory for a situation where there is NO DISCERNABLE BENEFIT to doing so.


If you can make the show more interesting by having a game come down to the FINAL dice roll, or the FINAL card draw, it will be more interesting than one where another player gains a big lead halfway through the game and cruises to a victory with twice as many victory points as the next player.

That is a discernible benefit.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Fertilla
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:


If you can make the show more interesting by having a game come down to the FINAL dice roll, or the FINAL card draw, it will be more interesting than one where another player gains a big lead halfway through the game and cruises to a victory with twice as many victory points as the next player.

That is a discernible benefit.


Absolutely it is.

I don't think it's a bad thing or ruins the show in any way. It's just something I'd assume they would do. And I'm sure a lot of other people would think so too.

They are making a show, NOT playing a game.

Edit: Also, that is not a conspiracy theory, it's show business.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
dustinfertilla wrote:


Edit: Also, that is not a conspiracy theory, it's show business.


No need to get nasty.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
dustinfertilla wrote:
Quote:


If you can make the show more interesting by having a game come down to the FINAL dice roll, or the FINAL card draw, it will be more interesting than one where another player gains a big lead halfway through the game and cruises to a victory with twice as many victory points as the next player.

That is a discernible benefit.


Absolutely it is.

I don't think it's a bad thing or ruins the show in any way. It's just something I'd assume they would do. And I'm sure a lot of other people would think so too.

They are making a show, NOT playing a game.

Edit: Also, that is not a conspiracy theory, it's show business.


Sorry, but this is just silly to me. They wouldn't spend the time or money needed to do multiple takes. It's not that big budget of a show.

That's why they put the markers on the board, because it was all being done in one take.

I don't see any reason to think this show is anything other than what it presents itself to be.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think rigging the game would be a move that is prohibited by Wheaton's Law. Because really, that's a pretty ___ thing to do.

(If you really don't know Wheaton's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wil_Wheaton#Wheaton.27s_law)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Schandi wrote:
They will play "Alhambra, Elder Sign, Settlers of Catan, The Last Night on Earth, Dixit, Munchkin, Star Fluxx, Say Anything, Fiasco, Dragon Age RPG" and other games

Fiasco the RPG? I'd tune in for that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This video was really great. I enjoyed it and laughed quite a few times. These guys are having fun playing and these are the types of gamers I want to play with. I love table talk and trash talk, especially for light take that types of games like Smallworld. Good stuff!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Fertilla
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:


Edit: Also, that is not a conspiracy theory, it's show business.


No need to get nasty.


I'm not sure how that was perceived as nasty.

I'm expressing my opinion just like everyone else, especially after people refer to my viewpoint as a "conspiracy theory" (that has some harsh implications, does it not?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
dustinfertilla wrote:
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:


Edit: Also, that is not a conspiracy theory, it's show business.


No need to get nasty.


I'm not sure how that was perceived as nasty.

I'm expressing my opinion just like everyone else, especially after people refer to my viewpoint as a "conspiracy theory" (that has some harsh implications, does it not?)



shake

Sometimes I forget that the boardgame hobby
is a lot more mainstream than I'm used to.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Fertilla
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:


Edit: Also, that is not a conspiracy theory, it's show business.


No need to get nasty.


I'm not sure how that was perceived as nasty.

I'm expressing my opinion just like everyone else, especially after people refer to my viewpoint as a "conspiracy theory" (that has some harsh implications, does it not?)



shake

Sometimes I forget that the boardgame hobby
is a lot more mainstream than I'm used to.


I don't understand why you insist on making sure everything you say on here is totally off topic and reeking of snobbery
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dustinfertilla wrote:
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:


Edit: Also, that is not a conspiracy theory, it's show business.


No need to get nasty.


I'm not sure how that was perceived as nasty.

I'm expressing my opinion just like everyone else, especially after people refer to my viewpoint as a "conspiracy theory" (that has some harsh implications, does it not?)



shake

Sometimes I forget that the boardgame hobby
is a lot more mainstream than I'm used to.


I don't understand why you insist on making sure everything you say on here is totally off topic and reeking of snobbery


The internet fails to convey humor well. whistle
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:


Edit: Also, that is not a conspiracy theory, it's show business.


No need to get nasty.


I'm not sure how that was perceived as nasty.

I'm expressing my opinion just like everyone else, especially after people refer to my viewpoint as a "conspiracy theory" (that has some harsh implications, does it not?)



shake

Sometimes I forget that the boardgame hobby
is a lot more mainstream than I'm used to.


I don't understand why you insist on making sure everything you say on here is totally off topic and reeking of snobbery


The internet fails to convey humor well. whistle


There really should be an easily recognized sarcasm font for forums.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
Vacabck wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:


Edit: Also, that is not a conspiracy theory, it's show business.


No need to get nasty.


I'm not sure how that was perceived as nasty.

I'm expressing my opinion just like everyone else, especially after people refer to my viewpoint as a "conspiracy theory" (that has some harsh implications, does it not?)



:shake:

Sometimes I forget that the boardgame hobby
is a lot more mainstream than I'm used to.


I don't understand why you insist on making sure everything you say on here is totally off topic and reeking of snobbery


The internet fails to convey humor well. :whistle:


There really should be an easily recognized sarcasm font for forums.


That would spoil all of the fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Fertilla
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Vacabck wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:
calandale wrote:
dustinfertilla wrote:


Edit: Also, that is not a conspiracy theory, it's show business.


No need to get nasty.


I'm not sure how that was perceived as nasty.

I'm expressing my opinion just like everyone else, especially after people refer to my viewpoint as a "conspiracy theory" (that has some harsh implications, does it not?)



shake

Sometimes I forget that the boardgame hobby
is a lot more mainstream than I'm used to.


I don't understand why you insist on making sure everything you say on here is totally off topic and reeking of snobbery


The internet fails to convey humor well. whistle


There really should be an easily recognized sarcasm font for forums.


That would spoil all of the fun.


i got owned. x_x
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Or
United Kingdom
Paisley
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really curious why the biggest critics of the show are video reviewers.
Now, is it because you've done it before so you can see the flaws better or feel threatened that the very 1st video in the series got over 300,000 views already, which is simply impossible for any other reviewer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shin0509 wrote:
I am really curious why the biggest critics of the show are video reviewers.
Now, is it because you've done it before so you can see the flaws better or feel threatened that the very 1st video in the series got over 300,000 views already, which is simply impossible for any other reviewer.


Actually, it's because I want it to better, precisely because it got so many views. There's no way I could ever pull something like this off.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.