$10.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Recording Plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I want to apologize if someone has asked this before, but I was unable to find it if so. Any advice on recording plays when mixing sets? I really don't want to record a play in both Dominion and Dominion: Prosperity when I mix the decks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
twood1972 wrote:
First, I want to apologize if someone has asked this before, but I was unable to find it if so. Any advice on recording plays when mixing sets? I really don't want to record a play in both Dominion and Dominion: Prosperity when I mix the decks.

Everyone has a different opinion.

Personally, I always record the full game details under Dominion as that is the "game" I played. I then record a game played on the same date for the expansion(s) involved with no other details.

I do this so that all my games played are logged under one entry but I can quickly see how much use each of my expansions are getting at the same time.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a thread a few months ago where I asked the same question:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/731856/recording-plays-w...

Lots of responses, but no consensus.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
twood1972 wrote:
First, I want to apologize if someone has asked this before, but I was unable to find it if so. Any advice on recording plays when mixing sets? I really don't want to record a play in both Dominion and Dominion: Prosperity when I mix the decks.

Everyone has a different opinion.

Personally, I always record the full game details under Dominion as that is the "game" I played. I then record a game played on the same date for the expansion(s) involved with no other details.

I do this so that all my games played are logged under one entry but I can quickly see how much use each of my expansions are getting at the same time.


This is pretty much what I do, and for the same reason.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
twood1972 wrote:
...I really don't want to record a play in both Dominion and Dominion: Prosperity when I mix the decks.


This is going to sound like a dick answer but isn't intended that way:

Why not?


Is it because you don't care to record which expansion you used, and just want to know how many times you have played 'Dominion' in all it's permutations? In that case, just don't log Prosperity.

I like to log all expansions played (so I can see how often each gets used), as well as the base game, but the fact that Intrigue is a stand-alone game really messes this up. Logging Dominion and Intrigue for the same game would result in my number of played games being out (would count as two games played).

(Even more confusing, BGG treats Board Game Expansions as a subset of Board Games - your Owned Board Games includes games + expansions, and it is the same for your recorded plays. Your profile page lists Board Game Plays and Board Game Expansion Plays, but the first one is actually board games PLUS expansion).

My way around this is to log EITHER Dominion OR Intrigue to count as the base game (Intrigue if any cards from that set are present, Dominion if they are not) and all other expansions if they are present. The end result of this is I can get my total 'Dominion family' plays by adding my Dominion and Intrigue plays together, and I can still tell how many times I have used each expansion (including Intrigue).

So even if I played a game with only Seaside kingdom cards, I would log Dominion and Seaside. If it was 8 Seaside, 1 Dominion and 1 Intrigue, I would log Seaside and Intrigue.

tl;dr version: do whatever makes you happy
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
Why not?


A couple of reasons, I'd say.

One, it's more work, you have to enter stuff multiple times.

Two, it ruins the stats, both your own, and BGG in general. If I play 3 games with cards from 3 sets, and I record all 3 sets each play, then my stats show that I played 9 games that day.

I didn't play 9 games, I played 3. The same inflation happens on BGG cumulatively.

It's simpler to record one play under the base game, and use the Notes field to enter which expansions were represented (2 cards Seaside, 3 cards Prosperity, etc.)

Finally, when BGG finally implements the expansion system in the recording plays system, you'll have more work to do to correct things, going back and erase all those extra plays. I can just call up the old play, look at the note, and mark which expansions were used.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
superbgg wrote:
Why not?


A couple of reasons, I'd say.

One, it's more work, you have to enter stuff multiple times.


Absolutely, no arguments there!

UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Two, it ruins the stats, both your own, and BGG in general. If I play 3 games with cards from 3 sets, and I record all 3 sets each play, then my stats show that I played 9 games that day.


I wouldn't say it ruins the stats, if you read the stats right.

My profile page tells me:

Board Game Plays 2427 Total | By Month | Last 30 Days | Chronological
Board Game Expansion Plays 860 Total | By Month | Last 30 Days | Chronological


I know that to get my actual number of plays I need to subtract the expansions from the Board Games. 2427 - 860 = 1567.
Exactly the same applies with my Collection. BGG tells me I own 90 Board Games, 36 expansions. When in actual fact it is 90 games including 36 expansions (mb )

UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Finally, when BGG finally implements the expansion system in the recording plays system, you'll have more work to do to correct things, going back and erase all those extra plays. I can just call up the old play, look at the note, and mark which expansions were used.


Do we have any details or examples on how the new system will work yet? Or is it just they are making it "more betterer". How do we know I will need to correct anything?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
I wouldn't say it ruins the stats, if you read the stats right.

I know that to get my actual number of plays I need to subtract the expansions from the Board Games. 2427 - 860 = 1567.


True, you can sometimes do the math. But lots of times you can't or it's tough work. For example, because Intrigue is officially a base game, every recorded play of Intrigue and Dominion together is not in the expansion total of 860, they're both in the main game list. Which means that your 1567 is too high. You'd have to analyze your Intrigue play log and count how many are paired with base game entries and calculate that.

Quote:
Do we have any details or examples on how the new system will work yet? Or is it just they are making it "more betterer". How do we know I will need to correct anything?


We don't know a lot, other than recording expansion plays is a planned enhancement. Interface wise, I'm expecting a set of checkboxes in the record play box that we can mark off with any or all that we had in play.

It's still a long way off, but I'm dutifully recording everything I need to accurately go back and update.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing the accountant game better than Dominion anyway. This all sounds like a lot of fun.

Of course, you can just open up Excel (or your favorite spreadsheet) and make a log that you like without blaming BGG for this whacky feature.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
For example, because Intrigue is officially a base game, every recorded play of Intrigue and Dominion together is not in the expansion total of 860, they're both in the main game list. Which means that your 1567 is too high. You'd have to analyze your Intrigue play log and count how many are paired with base game entries and calculate that.


Which is why I say in my post above:

superbgg wrote:
My way around this is to log EITHER Dominion OR Intrigue to count as the base game (Intrigue if any cards from that set are present, Dominion if they are not) and all other expansions if they are present. The end result of this is I can get my total 'Dominion family' plays by adding my Dominion and Intrigue plays together, and I can still tell how many times I have used each expansion (including Intrigue).

So even if I played a game with only Seaside kingdom cards, I would log Dominion and Seaside. If it was 8 Seaside, 1 Dominion and 1 Intrigue, I would log Seaside and Intrigue.


To paraphrase Elvis: "you can do anything that you wanna do, but don't step on my data collection techniques"



FlatOnHisFace wrote:
I like playing the accountant game better than Dominion anyway. This all sounds like a lot of fun.


laugh I'm pretty sure everyone else has already unsubscribed from this thread anyway. snore laugh

FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Of course, you can just open up Excel (or your favorite spreadsheet) and make a log that you like without blaming BGG for this whacky feature.


And again, from my earlier post:

superbgg wrote:
tl;dr version: do whatever makes you happy


cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pseudonym
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how this is different than recording plays from any other game with an expansion. Just do whatever it is you do when you want to record an Arkham Horror game played with the expansions, or a Cosmic Encounter game with the expansions, or any game with the expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.