21 Posts

Indonesia» Forums » Rules

Subject: clarification on shipping multiple goods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
klav klav
msg tools
As the rules were not explicit on this we decided to use following houserule:

When operating a company every crop of that company that can be shipped must be shipped and each crop can be transported using a different line (taking into account hull size ) to a different city.

Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have a good idea of it, but you use the word 'different' a lot.

Basically, when operating a company, you must ship as much as possible. You can use each ship once per hull level of the ship owner. You can deliver to a city based on its capacity and what is already in it. If it still has capacity, you can deliver there.

After that company has operated, the cities shipped to still have those goods, so the next company can't reuse that capacity. However, shipping capacity is reset, and the next company can reuse the same ships you used, even if you used them to full capacity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
klav klav
msg tools
the thing that was not entirely clear is that f.e. you have 5 crops that you can you can ship 2 to city A with the blue shipping company and 3 to city B using the yellow shipping company, with appropriate hull sizes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, as long as the cities can accept that many goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
klav klav
msg tools
great, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do actually, explicitly state that you must ship as much of your goods as is possible - even if it means you must pay more for shipping some of it, than you'll make from the delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Lyndhurst
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This exact same issue came up yesterday but there is a bit of rules-lawyering you can do here which involves the ORDER in which you ship your goods. You can make an argument that since the shipper is allowed to decide the order in which he ships, can effectively prevent himself from having to ship the goods to farther destinations.

It's not clear whether you need to find the absolute maximum BEFORE you begin shipping or if you have the option to ship in an order in which you can minimize your necessity to ship across someone elses ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is clear. YOU MUST SHIP AS MANY GOODS AS POSSIBLE. If you do it in some order that doesn't make you do that, you have broken the rule, haven't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall what the official rule is, but the way I've played is like the 18xx rule about always choosing the most profitable route: If somebody else points out a different way for you to ship more goods, you must do it that way instead. i.e. you aren't really breaking a rule if you accidentally pick a suboptimal shipping plan and nobody else notices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really not too hard to figure out, though... most of the time the number of ships at your shores is the maximum you can ship, so if there are enough ships and there are left over goods, we all try to make sure it's a legal move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Lyndhurst
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoting the rule a second time doesn't really help. If I'm allowed to chose the order in which I ship the goods, I can make a scenario where it is NOT POSSIBLE to ship anymore. Therefor no rule has been broken since in my scenario, it is NOT POSSIBLE to ship anymore goods by the rules.

I have a feeling your interpretation is what was intended buy the designer but I was just trying to point out that there is some ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do the rules state there is any sort of order to selling goods? It happens simultaneously, even if you cannot keep up with it... the gamestate really changes all at once, even if your physical manifestation of it cannot. I have not sold goods... then I have sold goods... there is no, 'I've sold one of my goods, now I sell another...' even if that's what you do, it's not in the rules, therefore you cannot sell this good here and that good there to avoid selling good #3 should you otherwise be able to - you didn't ship all your goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Lyndhurst
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Where do the rules state there is any sort of order to selling goods? It happens simultaneously, even if you cannot keep up with it... the gamestate really changes all at once, even if your physical manifestation of it cannot. I have not sold goods... then I have sold goods... there is no, 'I've sold one of my goods, now I sell another...' even if that's what you do, it's not in the rules, therefore you cannot sell this good here and that good there to avoid selling good #3 should you otherwise be able to - you didn't ship all your goods.

Good point. I guess this was just an assumption I made that they are done in a given order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you read "I'm allowed to chose the order in which I ship the goods"?
There is no "order of goods shipping by company" - it exists only in your mind.

mattnaik wrote:
Quoting the rule a second time doesn't really help. If I'm allowed to chose the order in which I ship the goods, I can make a scenario where it is NOT POSSIBLE to ship anymore. Therefor no rule has been broken since in my scenario, it is NOT POSSIBLE to ship anymore goods by the rules.

I have a feeling your interpretation is what was intended buy the designer but I was just trying to point out that there is some ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Lyndhurst
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marliv wrote:
Where do you read "I'm allowed to chose the order in which I ship the goods"?
There is no "order of goods shipping by company" - it exists only in your mind.

mattnaik wrote:

Yep, I got that turbo. As posted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think perhaps one more person saying it would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was too slow to write those two sentences and didn't see it already answered.
Sorry.

mattnaik wrote:
Yep, I got that turbo. As posted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had been faster, you wouldn't have done it either - see, I went and looked up the rulebook again to make sure it didn't say anything about the order of goods being sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have always played this wrong, but I'm not completely sure so I wanted to confirm now. I have always played it where if the "blue rowboats" shipping company has a hull capacity of 2, you can only ship 2 goods on it per company total.

Reading the rulebook, I think the correct way is that each company may ship 2 goods on each physical ship token of the "blue rowboats" shipping company.

Do I have it correct now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Rustin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I think I have always played this wrong, but I'm not completely sure so I wanted to confirm now. I have always played it where if the "blue rowboats" shipping company has a hull capacity of 2, you can only ship 2 goods on it per company total.

Reading the rulebook, I think the correct way is that each company may ship 2 goods on each physical ship token of the "blue rowboats" shipping company.

Do I have it correct now?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:

Pretty sure you've got it right... but to be excruciatingly clear: if you have to use a chain of ships to transport 2 goods from place to place, you can't use any of the ships in that chain to transport more goods. You can still use other ships owned by the same company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.