flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Seriously.
I'm not kidding.
Hand 'em over.
Or your fired.
Now.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/grade-school-tea...

Quote:
Grade school teacher’s aide fired for refusing to hand over Facebook password

Kimberly Hester, a grade school teacher's aide in Michigan, was fired for refusing to hand over her Facebook password to her supervisors. Hester posted a picture of a co-workers' shoes and pants bunched around her ankles on Facebook in April 2011 with the caption, "Thinking of you." She posted the picture in jest, but a parent who's on her Facebook friend list saw the image and reported it to Frank Squires Elementary where Hester was employed, prompting the investigation.

Teachers have gotten in trouble for Facebook status messages before, but in Hester's case, it's her refusal to hand over her password that actually got her fired. One of the supervisors from the Lewis Cass Intermediate School District (ISD), the regional service center for education in Michigan, even wrote her a letter when she refused to give them her password for the third time. Part of the letter read: "... in the absence of you voluntarily granting Lewis Cass ISD administration access to you[r] Facebook page, we will assume the worst and act accordingly." Lewis Cass wanted to put Hester on a paid administrative leave before they fired her, but she chose to go on an unpaid leave because she believes she did nothing wrong. She plans to use the letter she received to sue the school district.

An increasing number of companies and schools have started asking employees and students for their Facebook passwords. The practice has been growing at such an alarming rate, that Facebook released its official stance on the issue, telling its users that they have the right not to comply with their employers' request. Several politicians including Michigan's own State Representatives Aric Nesbitt and Matt Lori have been pushing for bills that will make the breach of privacy an illegal practice. Unfortunately, it hasn't been going very well for them — the House of Representatives recently rejected a legislation that would protect your passwords from employers' prying eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very stupid supervisor to put that in writing, as it would be a violation of Facebook's TOS to hand it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
Mine is "NSA4ever".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't get why they wanted the password.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Quote:
Grade school teacher’s aide fired for refusing to hand over Facebook password
She posted the picture in jest, but a parent who's on her Facebook friend list saw the image and reported it to Frank Squires Elementary where Hester was employed, prompting the investigation.

This is the difference between facebook friends and actual friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Adelson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Well, I see the otherness of being other is otherwise contraindicated
badge
Who cares where it came from or whether it's correct or not? Certainly not me
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

So they could enlist her unwitting help with Farmville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You are full of poisonous refuse and insane foolishness.
badge
I had not supposed or expected your arrogant spirit to seek such a ridiculous and childish reason for lying; you should have better reasons.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is that picture even worthy of investigation? What is wrong with people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hunter2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Nor do I. I find the whole thing confusing. Something is missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
quozl wrote:

Nor do I. I find the whole thing confusing. Something is missing.

Really? It's been in the news recently. I thought there was another thread on it.

As social networking sites are becoming more popular, employers are basically demand access to your side of your FB profile to see if you have anything negative on it.

So this mom reports this teacher, and the school wants to see what she has, because you can edit your settings. The teacher refuses, and gets the can.

Personally, it's stupid, and I wouldn't want to work for anyone that demands my password, and just goes to show you should be very careful who you decide to "Friend".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Seriously.
I'm not kidding.
Hand 'em over.
Or your fired.
Now.

Wait...are you offering me a job?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking for the password isn't the right way to go about it but you are responsible for whatever you post on the internet and your employer has a right and in the case of a school a responsibility to monitor it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
Asking for the password isn't the right way to go about it but you are responsible for whatever you post on the internet and your employer has a right and in the case of a school a responsibility to monitor it.

How so? Why is monitoring my facebook page any more the right or responsibility of my employer than monitoring my e-mails, my post or my telephone calls?

If someone doesn't have all the privacy things set up, and the kids in the school can access it freely, then there's some justification. If not, it's been made private enough and it's none of their business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
sbauer9 wrote:

I will be unsurprised if the expression of this position results in a number of heated responses. Thank you for expressing it anyway, and I hope you don't take those responses personally.

Why does a school have more of a right/responsibility to monitor communications over the internet (presumably you mean on the web) than over, say, phone lines? If all material on the web were accessible by anyone, I could see this position being more plausible, but the very fact that they needed the password in order to see the content means that it wasn't a public communication. The most similar case I can think of would be an email to a list of friends, which (perhaps so long as it's sent from a non-work account from a non-work computer) seems not to be one's employer's business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
Asking for the password isn't the right way to go about it but you are responsible for whatever you post on the internet

This part is correct.
Quote:
and your employer has a right and in the case of a school a responsibility to monitor it.

This part is ludicrous. An employer has the right to monitor what happens on their time and/or with their equipment, as does a school. When you are outside of the school/workplace on your personal computer an employer has no more right than anyone else to monitor you. They are perfectly allowed to look at whatever you make public or shared with them, but they certainly have no rights beyond that.

Your employer can't read your mail, or listen in on your home phone. How is this different because it's "on the internet"? Can they listen to your Skype calls with your spouse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The 'simplest' & 'elegantically expeditious' method were, naturally: DON'T HAVE ANY SUCH!; to begin with.
wow FFFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUU-Book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm applying to MBA programs later this year, and as a result I've done some self-censoring on what's publicly available on my facebook page and other social media as I'm assuming the programs I apply to will make at least a cursory effort to see what I've left out there with my name on it. I don't intend to let anyone see what I've chosen to make private, though. It's none of their business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I'm applying to MBA programs later this year...

I can't wait to refer to you as The Man. How thick is your bubble?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Hopefully getting thicker when I can move into a neighborhood where more people have college degrees or whatever the fuck the thing was.

Aren't you doing grad school these days too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Hopefully getting thicker when I can move into a neighborhood where more people have college degrees or whatever the fuck the thing was.

Aren't you doing grad school these days too?

I'm accepted/enrolled but I don't start until January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Are You Not Entertained????
mb
I read an earlier article about this on a different forum I frequent. Since asking for ones Facebook password is a violation of their Terms of Service (though, its not clear what legal status that has), several HR departments have started demanding that prospective new hires 'friend' the HR department as part of the interview process. That way, the TOS isn't violated, its totally voluntary, and there is no privacy involved here at all, nothing to see here, NOPE, move on, isn't there a NEW revelation about Zimmerman on that other thread, if you'd rather not lose your job you should move on to that other thread NOW.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people in the teaching profession who are in direct contact with kids - teachers, assistants, counselors - have a "morals clause" in their contracts that restrict even their "private" lives, and they are fully aware that immoral or questionable activities may lead to their termination. It looks like this falls into that area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Many people in the teaching profession who are in direct contact with kids - teachers, assistants, counselors - have a "morals clause" in their contracts that restrict even their "private" lives, and they are fully aware that immoral or questionable activities may lead to their termination. It looks like this falls into that area.

But the problem here is that even if you have a "morals" clause to your contract... that doesn't mean HR has a right to have a Key to your House to come search for sex toys and drugs when they feel like it.

While a FB page is semi public... it is still your actual property and nobody should get to demand they get your password except the parents of underage kids who have allowed them to open a FB account under specific conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:

My company has a "morals clause" too. Doesn't mean it's enforceable. Certainly not in the case of teachers since they belong to a union and "at will" doesn't apply to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
sbauer9 wrote:
Asking for the password isn't the right way to go about it but you are responsible for whatever you post on the internet

This part is correct.
Quote:
and your employer has a right and in the case of a school a responsibility to monitor it.

This part is ludicrous. An employer has the right to monitor what happens on their time and/or with their equipment, as does a school. When you are outside of the school/workplace on your personal computer an employer has no more right than anyone else to monitor you. They are perfectly allowed to look at whatever you make public or shared with them, but they certainly have no rights beyond that.

Your employer can't read your mail, or listen in on your home phone. How is this different because it's "on the internet"? Can they listen to your Skype calls with your spouse?

She made this post public by sharing it with the parent of a student. If she had put the picture in a book and mailed it to 200 of her friends including the parent of a student and then the school asked her for the book and she refused to produce it I would think they would have to fire her. The flip side is if the school doesn't follow up on the complaint and it comes out later she was say having sex with students and had pictures on her facebook page where does it leave the school?

I should be clear I mean your employer has the right to monitor what you make public not invade your privacy. Facebook is maybe a special case as it can be either very private or very public but really I think it is best not to but your name on something on a public web site that you don't want your employer to see no matter how private you think the communication is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.