18 Posts

Battlestar Galactica» Forums » General

Subject: Which skill cards to explain to noobs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to single out 4 or so skill cards to explain to noobs, and was wondering which would be best. I think XO and Investigatie committee. Any others that are vital and that could have their importance stressed?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
Itajai
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Launch Scout for sure. It´s key for humans and cylons.

Then maybe Declare Emergency and Strategic Planning.

Noobs always want to use SP after the die roll or use Declare Emergency before totalling the results of the skill check. And these 2 cards are the ones that cylons would try to "hide" from the humans (along with ICs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Launch Scout and Strategic Planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing with only the base game skill cards? If so, the ones I would spend a minute talking about are Investigative Committee, Executive Order, and Launch Scout. New players don't quite grasp the importance of them until they really get a feel for how brutal the game can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
I'd like to single out 4 or so skill cards to explain to noobs, and was wondering which would be best. I think XO and Investigatie committee. Any others that are vital and that could have their importance stressed?

Eco
In terms of covering the important ones for gameplay, or covering the ones that are most confusing rules-wise?

For gameplay, I'd say XO, SP, LS, and IC.

For rules explanation: EM, DE (although you can probably cover this and SR under one fell swoop with skill check "interrupts"), XO, LS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were going to explain the base-game skill cards to new players, I'd probably go through all ten along with a little bit of an overview - "each deck has two effects - a common effect with strength 1 or 2 and a rare effect with strength 3, 4 or 5"

For most of the cards I wouldn't do more than paraphrase the text - CP lets you draw any two card; MF lets a pilot attack four times with their viper; SR adds blue to a skill check's colours; SP adds 2 to the die before you roll it; DE adds 2 to the check after you take it; EM lets you reroll an attack on a viper; Repair lets you repair your location (or damaged vipers).

Launch Scout naturally ties into an explanation of raptors (they're there to be risked until you run out) and has important strategic value.

XO tends to be massively underused by new players - I should start explaining more often that the ideal human turn is to move somewhere that will be useful and give an executive order to another player.

IC is the other card that is easily undervalued (particlarly the Pegasus version) - without a Committee, checks either tend to be overplayed by more than the 3-5 points the committee costs, or tend to fail depressingly often. Plus they keep hidden Cylons honest (or at least expose them when they do try something)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
If I were going to explain the base-game skill cards to new players, I'd probably go through all ten along with a little bit of an overview - "each deck has two effects - a common effect with strength 1 or 2 and a rare effect with strength 3, 4 or 5"

For most of the cards I wouldn't do more than paraphrase the text - CP lets you draw any two card; MF lets a pilot attack four times with their viper; SR adds blue to a skill check's colours; SP adds 2 to the die before you roll it; DE adds 2 to the check after you take it; EM lets you reroll an attack on a viper; Repair lets you repair your location (or damaged vipers).

Launch Scout naturally ties into an explanation of raptors (they're there to be risked until you run out) and has important strategic value.

XO tends to be massively underused by new players - I should start explaining more often that the ideal human turn is to move somewhere that will be useful and give an executive order to another player.

IC is the other card that is easily undervalued (particlarly the Pegasus version) - without a Committee, checks either tend to be overplayed by more than the 3-5 points the committee costs, or tend to fail depressingly often. Plus they keep hidden Cylons honest (or at least expose them when they do try something)

There's only 10 of them, so you really could explain it all. However, I just assumed the limit of 4 by the OP was to keep rules explanation as brief as possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not explain any of them up front. During the first rounds, whenever the cards could have an application, I mention them. Usually they all are explained by turn 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol it looks like I'm also sonewhat noobish still. I didnt realise there were only 10 different types in all.

Actually, "dont panic at all these different coloured dexks-there are only ten different cards all told" is a good sentence to use in my initial rules explanation, I think.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Pegasus skill cards that add a lot to the required explanation - the Exodus 0-strength cards don't need much explanation, and the 6's, at most, need it mentioned that they exist.

Including Pegasus skill cards in a game mean you need to explain how Reckless works, and how Movement abilities work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:

Eco

In the basic game there are 10 skill cards total, a 'low' and 'high' for each category. I recommend explaining them all, but grouping them by WHEN they are played.

As an Action:
Yellow-low: draw 2 cards of any kind
Green-low: give someone else a move/action or action/action
Purple-low: Risk Raptor to scout crisis or destination
Red-high: (pilot) attack 4 times
Blue-low: repair a location

As an Interrupt:
Before a Skill Check
Yellow-high: All cards played face up
Blue-high: All other blue cards count positive

After a Skill Check
Green-high: Lower difficulty by 2

Before a Die Roll:
Purple-high: +2 to die roll

After a Viper has been shot at:
Red-low: Reroll the attack (with bonus for manned Viper)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:

This!

You should make sure everyone understands its importance. It cannot be overstressed. The rest of the cards can be explained when opportunity arises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a brief mention of "there are only two types of cards in each deck" is as far as I usually go. I don't spend the time up front to explain each card, because a newbie playing Adama doesn't really care what Maximum Firepower does. At least, not when he's still trying to figure out the basic mechanics of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I think a brief mention of "there are only two types of cards in each deck" is as far as I usually go. I don't spend the time up front to explain each card, because a newbie playing Adama doesn't really care what Maximum Firepower does. At least, not when he's still trying to figure out the basic mechanics of the game.
But you'll still have to explain it to the pilot, and thus, end up explaining it anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
Lol it looks like I'm also sonewhat noobish still. I didnt realise there were only 10 different types in all.

Actually, "dont panic at all these different coloured dexks-there are only ten different cards all told" is a good sentence to use in my initial rules explanation, I think.

Eco
That's one reason the base game can get boring... Adama draws 3 green, is asked to XO, and says he can't. You know he can put in at least 9 green in strength into the next skill check since if they aren't XOs, they gotta be DEs which are minimum 3-strength each

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
But you'll still have to explain it to the pilot, and thus, end up explaining it anyways.

The point is that if you present too much information all at once, then people won't retain it. Better to bring up Maximum Firepower on a Pilot's turn, when there are 3+ targets near him. Explaining it at the beginning of the game is unnecessary at best and could lead to information overload at worst.

Also, Maximum Firepower is probably one of the most self-explanatory skill cards in the base game. I don't think I've ever had anybody ask me about the card for clarification, as opposed to the many questions that come up about some of the other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

The point is that if you present too much information all at once, then people won't retain it. Better to bring up Maximum Firepower on a Pilot's turn, when there are 3+ targets near him. Explaining it at the beginning of the game is unnecessary at best and could lead to information overload at worst.

Also, Maximum Firepower is probably one of the most self-explanatory skill cards in the base game. I don't think I've ever had anybody ask me about the card for clarification, as opposed to the many questions that come up about some of the other cards.
[shrug] the OP never specified at what point the skill cards get explained, so I assumed all of this couldve been after the game started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might go quickly through them all after characters have been selected and skill cards drawn, I can say "pilots, listen up-the pilot cards do this and this' etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.