$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Space Alert» Forums » General

Subject: How does the resolution phase compare to the "race" phase in Galaxy Trucker? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Manes
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I own Galaxy Trucker and really enjoy the building phase. It's great fun. However the race portion of the game tends to really slow things down for me and my group.

Where the building is a time-limited free-for-all, the race turns into a slog with only a few decisions along the way.

Having said that, it sounds like Space Alert has a similar intense/letdown phase dynamic. I keep reading about how intense and fun the action phase is, and few mention the resolution phase. Is that because it's short and you just can't wait to get back to the action?

How long does the resolution phase of Space Alert take and how does it compare to Galaxy Trucker's race phase?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resolution phase takes about 10-20 minutes, but we find it a lot of fun. The ten minutes of action is so intense and soul-draining, it's a nice little decompression where you all get to either bask in the glow of a successful clockwork crew, bite your nails as you wait to see if your mistakes will cost you the game, or hilarity as you witness how well and truly fucked your intrepid crew all end up being.

I like to think of the action phase as writing a story, but four people take turns, and everyone is blindfolded, and needs to type as at least 50 WPM or the keyboard EXPLODES. And the resolution is where as a group you read out your story, warts and all, and all have a good time and laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Galaxy Trucker so I can't compare, but Martin makes a pretty great analogy there. I agree with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely comparable. In both cases the second phase is mostly just seeing how your decisions in the first turned out.

You might actually find it less painful because there are no decisions, rather than a few. In that way, it's more like end-of-game scoring than Galaxy Trucker's race. The game's already over, and you've either won or lost. The resolution phase is just seeing what the results were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, in Galaxy Trucker you do still have decisions to make (some of the expansion stuff makes these a little more interesting). In Space Alert you are literally just seeing what happened. In fact there is a computer program (maybe a PC download, but it might be a Java app) that will do that part for you (and is pretty fun to watch).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Yeah, in Galaxy Trucker you do still have decisions to make (some of the expansion stuff makes these a little more interesting). In Space Alert you are literally just seeing what happened. In fact there is a computer program (maybe a PC download, but it might be a Java app) that will do that part for you (and is pretty fun to watch).

Gee, that sounds neat! You wouldn't remember a googleable name or something? Edit: Found it!

Space Alert Flash Turn Resolution Processor
http://homedrone.110mb.com/tusatp.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Gee, that sounds neat! You wouldn't remember a googleable name or something? Edit: Found it!

Space Alert Flash Turn Resolution Processor
http://homedrone.110mb.com/tusatp.html

I wasn't aware of the existence of this program and now can't wait until the next time we get Space Alert to the table. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Manes
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses, guys. I appreciate it. I think I'm going to pass for now.

Like I said, I enjoy the build phase of GT, but the race phase is a bit of a letdown for me and my group. Rather than having a blast like so many others when someone's ship is smashed by an asteroid, we just get frustrated or shrug our shoulders.

If SA has a similar end-of-round resolution mechanism, it sounds like it might not be the best match for me and my group at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanes wrote:
Thanks for the responses, guys. I appreciate it. I think I'm going to pass for now.

Like I said, I enjoy the build phase of GT, but the race phase is a bit of a letdown for me and my group. Rather than having a blast like so many others when someone's ship is smashed by an asteroid, we just get frustrated or shrug our shoulders.

If SA has a similar end-of-round resolution mechanism, it sounds like it might not be the best match for me and my group at this time.

In Space Alert it is more like the instant replay or watching it on DVR. It isn't a completely separate minigame like Galaxy Trucker.

But still it may not be ideal for you right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's different, and the build-up to the resolution phase is very different as well.

I'd say to give the game a try, if you ever get the chance.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanes wrote:

Sounds wise.

I love both games dearly but I still agree that they both suffer from anticlimactic second parts that would be better handled by a computer. In part this is group-dependent - if everyone's on the ball enough you can breeze through these things while other people might slog through them painfully. But even with the best group it is a flaw of the game(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes our group 5-10 minutes to resolve Space Alert. I don't see how it is a flaw, it's the only way to find out if you really succeeded or not.

With Galaxy Trucker I can see the argument that it's a flaw, but I don't see it with Space Alert.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
It takes our group 5-10 minutes to resolve Space Alert. I don't see how it is a flaw.

When your game has a section that people want to avoid so badly that they write/download a program to do it for them, you can tell the game has a flaw. See also 18xx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
My group has as much fun in resolution as they do with the first part. Everyone is all tense, hoping they're not the one who screwed things up. Until we find out that on turn 6 two people tried to use the same lift so now someone isn't going to get to the reactor in time and the accusations start happening. That's when the good part starts. All of a sudden it's "you said you were gonna blah blah" and the other guy is like "well he said he was going to the laser." Then the swearing starts as the ship falls apart around us. We're kinda bad at this game.

Good times, good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathcart wrote:
Until we find out that on turn 6 two people tried to use the same lift so now someone isn't going to get to the reactor in time and the accusations start happening.

As long as the accusations are in jest, as they are in our group, that's where the fun starts

But I guess your group doesn't really work with this game then. If you like the game, you should find some other players to play it with. It's one of those games that don't work with all groups and that some players just aren't having fun with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
The accusations are in jest and the group loves the game. We just don't win a whole lot, but it's super fun. We also haven't been playing long, so we'll probably get better eventually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the 2nd phase of Galaxy trucker to be a bit of a letdown. The end of Space Alert really doesn't feel the same. Mostly because it doesn't feel like it drags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Cathcart wrote:
My group has as much fun in resolution as they do with the first part. Everyone is all tense, hoping they're not the one who screwed things up. Until we find out that on turn 6 two people tried to use the same lift so now someone isn't going to get to the reactor in time and the accusations start happening. That's when the good part starts. All of a sudden it's "you said you were gonna blah blah" and the other guy is like "well he said he was going to the laser." Then the swearing starts as the ship falls apart around us. We're kinda bad at this game.

Good times, good times.

I agree. The resolution phase is where I take a swig of beer (no drinking on missions!) and find out who screwed it up this time. Not a flaw.

As far as the turn processor, we tried it once. It took longer to enter the data than we take to resolve the game manually. If it enhances the fun for some people, fine, but I don't think the turn processor is 'fixing' anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanes wrote:

You're kind of missing how the game works. "Resolution phase" is a misleading title. Space Alert works like this:

Phase 1) You turn on the timer and attempt to solve the puzzle, laying out pre-programmed events, and making decisions.

Phase 2) You turn off the timer and work step-by-step through the pre-programmed actions you just decided on.

It isn't as if Phase 2 is random actions that determine whether Phase 1 worked. Phase 2 is exactly Phase 1's decisions acted out.

You do something real-time in Phase 1, lay down a card to say you did it, then once the timer is off reveal the card and do it again.

The only reason it's there at all is because you likely screwed up during the real-time phase and something didn't work out.

Otherwise, you could literally entirely skip the so-called "resolution phase". It's just, as someone said, a stop-motion replay.

There are no surprises or unknowns in the "Resolution phase". It's just a less harried "spot check" [to use Galaxy Trucker lingo].

If you've played RoboRally, the resolution phase is identical in purpose to the revealing / activating of movement cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
rmanes wrote:

You're kind of missing how the game works. "Resolution phase" is a misleading title. Space Alert works like this:

Phase 1) You turn on the timer and attempt to solve the puzzle, laying out pre-programmed events, and making decisions.

Phase 2) You turn off the timer and work step-by-step through the pre-programmed actions you just decided on.

It isn't as if Phase 2 is random actions that determine whether Phase 1 worked. Phase 2 is exactly Phase 1's decisions acted out.

You do something real-time in Phase 1, lay down a card to say you did it, then once the timer is off reveal the card and do it again.

The only reason it's there at all is because you likely screwed up during the real-time phase and something didn't work out.

Otherwise, you could literally entirely skip the so-called "resolution phase". It's just, as someone said, a stop-motion replay.

There are no surprises or unknowns in the "Resolution phase". It's just a less harried "spot check" [to use Galaxy Trucker lingo].

If you've played RoboRally, the resolution phase is identical in purpose to the revealing / activating of movement cards.

(except for the damage)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

When your game has a section that people want to avoid so badly that they write/download a program to do it for them, you can tell the game has a flaw. See also 18xx.

People have programs to randomize the village cards in Dominion and Thunderstone, yet most people would call that a feature, not a flaw.

Space Alert is not everybody's cup of tea, but calling the resolution phase a "flaw" is misleading to people who just might enjoy the game.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Quote:

People have programs to randomize the village cards in Dominion and Thunderstone, yet most people would call that a feature, not a flaw.

Space Alert is not everybody's cup of tea, but calling the resolution phase a "flaw" is misleading to people who just might enjoy the game.

Cameron

Fair enough. I'm revising my claim - the often-anticlimactic resolution phase is a weak point of Space Alert.

Incidentally I consider the randomization mechanism that comes with Dominion + Expansions to be something of a weak point too, though not a big one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Foley
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
There are no surprises or unknowns in the "Resolution phase".

Ha! HAHAHAHAHAHA! *wipes tears from eyes* If only that were true...!

Let me chime in that the greatest moments of the game come in the resolution phase. That's when you find out that two people used the turbolift at the same time, or that the random damage tile drawn now means that your 4-damage weapon is only a 3-damage weapon, or that that fine print on the internal threat that the security officer never bothered to mention to everyone means that three people's critically timed actions are delayed...

It's also where, as a team, you may sometimes analyze how you can do better ... it reminds me of playing Bridge and going back over the bidding with your partner. In our last game, we realized that...
1) No one "jiggled the mouse" in the last phase...
2) ... because Jeff (the guy in charge of the computer) ran down to the main reactor to throw in a cannister...
3) ... because Tim (the guy in charge of the main reactor) had gone over to Blue to help fight a threat...
4) ... because "someone" over in Blue needed energy to power the main lasers.

Well, it turned out that the someone in Blue who needed the energy was Jeff... and that the threat in Blue was beaten with the small laser; no energy required. Once uncovered, this Moebius strip had us wiping tears from our eyes for 5 minutes we were laughing so hard.

It's true that Vlaada's Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker, and even Dungeon Lord share in common a "prep" phase and a "watch in horror" phase, but they're all very different. In Space Alert, you have no choices and you're a team. In Galaxy Truckers, you have limited choices based on your success in the first phase and how you react to other players' decisions. In Dungeon Lord, you're solving a solitaire puzzle after the highly interactive and competitive worker placement initial phase (though people good at manipulating the Paladin's position would disagree!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
jjfoley wrote:
Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker, and even Dungeon Lord share in common a "prep" phase and a "watch in horror" phase

Ha! That's brilliant!

My group has played Galaxy Trucker several times, and we've just picked up Space Alert. I'm going to have to start throwing the term "watch in horror phase" around the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.