Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

I just bought Seafarers and can't work something out. If I have two seperate, open ended routes, can I take a ship off the end of one and add it to the other?

My rules say that the ship you move must stay connected to the same homeport, which would seem to make the answer no. But my friend has the iPhone game and he can move a ship to any route, as long as it is attached?

Am I missing something?

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may only move the ship that is at the end of the shipping route that is not connected to the “homeport” for that route.

Where the rules say that is not connected to the homeport, I think this is referring to the ship, not the route. So you can't move the ship if its directly connected to its port.

You may only move the ship that is at the end of the shipping route that is not connected to the “homeport” for that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I have the 3rd edition game which in the rules under "Moving Ships" says 6. After you move your ship, it must still be connected to the same homeport.

I just downloaded the 4th edition rules which do not have a point 6. listed so I guess the rule was changed. These rules make it clear you can move it to another route.

Thanks heaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the edition which I have -- which is probably 3rd edition also (aka not the newest edition), Mr. Gumby is correct: you may only move a ship around on the same shipping route. You may not move it from one route to the other. So often what happens is that one ship ends up moving back and forth along a route, trying to reveal some land among the unrevealed water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm accustomed to Mayfair 3rd edition which says you CAN do that. Specifically, you can move a ship connected to settlement A and move it connecting to settlement B. The only rules are ships need to stay in place once they're part of a closed route (where the end points of a line of ships have a building, all of the same color).

Sea3d which was based off of Kosmos 3rd edition (if not Mayfair 3e) implemented such that what I described was acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure enough, the newest rulebook gives an explicit example in which you may move ships between different shipping routes. It's hard to keep up with all of these variations...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep looks like the new rules are the way to go. Plus the scenario's seem a lot better in the 4 edition rules too.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Just to clarify this: The rules regarding movement of ships have never been changed since the original release in 1997! (There have been very few - and only subtle - rule changes at all in the (original) Catan games since their initial release, you can count them with the fingers of one hand!)

You can always move the ship at the end of an open shipping lane (even if this causes a settlement to be without street/ship) to any other (legal) place. A legal place is a place where you could also build a ship. Of course you have to obey other rules, like being allowed to move only 1 ship per turn and not a ship that was built this turn ...

All differences in other language editions are unintentional and in most cases due to misunderstandings during translation.
This is something that can and will always happen. Translations always have the problem to get every aspect of the original. A translation is only in very rare cases better than the original - no matter how good the translator is and how hard he tries.

Concerning this specific question, I looked into the 4th edition Mayfair rules and I also found the point concerning the "ship connected to the homeport". This is in contradiction to what I said above and to the original rules. I will look into this and see what can be done.

To say this very clear: A settlement CAN exist without a ship or street!

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ElKitch Tasso
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had an idea for C&K once:

Heres a game-example of a new boatrule for C&K: players may allways and any time move their boats, even when they are connected. Also islandpoints have to stay connected to the mainland to get the +1 islandpoint

In this example:
- Any boat can be moved, except for the boat next to the pirate.
- If the boat next to the 3-wheat and the town is moved or diplomized, the player loses 1 victory point. If the player moves the boat back, or rebuilds the boat, the vict. point is added again.
- If the red player somehow builds 3 roads (passing the '8-wood-10-wheat'-spot) to the blue boats, and places a knight in between the two boats, the island still counts as 'connected'. This is because it has another way of being connected to the main land.
- However, if this was his only connection to the island, the island is now unconnected. The player then loses a vict. point. The point is added again if the knight gets chased away or intrigued.

This last feature makes knights a little more versatile and makes it worth more to fool around with your knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Concerning this specific question, I looked into the 4th edition Mayfair rules and I also found the point concerning the "ship connected to the homeport". This is in contradiction to what I said above and to the original rules. I will look into this and see what can be done.

Its likely that this is a garbled translation and the rule is refering to the route's connection to the homeport, not the ship's. So essentially its saying this:

You can move a ship that is at the non-home-port end of an open route.

This is how it works on the iPad, iPhone, and every official electronic version I can find.

Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Derosier
United States
flag msg tools
I was glad to see Sebastian's comment explaining the mis-translation. I was also glad to see that this was better articulated in the 5th Edition Rulebook (screenshot below):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.