Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Romero
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
CaptainCosmic wrote:
Matt Boehland wrote:
I found it odd that the complaint about it being confusing came from someone with an 'spi fan' microbadge ...

Different worlds, though. When I bought a new SPI product in 1980-whatever, I knew that either myself, or maybe me and a couple of my buddies, were going to have to spend a lot of time with a printed rulebook. There was no way around it.

That's not how it works with video games, though, and, by extension, iOS games. There's a reason that all but the simplest games come with some form of tutorial: it's required and expected. That's how people prefer to learn on a digital platform. And the platform itself is capable of things like video, animations, audio, text fades, etc., to help teach a new game. Obviously, that wasn't happening when we all reading about case 23.12.1 in SPI's monster game of the month.

I've lost count of the number of great (or useful, at the very least) tutorials I've run into with iOS gaming: Neuroshima Hex, Ascension, Small World, Elder Sign, and Samurai all come to mind. I'd never played any of those games before; in each case, I was playing (poorly, I'm sure, but playing) within 10-15 minutes of downloading the app. That's how it works today.

Maybe I'll eventually give the Nightfall rulebook a shot; maybe Playdek will revise the tutorial. Until then, though, I've got plenty of other great games competing for my already limited number of hours. And Playdek already has my money, so it's a win for them, too.

I know you have strong opinions about the tutorial, which I agree is confusing. However, things got considerably clearer after I read the rule book in the app and the official rules. I am far from mastering the strategy after a few games against the AI, but at least I understand the flow of the game and what comes next. I think you are doing yourself a disservice by deleting the app so quickly. There's quite a bit of depth here, more than Ascension in many ways, and Ascension is my favorite iOS app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Been playing this a lot... Any idea when the expansions will get released for iOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.