16 Posts

Battlestar Galactica» Forums » General

Subject: Board design re position of skill decks could be better for noobs. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed an unfortunate side effects of the placement of the skill decks on the board, in terms of introducing new players.

I place the board woth the decks at my side of the table so thst I can act as Skill Deck Housekeeper. This unfortunately means that more new players are on thebopposite side of the board, with the locations upside down to them, so they can't easily read them.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
I've noticed an unfortunate side effects of the placement of the skill decks on the board, in terms of introducing new players.

I place the board woth the decks at my side of the table so thst I can act as Skill Deck Housekeeper. This unfortunately means that more new players are on thebopposite side of the board, with the locations upside down to them, so they can't easily read them.

Eco

So make one of them distribute cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking care of the skill decks is a relatively trivial matter. In fact, I think it's a good thing for them to do.

When someone draws at the beginning of her turn, the new players can hand her the cards. This lets the new players get an idea of who draws what colors, how often particular decks get recycled, etc.

This also allows the new players a reminder of how destiny is created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Sansom
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you can do what I did and get a skill card tray that can just be moved to wherever you need it. That way the cards can be moved completely out of the way for the newer players to hover over the board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's so much of the board that not every1 was bound to have equal access to everything. If nothing else, the layout of the skill cards on the board means the relative positions correspond with the way they appear on skill checks and one could easier see which colors are missing and thus, negative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Bradley
United States
Bethany
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed several files off of here to make setup and understanding easier. This included mats for draw and discard of the cards, which I like a lot more than the traditional setup since it can be placed anywhere. This makes it flexible for when we have a different size or shape of table to play on. Another thing you should consider are the player guides on here. I combined a couple for one that I thought fit my needs really well so that every location text is on the sheet, along with successions, and tips on how to play as revealed and unrevealed cylons. This helps with people leaning over the board to read rooms plus they can get a better understanding of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
When I am playing with new players, I almost always set myself up along the top side of the board, since I don't have to read locations. I also keep the Cylon ships there, since I'm the one who resolves their activations. New players should be given the duty of handling the skill cards; like others have said, it's trivial. Either the current player is close enough to grab cards himself, or he says, "I need two Leadership, two Tactics, and one Piloting," and then the person near the skill cards hands them to the current player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
ajax013 wrote:
Or you can do what I did and get a skill card tray that can just be moved to wherever you need it. That way the cards can be moved completely out of the way for the newer players to hover over the board! :)

BRILLIANT!

Another game I can use my business card holders for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do the discards go in there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Likely the same as without using the holder: face-up below the draw deck.

Or if you have 2 holders like I do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
When I am playing with new players, I almost always set myself up along the top side of the board, since I don't have to read locations. I also keep the Cylon ships there, since I'm the one who resolves their activations. New players should be given the duty of handling the skill cards; like others have said, it's trivial. Either the current player is close enough to grab cards himself, or he says, "I need two Leadership, two Tactics, and one Piloting," and then the person near the skill cards hands them to the current player.
For one of my groups, 1 person never bothered to learn the decks by name, so with the exception of Treachery, he won't know what Leadership nor Tactics are

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
For one of my groups, 1 person never bothered to learn the decks by name, so with the exception of Treachery, he won't know what Leadership nor Tactics are

You can just as easily say "I need two green, two purple, and one red."

Still, it shouldn't be an issue, because the skills each character draws are written on the character cards (so the person asking doesn't need to have the deck titles memorized), and the names of each deck are written on the board where they go (so the person in charge of doling out cards doesn't need to have them memorized either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

You can just as easily say "I need two green, two purple, and one red."

Still, it shouldn't be an issue, because the skills each character draws are written on the character cards (so the person asking doesn't need to have the deck titles memorized), and the names of each deck are written on the board where they go (so the person in charge of doling out cards doesn't need to have them memorized either).
It's moreso nitpicking, as you'd think someone who played the game as much as the rest of us would've known them by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:

Discards are supposed to go faceup under the draw deck?

Is that an official rule, or a houserule? We've been putting them in discard piles a little to the south of the draw piles.

Great tip about the mats from the files section. i'll have a look.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
selwyth wrote:

Discards are supposed to go faceup under the draw deck?

Is that an official rule, or a houserule?

The top card of each discard pile is public information (according to the secrecy guidelines in the official FAQ) so any arrangement that conceals it is unofficial...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
I place the board woth the decks at my side of the table so thst I can act as Skill Deck Housekeeper.

The term for that in our circle is Card B----.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.