Popular Tags: [View All]
ian morris
United Kingdom
lichfield
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meysey Hampton wrote:
No Retreat! The Russian Front looks playable in one night.

I foresee a Monday night on the Eastern Front ahead !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strike of the eagle
Russian campaign
1812: Invasion of Canada
Eylau- old SPI game
only really need to read Eylau........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Wilkershank
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my rules reading time this month will be spent on Vietnam 1965-1975
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two appointment games this month, so I am studying some rule books.

The first is Napoleon's Triumph which looks like it will be fun, but not too heavy.

The second is Triumph of Chaos which will involve significantly more rules study, although it should be pleasantly intense. A gamer buddy is visiting and agreed to give this a shot. I hope that I have the rules down in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a couple of ACW rulebooks handy for two games I'm playing shortly: Fury in the West and Stonewall in the Valley. And, just because I love reading game rules (and I hope to get it on the table soon as well) I just started re-reading The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition). Now, I'm off to set up the Shiloh game and see how it plays (it's been 25+ years since I played it ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow we will have two games which I had experience with. So I am re-reading the rules again:

Pretty straightfoward block game system like other Columbia games.

And:

While President Obama is battling out Romney, we decided to give this a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap MR
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Virgin Queen! I've never played HIS, so the rules are new to me, but this looks awesome...Argh, who am I kidding, I will probably never play this with my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This month I'm going to attempt to tackle the beast of a rulebook that is World in Flames. I've got a garage to set it up in and a friend crazy enough to try it out with me. I can't wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mero Babu
badge
Ashwin messing about on the iPad
mbmbmbmbmb

Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914 after giving it another run out. We got quite a few rules wrong but this is a fun game. Next stop Paris...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After the recommendation on The Noise Before Defeat I picked up a copy of GD '42 and intend to solo one of the smaller scenarios after a read through of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940

FAB: The Bulge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wittmann222 wrote:

Great choise in RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940.
The other game I do not know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
* Maria
* Warriors of God (missed a major rule in the first playthrough: leaders that enter in their home territory get units!)
* Hammer of the Scots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Oleksy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God
Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paths of Glory

cracked this open today. was prepared for it to be a struggle based on much of what i've read regarding all the different exceptions and options available. so i jumped the gun and grabbed a few of the homemade guides and summaries from the files section here, and have been clumsily bouncing back and forth between them and the rulebook, hoping one would emerge as a smoother teaching tool than the other..
No such luck so far..
i'm thinking tomorrow I'll set it up and give the extended example of play a run through..

any tips or advice from the vets would be much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the People (AH Version)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell/Karen Morse
United States
Ossining
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
new
Thirty Years War: Europe in Agony, 1618-1648
Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division won at GMT EAST
Clash of Monarchs

ongoing
Paths of Glory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RawDealDemo wrote:
Paths of Glory

cracked this open today. was prepared for it to be a struggle based on much of what i've read regarding all the different exceptions and options available. so i jumped the gun and grabbed a few of the homemade guides and summaries from the files section here, and have been clumsily bouncing back and forth between them and the rulebook, hoping one would emerge as a smoother teaching tool than the other..
No such luck so far..
i'm thinking tomorrow I'll set it up and give the extended example of play a run through..

any tips or advice from the vets would be much appreciated.

Have you played other CDGs? (Besides Twilight Struggle, which is a somewhat different beast due to the influence system.)

My advice would be to take it slow -- one action at a time. Read through the rules on that action, doing it just as the book says. The rules are extremely thorough (both a good thing and a bad thing), but this'll help you internalize the most common ones.

At the end of a turn, revisit what you did that turn (through the discard pile and the board state) and make it into a short story about what happened. This makes it so you aren't just following instructions but actually participating in the story of the game.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Carey
United Kingdom
Worcester Park
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blinks wrote:
* Maria
* Warriors of God (missed a major rule in the first playthrough: leaders that enter in their home territory get units!)
* Hammer of the Scots

Played the first two and they are both fine games. I think you'll find that playing the rule about leaders being allocated units in their home territories will make a big difference in which leaders you choose and where you place them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great advice, Adam.

I think today I'm going to get it punched and set up and go through both the extended example in the rule book and then probably do the same with this session report

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/173154/an-annotated-repo...

and hope that things start to click.

The only other CDG I've played is Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 - ? which is what brought me to Paths.
The learning curve was steep and frusterating for me but I stuck it out through many readings of the rulebook and the forums and the vasal videos and after awhile it finally began making sense and once I got in a few plays with a friend i was completely hooked and looking for the next CDG to give me that same rush of tension and too-much-to-do, only with many more bodies strewn about the battlefield.

So hopefully Paths will come together a little faster in my brain, live up to all the high praise and next i'll move onto Twilight Struggle
or Sword of Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blinkinsop
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
woodle2 wrote:
I think you'll find that playing the rule about leaders being allocated units in their home territories will make a big difference in which leaders you choose and where you place them!

Absolutely! Also makes armies a little less fragile, which hit us hard in the first game. (Or rather, hit me hard...)

RawDealDemo wrote:
Thanks for the great advice, Adam.

I think today I'm going to get it punched and set up and go through both the extended example in the rule book and then probably do the same with this session report

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/173154/an-annotated-repo...

and hope that things start to click.

The only other CDG I've played is Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 - ? which is what brought me to Paths.
The learning curve was steep and frusterating for me but I stuck it out through many readings of the rulebook and the forums and the vasal videos and after awhile it finally began making sense and once I got in a few plays with a friend i was completely hooked and looking for the next CDG to give me that same rush of tension and too-much-to-do, only with many more bodies strewn about the battlefield.

So hopefully Paths will come together a little faster in my brain, live up to all the high praise and next i'll move onto Twilight Struggle
or Sword of Rome.

Recommendation: if you end up liking Paths of Glory better than Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 - ?, play Sword of Rome next. Otherwise, play Twilight Struggle. :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RawDealDemo wrote:
[...] looking for the next CDG to give me that same rush of tension and too-much-to-do, only with many more bodies strewn about the battlefield.

or Sword of Rome.

Well, from my point of view you should have found one...

I've started with PoG after christmas and tried to solo it but what really helped me slowly getting a grasp with this is finding an opponent with a little experience.

Just ask in the PoG forums or enter a request here (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/139976/the-vassalcyber...) and you should have an opponent pretty fast. The teacher I found has a bit more than little experience and it's great fun. Alternatively find a fellow newbie to make mistakes together. Learning is more fun when you're not alone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New
Jena 20 My first Vassal game has just kicked off. Found an opponent through this list pretty fast...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/139976/the-vassalcyber...
Thunder Alley Reading the rules and printing a playtest set...

Ongoing
Paths of Glory I'm in my first few games I'm still finding new rules...
Andean Abyss

Back again
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 - ? In my first game of a Vassal tournament... Check it out: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogger/1982
Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations I really hope to start my first campaign in a few days...

On the horizon
Rock of the Marne or Yom Kippur I found a colleague to try SCS with. These are the two titles I'm interested in most...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

[/q]Alternatively find a fellow newbie to make mistakes together. Learning is more fun when you're not alone...[/q]

Sounds good to me, Carsten

I have Vasal on my Mac as well as Skype, although I've never played a board game using either and honestly am a little unsure on how it all works but would be very interested in giving either a try.

All I ask for is a patient teacher, because I probably tend to get slightly more confused and overwhelmed than most when it comes to learning new systems.

Though i did just read the Flanking Rules section about 4 times in a row and am now very confident that I have it down.

So, yeah, if you'd like to stumble our way through the rules and across the map together sometime soon just drop me a message.
I'd also be willing to do the same with Labyrinth which I saw that you are also learning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.