Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
United States
Fayetteville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up the game over the weekend and ran through a quick solo game. I've played Formula De and Das Motorspiel. Someone else owns them, though, so I figured I would give Rallyman a try. And I am not really a fan of racing so if my terminology is off, please excuse me.

Anyway, just starting out, I am off the board? I am doing J1 to J4, just because it was listed in the rulebook.

I roll the 1st Gear Die and do not get a !. So I place my car on the first space. Even if I had rolled a ! I would still be on the first space. The first space is a turn, with 4th gear for the inside and 5th gear for the outside. Since I am in 1st gear I am safe to take the inside.

I then push it to 2nd gear, roll the die and move a space ahead (chaining gears, I believe).

Roll gear 3 and move a space, then gear 4. This is a 3rd gear inside turn with 4 on the outside. So, I take the outside 1st space. Could I have taken the shortcut or can I only take a shortcut to pass someone?

I then decide to roll the white acceleration die, move a space, the 2nd acceleration die and then I am in the last 4 spot of the turn. I assume I can use 5th gear now?

Does all that sound correct as far as rules? I can work on my driving skillz later.

If I had rolled a total of 3 ! and the 3rd one happening on 5th gear, would I still move a space ahead or does the 3rd ! mean you stay in the spot?

Thanks for any clarifications/confirmations!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fowler
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:

Anyway, just starting out, I am off the board?
yes.

michaeldavidcox wrote:

I roll the 1st Gear Die and do not get a !. So I place my car on the first space. Even if I had rolled a ! I would still be on the first space.
yes

michaeldavidcox wrote:

The first space is a turn, with 4th gear for the inside and 5th gear for the outside. Since I am in 1st gear I am safe to take the inside.
yes

michaeldavidcox wrote:

Roll gear 3 and move a space, then gear 4. This is a 3rd gear inside turn with 4 on the outside. So, I take the outside 1st space. Could I have taken the shortcut or can I only take a shortcut to pass someone?
You can take the shortcut at any time. Just be aware that there is a risk of a flat tire in shortcuts.

michaeldavidcox wrote:

I then decide to roll the white acceleration die, move a space, the 2nd acceleration die and then I am in the last 4 spot of the turn. I assume I can use 5th gear now?
yes

michaeldavidcox wrote:

Does all that sound correct as far as rules?
yes

michaeldavidcox wrote:

If I had rolled a total of 3 ! and the 3rd one happening on 5th gear, would I still move a space ahead or does the 3rd ! mean you stay in the spot?
You still move to the next spot, take a 5th gear card, flip it over and resolve the loss of control (likely sliding off the road with a 5th gear card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
I just picked up the game over the weekend and ran through a quick solo game. I've played Formula De and Das Motorspiel. Someone else owns them, though, so I figured I would give Rallyman a try. And I am not really a fan of racing so if my terminology is off, please excuse me.

Michael

Forget anything you have learned about Formula Dé which is a game where it is important to go as far as possible to reach the corners.
In Rallyman it is not always good to go as far as possible. Sometimes it can be better to for ex. stop in 3rd gear and take a 30secs card instead of moving further to 5th gear and take a 10secs card due to the next round where you can choose to start in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear and go up or down in the gears.
I don't have the game here with me, so I can give you an exact situation, but just keep it in mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it's usually easiest to physically place the dice in the spaces that they relate to. In your description:

The car would then finish where the '5' die is currently sitting. You also could have taken the shortcut at gear 4 (with the risk of a flat), or could have 'coasted' round the inside of the corner by playing a white after the '3' die (so the '4' could then be where the '5' currently is, leaving you with a white and the '5' still to play). Finally, using this method, it's also easiest to see where the loss of control (if any) happens - on the space relating to the die in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
United States
Fayetteville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help! Glad to hear I was playing it correctly. Just need to learn about the other rules (time attack, etc).

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hornberger
United States
lockport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
david mckenna is right, it's mutch easier to just lay the dice out instead of moving your car each time. It's faster and easier to visualize your move this way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.