United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, the game is not out yet. Why are there 9 ratings for it? 5 are 10s and 1 is a 1. Whats the point of doing that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fairly frequent on BGG. People get excited about a game and pre-rate it. Others put low numbers for their own purposes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Demo. I see 10s listed for games not yet released, and 1s for games that are obviously not anywhere that bad. I'm surprised it's allowed.

I have never rated a game a 1 or a 10, so far. Maybe tic-tack-toe would get a 1. I think each account should get a limited number of 1s and 10s they can rank with, to stop all the haters and fanboys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply think that people should not be allowed to rate unreleased games. I did it in the past (Runewars fanboy here), but now I think it should not be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some pre-release ratings are from valid sources (from demos, con games, review copies, etc). However, I don't think anyone outside of FFG has seen or played second edition. And if someone has, they are probably under NDAs since we have not heard a peep from anyone claiming to have played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 9.88 and 8.2 scores. Very specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's burn this mother down!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIOlxw048t8&feature=youtu.be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rating suggestions suggest you rate based on your desire to play the game. Maybe they really want to play it! And I assume people know some of the mechanics and theme, if it's a second edition.

I'd rate Twilight Imperium 4 before it came out, because I WOULD be excited about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:
I simply think that people should not be allowed to rate unreleased games.

I agree completely. Maybe offer some sort of "demo rating" for people who have played it at cons or where have you, but for things like D:SE that has not been demoed, there should simply be no ratings until after release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
Whats the point of doing that?

The same thing could be said about everything that people do on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Αγγελος Λαμπριδης
Greece
Athens
Holargos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indiexxx wrote:
demondude777 wrote:
Whats the point of doing that?

The same thing could be said about everything that people do on this site.

your answer is something on this site.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sphären Wanderer
Germany
flag msg tools
Perhaps people do this for pushing the game they want to share with others (even if it´s just excitement) in the "The Hotness" section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly because they can. There is no mechanism on BoardGameGeek to only let people rate a game after it's been launched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering 75% of the BGG community doesnt even really comprehend what the ratings system represents, or use it in ways its not intended... In the long run it doesnt even matter.

Sometimes though its a general reaction to a company rather than the game in general. Games Workshop in particular gets this alot. FFG gets frequent flack for their treatment of fans/players too. If in a players eyes a company is bad and thus the games are bad. Then low ratings are actually valid.

Now toss in the fact that BGGers love to use the ratings as a harassment tool and things go straight to Hell and then start drilling down from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
FFG gets frequent flack for their treatment of fans/players too.

I'm not sure I understand this comment. While no company is perfect, I hear far more praise for their customer service than complaints. It's not quite the same since Thaadd left, but it still seems like they try to do their fans/players right far more often than not.

The only frequent complaints I hear about is their lack of "playtesting" in their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely, rating something is when you have had an experience and you have an opinion. Liking something before you have had the experience should be on a wishlist. And not liking something before you have had the experience should go on the forum.

How can I buy a good game using the rating system on BGG when 20-30% of the ratings bogus and biased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
badgerthebrave wrote:
How can I buy a good game using the rating system on BGG when 20-30% of the ratings bogus and biased.

I don't bother with any rating system when looking to buy a new game. There is no way it can ever be 100% accurate, as the rating reflect more of a popularity contest which is based somewhat on how "good" a game is for a group of gamers. The #2 and #3 games here, for instance, may be good for eurogamers, but they have absolutely no appeal to me. I'd probably have fun playing them, as I do with most games, but they aren't going to be games I'd pick as my first choices.

Thus, the ratings here mean very little to me. If I'm in doubt about getting a game, I use the user reviews (positive and negative) to help inform me about things I may like or hate about a game, and then decide whether it's for me. (Also, having the rules available to read is a HUGE plus, as that way I can really know what I'm in store for). So for me, it doesn't matter who rates anything what - it's the reasons behind the ratings that give me benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badgerthebrave wrote:

The first thing you should remember is that the rating doesn't tell you which games are good, only which are more popular and liked.

If you use the Geekbuddy feature of this site, you can use the Analyze link to see what your buddies think of a game. That, to me, would have more weight than what the userbase as a whole thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Rating suggestions suggest you rate based on your desire to play the game. Maybe they really want to play it! And I assume people know some of the mechanics and theme, if it's a second edition.

I'd rate Twilight Imperium 4 before it came out, because I WOULD be excited about it.

That is not the rating I am referring to here. I mean those that have gave it a 10 to 1 rating, which is different than the wishlist 1 to 5 rating.

I agree with not being able to rate the games before release but I figure that would take a lot of work.

I'm also surprised no one has given this a rating of 6.66 or something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
FFG gets frequent flack for their treatment of fans/players too.

I'm not sure I understand this comment. While no company is perfect, I hear far more praise for their customer service than complaints. It's not quite the same since Thaadd left, but it still seems like they try to do their fans/players right far more often than not.

The only frequent complaints I hear about is their lack of "playtesting" in their games.

I've run into now a few threads here that have turned to discussions of FFGs occasional antics. And now two players with an axe to grind over FFGs forum and materials treatments. (Some of it likely not necessarily FFGs fault from what I've been reading.)

WizKids had/has a slight bad rep too from their previous iteration. Wether or not that will carry over remains to be seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
I like the 9.88 and 8.2 scores. Very specific.

I sometimes rate my games with decimal points (to the tenths... not hundredths). I do it in relation to other games I have already rated. If I rated game A 7 and game B 8 and then I play game C and liked it better than A but not quite as well as B then I will rate it in between 7 and 8, and thus use a decimal point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

That is not the rating I am referring to here. I mean those that have gave it a 10 to 1 rating, which is different than the wishlist 1 to 5 rating.

I agree with not being able to rate the games before release but I figure that would take a lot of work.

I'm also surprised no one has given this a rating of 6.66 or something

Yes, he's talking about the 1-10 rating. Many people rate games with this rating based on their desire to play.

Anyway, though, this whole discussion is pretty pointless. Are you all aware that the ratings calculation system includes a shill-buster algorithm? No one outside of a privileged few knows exactly how it works, but we do know that it ignores extreme ratings, particularly by people who haven't rated many games. (It might even discount ratings for games not yet released.) This combined with the Bayesian Average system means that Descent 2 is not going to be suddenly topping the charts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The system also adjusts your vote for the tally process based on your record of extreme high/low votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OH! That could mean that people that give lots of 1s (or 10s), have their votes count less and less. Yay!

I give that rule a 10 rating. WAIT! I mean, I give it an 8.5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.