Subject: Warning: Card backs do not match I.V. Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
FYI: I just got this expansion and the cards backs have a much brighter green than the original print I have. It is unfortunate, but they are easily distinguishable from the backs on the I.V. edition. I don't sleeve any of my games, but I think it is the only way I can think of for these to work (other than dealing off the bottom of the deck).

I would think CGF and BGG should make this obvious for those who were intending to add these to their existing decks.

Edit: I have the older I.V. printing that came with poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Westberg
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna go check this after dinner but I wouldn't be surprised. Do you have an original printing or a more recent printing?

IE: Do you have cards for the bonus victory points or poker chips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My cards seem to match pretty well. FWIW, I think mine is a more recent printing (cards for bonus points -- no chips in my set).

Now I just need to learn how to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Cough! Cough!
mbmbmbmbmb
My cards were also noticeably smaller than my IV version as well as the color difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Wen
United States
Lake Forest
Click to Select (if applicable)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have the color difference. IV edition with chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Giordano
Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered ... I'd thinked twice if I knew it shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have differently colored promos (and expansion) and different sized cards from my poker chip I.V. Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys! I was unaware of this, but we just added the following to the game description after receiving word from Cambridge:

"One note on compatability: The expansion cards created with the original artwork are 63 mm x 88 mm. The 2007 printing of GtR I.V had cards that were 64.5 mm x 89.5 mm. If you sleeve your cards or have a later printing (which is the most common edition of I.V), then the promo cards will work fine. If not, you will find that the size of the cards is slightly mismatched."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Sorry guys! I was unaware of this, but we just added the following to the game description after receiving work from Cambridge:

"One note on compatability: The expansion cards created with the original artwork are 63 mm x 88 mm. The 2007 printing of GtR I.V had cards that were 64.5 mm x 89.5 mm. If you sleeve your cards or have a later printing (which is the most common edition of I.V), then the promo cards will work fine. If not, you will find that the size of the cards is slightly mismatched."
Now all they need is a trade-in program for the old cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"The expansion cards created with the original artwork are 63 mm x 88 mm. The 2007 printing of GtR I.V had cards that were 64.5 mm x 89.5 mm....you will find that the size of the cards is slightly mismatched."

shake

Quote:
If you...have a later printing (which is the most common edition of I.V)

Wow, I pretty much care not at all how common a printing is if I don't have it. It's 100% the older printing in my closet.

Quote:
"If you sleeve your cards..."

Wow, I was REALLY looking forward to adding the promos to my I.V set. I may be in the minority, but this is one of my top 10 favorite games and I've played with this artwork for years and actually like it better than the Black Box edition artwork. I guess I have no choice BUT to take all the cards out of the sleeves I already bought for this game, buy some opaque sleeves (I hate opaque backed sleeves--I really enjoy seeing the art on the back of cards in various games), and resleeve the cards, right? Either that or never play with that edition anymore. Resleeving and playing with opaque sleeves is not a big deal to a lot of people, but it rubs me the wrong way--my personal opinion.

Why would they change the size between printings? Can't the client tell their printer what size they want? This is a pretty fundamental screwup in my opinion.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong--I'm sure I know WHY the size is different between printings. I'm sure it's because the printer has machines that are set to cut at a certain size, and I'm sure the printer for the new run was chosen for cost/quality reasons instead of being able to cut to the exact size of the prior printing. Until the promo cards were printed, no one would care or even notice that there was a size difference. I hope that's what it is--I don't know what advantage there would be otherwise to arbitrarily choosing a new card size. But now it matters, and that's why I'm annoyed. I don't expect a replacement card set like what happened with 7 Wonders, but I also don't feel bad about venting a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Sorry guys! I was unaware of this, but we just added the following to the game description after receiving word from Cambridge:

Thanks for the update. I thought it was unlikely you know of the problem. You may want to modify the last sentence to read: "If not, you will find that the size of the cards is slightly mismatched and the color of the card backs are also different."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very informative thread. Thank you!

It sure would have been nice to know whether the new cards were going to match the old ones.

I don't like to sleeve cards, so I'm just going to try playing with the new cards and see how annoying it is. I don't know whether a millimeter or two and a slightly off green is going to make enough of a difference to convince me to use sleeves. Guess I'll withhold judgment until I get to actually play with the new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
It sure would have been nice to know whether the new cards were going to match the old ones.

Yeah, we certainly would have made mention of this had we known that not all editions of I.V were printed with the same card size (and color apparently). I'm guessing no one ever thought to compare the card sizes and colors of the different print runs until now.

Fortunately, most of the copies out there are of the later printings, and the promos will match copies of the I.V edition currently on the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My I.V printing had card backs in several shades, so I was not concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
My I.V printing had card backs in several shades, so I was not concerned.

This made me chuckle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Yeah, we certainly would have made mention of this had we known that not all editions of I.V were printed with the same card size (and color apparently). I'm guessing no one ever thought to compare the card sizes and colors of the different print runs until now.

Chad: Didn't mean to suggest I had any problem with how BGG is handling this. This is a publisher issue. My cards are coming from the publisher, as I was a Kickstarter supporter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cry

And I was so looking forward to playing with the new cards at tonight's group when I saw they had arrived last night.

Now I find I can't use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

The size difference doesn't matter to me much, it's not that noticeable. But, the color difference is 'striking'. You might want to add that there is a color difference too.

I HATE sleeved cards and the size difference wouldn't have mattered to me because the stack of cards is rarely so straight that you notice the 'slight' difference in size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
...I don't know whether a millimeter or two and a slightly off green is going to make enough of a difference to convince me to use sleeves. Guess I'll withhold judgment until I get to actually play with the new cards.

I also have the expansion which is the same color as the promos. So, I am hoping to play without sleeves for a while too. With more cards in the deck it might be able to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
bwingrave wrote:

Fortunately, most of the copies out there are of the later printings, and the promos will match copies of the I.V edition currently on the market.

I feel a little screwed with this. Since I purchased before this information was public, now I'm out $10 and have a bunch of useless cards. Does the geek store have a return policy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Kaelistus wrote:
I feel a little screwed with this. Since I purchased before this information was public, now I'm out $10 and have a bunch of useless cards. Does the geek store have a return policy?

I recommend you send a geekmail to:

Kristine Anderson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

She was very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, so I got the bright idea that I'd just buy a 'new set' of Glory to Rome so that the cards match.

But, the first to stores I checked say that it comes with the 'chips' like my current set.

Any idea how to tell if they are the 'current' print run, I had thought I read somewhere that it didn't come with the chips.

Any idea who might be selling it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the new version also comes with chips. Not sure the easy way to distinguish the versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wakefield Morys-Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The tuck boxes in the current print run do not have thumb cuts in them.

If anyone has tuck boxes without thumb cuts that still don't match the expansion cards please post here to let people know that this isn't sufficient information to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
I believe that the new version also comes with chips. Not sure the easy way to distinguish the versions.

Thanks. I guess I can try and see. Not like I could gift it to someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.