Pirates of Nassau» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Finally a good PIRATE game!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giuliano Porsche
Italy
flag msg tools
Hello,

I am an italian player and normally do not write on forums as I tend to prefer to read them...

However I had to write something about this game! BUT please excuse any mispelling or wrong use of the english language, as even if I think my English is quite good, I am still Italian.

GRAPHICS AND DESIGN:
the rules are very well laid out and (although not short) are extremely understandable both in Italian and in English (in English only as far as 1 readthrough from a non-native...).

The graphics on the components and on the boards is excellent, I particularly like the pictures of the pirates on the cards.

COMPONENTS:
there are a LOT of them, but it still does not take too long to set up. MOST of them are of excellent quality with meeple, thick cardboard and proper card material being used. The board and the ship boards have a feltish (not sure made of what material) looking covering on the back.

The treasure chests and hostages are made of the same material of the cards and these are in my opinion the only blemish on the otherwise outstanding quality. Both these are fiddly to join, but still do the job very well.

The other slight oddity are the cards, they fulfill their function perfectly but they do have 4 little nibs (1 on each side). This is not at all a proble.

GAMEPLAY:
I have now played 3 games, twice in 4 and once in 5. The first game lasted slightly longer (3h) as we were learning the rules as we went, but the other games lasted 1h 55mins in 4 and 2h 30mins in 5.

The movement is really great as it balances perfectly randomness and strategy, as after you roll, you have to plan your moves and use each dice in turn and you can also check out the dice values of the other players to help you determine (or hope) that they will not steal the merchants you are targetting.

Plundering merchants is really great fun and the fact that the royal navy can come out to get you is always on the back of your mind, with some of us trying to be daring and others a little cowardly (I am not judging...).

The greatest feature in my opinion is the fact that you can upgrade your ship and even make it bigger, it really helps to feel as if you are growing in your pirate carreer.

The multiple victory conditions keep you guessing till the end, not being ever sure as to who is really on top. A bad mistake is to think that Notoriety equates to Victory, as in one of our games 1 player was 40ish points in front of everyone else but still managed only to be 3rd!!

THEME:
The other element I really like about this game is that it is extremely thematic.

You really feel like a pirate and every game mechanics looks as if it was designed to theme the game and not the other way round.

OVERALL:
I rate this game 9/10! And highly reccomend it to everyone. I know I am sure to play this many more times!

Thank you for reading.

Vivaferry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mb
Very nice review.
On the pirate games - have you tried Merchants & Marauders ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
Very nice review.
On the pirate games - have you tried Merchants & Marauders ?

M&M +1

Would love to see comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M&M +1 also
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this rather interesting...
Why is it that you talk about the components being "excellent quality" when all other reviews talk about how flimsy and awful they are? I'm just curious what your take is on that.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Porsche
Italy
flag msg tools
Hello,

thank you for your question, I had wondered as well why people go on about the bad quality of the components, when there are really only the treasure chests and the hostages that should be better.

These pieces are made in thin playing card stock rather than cardboard and are a little hard to put together. A dubious choice, that I personally do not understand. However, the chests are not used much at all during the game AND there are a LOT of other components, all of which are, in my opinion, excellent compared with other manufacturers.

There are 20 normal size playing cards, lots of half size playing cards, 60 meeple cubes and cylinders, meeple player and ship tokens to move on the board, lots and lots of thick cardboard tokens (the coins ARE small, because thay have to fit in your cargo hold!), the ship boards and the gaming board with this feltish-like layer on the back.

The dice are not too fancy but are...well...dice.

So if I were to rate this game purely on components quality, it would not make the 9/10, but I rate this game in its entirety.

Furthermore I understand this is a first attempt of a brand new publisher that looks to me to be also quite small and just starting off. In my opinion we should support these type of companies that bring fresh new ideas that might be a little left field but that would otherwise not see the light of day, unless we want to only have a limited (even if very well advertised) range of games.

Merchants and Marauders is a good example of a good game that completely misses the "piratical" theme mark by having the merchant strategy being strategically better, not my cup of coffee!

Ciao!

Vivaferry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grazie,

That seems to explain your comments and answers my question.

Next, I'd like to see some more photos added to the gallery. This image does show all the components, and you can see how the ships bend pretty badly, as well as the poor construction of the treasure chests. Everything else looks good, but damn, those coins are small!

How are the cards themselves? Are they typical playing card quality or are they cardstock as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Porsche
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi again,

The game I have is not at all bent. BUT, as far as I understand, the bending of cardboard does not depend on the quality of the pieces, but on the weather conditions (specifically humidity levels) of the place in which you open the game, but do not quote me on this... For example I bought Games Workshop's new Space hulk that has incredibly thick cardboard and that they say has been pre baked to avoid warping (I know all of this because I asked their customer service to complain...), and it HAS warped.

The cards are of normal good quality playing card material so look very good to me. But, as I said in the review, they have 1 little "nib" on each side. This did not disturb me in the slightest as the cards are not used as playing cards, but someone might differ.

Also, for the italian readers, if there are requests I will right the review again in Italian. (translated se ci sono richieste riscrivero' la revisione di I Pirati di Nassau in Italiano!

Ciao.

Vivaferry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Porsche
Italy
flag msg tools
Also, I am going on holiday tomorrow, but as soon as I get back hoeme (roughly 10 days) I will take some pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Listening to: Mark Helias - Loopin' the Cool // Michael Blake - Drift // Ari Brown - Venus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vivaferry wrote:
Merchants and Marauders is a good example of a good game that completely misses the "piratical" theme mark by having the merchant strategy being strategically better, not my cup of coffee!

It sounds to me like you may not have played Merchants and Marauders enough to understand how it really works. Many people get an early impression that the Mechants are stronger, but find that with better play the Pirates are at least their equal. Now I'm wondering about your assessment of the game you're reviewing. Three plays isn't a lot if the game has any depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Porsche
Italy
flag msg tools
I am not talking about Merchant and Marauders from a solid basis, having only played it once.

ALSO I was not saying it is not a good game, but that (in the only 1 game I played) I got the distinct impression that it was easyer to win being a merchant and therefore, in my opinion, it is not "piratical" enough.

This is however my opinion and you are more than entitled to disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to disagree with regards to the component quality. I find it quite terrible really.

Besides the unusable treasure chests & hostages, the punched out tokens generally feel cheap (I had print alignment issues as well). Similarly with the dice and cards.

The pieces of eight were really small and generally a pain to handle. I have no idea why they made the hulls so small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.