122 figures, including enough for the following units:

8 ashigaru spearmen
4 ashigaru bowmen
2 ashigaru arquebusiers
2 samurai headquarters
4 samurai naginata infantry
4 samurai cavalry
And 4 commander figures that will probably be added to a unit

Units are modeled in gray plastic, and the owning player is designated by attaching small colored flags on the soldiers' backs (red and yellow).

Zvezda very graciously responded to an email from me with these details, I'll be posting an image of the box-back they sent later today.

Very VERY excited for this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a 50-50 split, that comes out 12 units per side. I think the add ons may be important...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
On a 50-50 split, that comes out 12 units per side. I think the add ons may be important...

With Zvezda being a plastic figure company, I'm sure that selling people more units is part of the goal. I'm glad to see that they included quite a few figures--there weren't that many figures in Operation Barbarossa.

I would assume that the scenarios included with the game are designed to use the figures included. Though I suppose that 1 or 2 might be included with a "and if you had some extra figures, look what you could play" message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
So two copies of Samurai Battles? Anyone owning Operation Barbarossa have an opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I just posted the photo of the box back, awaiting mods approval.

The game also comes with 6 double-sided game boards, so getting two sets, you could really put together some epic battles! Even just one set, I'm guessing will get you a lot of playability (I believe the hexes are 2", but I'm not sure about the board dimensions).

Even so, I'm particularly stoked about the support that's reported for the game. At around launch, you should be able to buy additional units available in the base game in mini-expansions (each "expansion" contains one unit of figures). But as has been posted elsewhere, I can't wait to see these upcoming units (supposedly to be available later in 2012):

Samurai archers
Samurai no-dati
Ninja (!!)
Monk archers
Monks with yari and naginata
Peasants with ammo supply
Mounted Samurai archers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just up my Wish List to MUST HAVE

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pic of the box-back is up, looks pretty good. Although I must say, those are not exactly the most attractive cards of the C&C series...

It's sounding like 2 base sets is not a bad idea if there are only 12 units per side, that doesn't seem to leave a lot of room for variety in scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
So two copies of Samurai Battles? Anyone owning Operation Barbarossa have an opinion?

Hard-core devotees of the C&C system will sometimes buy two copies of a C&C title so they can do Epic Style games straightaway, if they wish. For example, I'll put on C&C: "Epic" Napoelonics games that cover two boards using rules that are derived from C&C: Ancients Epics. Need to copies of the game to do that.

I do have one copy of Operation Barbarossa 1941 and one of each of the mini-kits that are available for the game so far. In my opinion, that's plenty of material for the game already. I'm down for Samurai Battles and one of each of the mini-kits that will support that game. I'll play some games with those before I think of getting a second copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
BradyLS wrote:
I'm down for Samurai Battles and one of each of the mini-kits that will support that game.

Ah, but the problem with that strategy is that you now have uneven numbers of units! Who gets the extra Ashigaru spearmen? The Samurai cavalry?

You need TWO of each of the mini kits!

Maybe even FOUR of each!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I see the breakdown from the image on the back of the box.

40 - Ashigaru Spear Men (8 stands of 5 figures) *
20 - Samurai Naginata (4 stands of 5 figures)
20 - Ashigaru Bowmen (4 stands of 5 figures) *
10 - Ashigaru Arquebus (2 stands of 5 figures)
08 - Cavalry (4 stands of 2 figures) *
08 - HQ figures (2 stands of 4 figures)
04 - Command Figures
110 Total Figures

* Image shows a Command figure on the stand

Not sure where I am missing 2 figures.

I am guessing there will be a total of 10 cavalry units as there are 4 stands and the cavalry command unit cannot fit on an infantry base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goblin Wizard
Poland
flag msg tools
It says "122 Medieval Japanese plastic figures" so you missed at least 12. If you simply multiply the amount of free slots on each stand by the given number and add 4 commanders you'll get 124. So my guess is that some units will have only 5 figures (as picture shows) and you'll be able to attach commanders to units of your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblin_Wizard wrote:
It says "122 Medieval Japanese plastic figures" so you missed at least 12. If you simply multiply the amount of free slots on each stand by the given number and add 4 commanders you'll get 124. So my guess is that some units will have only 5 figures (as picture shows) and you'll be able to attach commanders to units of your choice.

Shows me for trying to add a bunch of little figures late at night. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.