Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While at my board game night last night at my FLGS I was mentioning I wanted to borrow a friends Twilight Imperium 2nd edition to see what I thought of the game. The shop owner immediately turns to me and says "I'll sell you the copy we have for $50. I'm tired of seeing it on the shelf."

Looks like I am the proud new owner of TI3.

But he does stuff like this regularly, hosts events all the time for things other than magic even though magic is the bread and comics are the butter for the shop.

He may not have a huge selection, but he will always order me what I want and give me a good rate on it. I consider myself lucky to have a good one near me.

Anyone else got some FLGS love stories to go along with some of the negatives on the board lately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Wayne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on a first name basis with the owner of my F(not so L)GS.

He always responds to emails about availability and pricing within a day. He is always friendly when I come in. He is willing to hold things for me for a fairly long time - even if the title is new, rare, or OOP. When he is ringing me up, the prices he charges me are always 5%-10% less than what is on the sticker (which is usually already marked down 10%-15% from MSRP).

Sure, the prices are never what I could get things for on CSI or Amazon, but I'm willing to drive the 50 minutes or so to get there because the experience is so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy who runs the only local gaming store in my area is a really nice guy, and his younger brother who works there is fairly cool in his own right. It is more of a comic store to be honest, but they carry quite a few games.

Whenever I stop in, I always talk with them about pretty much anything, and they provide a nice, clean environment for me to chill out and look around for awhile. Plus, they allowed my daughter to hold their "official" movie prop Thor's Hammer for a few minutes. Sucker weighed about 20 pounds.

I don't buy too much from them, but I average a purchase a month - and let it be known I avoid the place like the plague during their designated Magic nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing about boardgame stores is the fact that you can touch and read and see the game you want in the flesh which you can't do when ordering online.

To bad for me that the nearest decent game store is about an hour and a half away from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i support my closest FLGS as much as possible, but now they are so focused on warhammer and MtG that there board game selection has dwindled to nothing, the local comic shop now has a better more up to date selection. I also find that the workers are rather elitist snobs in the FLGS who think if you are not playing magic you are not playing anything....

However, the one closest to my house is NOT my favorite FLGS the other one is about 15 miles away in soggy Ashland, they are very nice, easy to work with and have a huge selection of boardgames. I do support my FLGS of Funagain games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
It creates and retains jobs for my community, which in turn creates tax for the council which is invested in more jobs, education, lighting and transport. It also increases the foot traffic in the area reducing crime and encouraging other retail and service outlets to open up. Thus I can get a pint and have some sushi on my trip.

Buying in my community helps my community.

Further I enjoy the old fashioned retail experience and it's nice to have representation on the high street. While I don't use it to meet people I know that it's a service that they also provide and that's nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is a rather interesting story, it concerns a FLGS that I purchased from in Colorado. Thing is, I live in California.

As I was frantically trying to find a copy of Belfort before the first print run completely sold out, I had heard this store had a couple of new copies in stock, so I called them to inquire. They informed me that they NORMALLY have every game marked down somewhere in the vicinity of 15-20% of MSRP, just because they're cool like that!

So I purchased it over the phone and gave the shipping girl my address for her to send me the game. Now, normally, I abhor buying a game without seeming the actual copy first (it's part of my OCD; I don't trust when people tell me the condition of the box is "fine" or "good".) So I ask this girl if she would take extra care when packaging it. And do you know what she tells me? She says (I'm paraphrasing): "Oh sure, yeah, of course, I'm the same way, I'll package it with lots of bubble wrap and make sure the corners don't get dinged or anything."

I Purchased Belfort on a Friday, I received it in the mail the following Monday! surprise

You can bet that I'll be "shopping" from them again. And if I'm ever in Colorado, I will be sure to stop in and say hello/thanks and otherwise be merry in their presence for their absolutely wonderful, friendly customer service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, at my FLGS we game on Tuesday nights there and being that we buy about 95% of the board games they sell we get 25% off our game purchases with out having to pay to join a discount club or anything. It is awesome, it's almost like buying online but you have the NOW itch scratched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Murphy
United States
Medford
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Valairia wrote:
However, the one closest to my house is NOT my favorite FLGS the other one is about 15 miles away in soggy Ashland, they are very nice, easy to work with and have a huge selection of boardgames. I do support my FLGS of Funagain games.

Are you talking about Funagain in Ashland? I only heard about their existence a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to check it out. Glad to know that I've got good things in store when I can finally make it out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For every reason that someone gives why they support their local game store; I can give ten reasons why I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
For every reason that someone gives why they support their local game store; I can give ten reasons why I don't.

I count at least 5 distinct reasons here that people shop their local game store. Can you provide 50 reasons not to shop?
Or can we try to keep this positive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conphas wrote:
While at my board game night last night at my FLGS I was mentioning I wanted to borrow a friends Twilight Imperium 2nd edition to see what I thought of the game. The shop owner immediately turns to me and says "I'll sell you the copy we have for $50. I'm tired of seeing it on the shelf."

You should still check out TI2. I like it better than TI3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Skedzielewski
United States
Augusta TWP
Michigan
flag msg tools
Who has two thumbs and likes Tacos....?
badge
...This Guy!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Local store that I game at on wednesday nights offers up %20 discount if you spend the night gaming at their establishment. Then if you establish yourself as being a regular, they will sell games at that discount every day, because they know you could just wait till the next wednesday to get your fix. Also if you want something that he doesn't have, he'll gladly order up what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I "heart" Lone Star Comics of Fort Worth, TX

I've learned a ton about games from clerks and fellow patrons (and about comics, too!). I don't feel guilty about getting some games online because (A) I get some games at the store, and (B) I get my (and my son's) comics there even though I could save a lot by using Marvel's subscription service.

I don't want to live in a town without a comic/game store, or have to rely solely on Barnes (and now Target!) for a pedestrian selection of games. I want to go into my FLGS and hear some old grognard insist that it's time to start my 12-year-old on war games, or smile and bite my tongue as some new face tries to convince that Munchkin is the best thing since sliced bread. I want to point at a game like "Legend of Drizzt" and ask someone, "hey, I heard you talking about that, how does it compare to the other two?" I want to scour the bargain/closeout bin and score some card game for 1/3 of the price it was a couple weeks earlier. And dangit, I want to handle and look through comics in hopes of stumbling upon something right up my alley that I would have never discovered otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Conphas wrote:

You should still check out TI2. I like it better than TI3.

I'll keep it in mind. I like the idea of a cold war better that a hot one. But my friend has no plans of getting rid of it, so I should have a chance to try it out at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
worldsmith wrote:
Valairia wrote:

Are you talking about Funagain in Ashland? I only heard about their existence a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to check it out. Glad to know that I've got good things in store when I can finally make it out there.

Yea Funagain in Ashland, only those of us in southwest oregon can actually call it a local gamestore...be sure you ask for permission to go into the back, follow the rules and leave your credit card at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:

Wrong thread

But seriously, even those of us who love our FLGSs can ALSO give reasons not to go there . . . but you don't get it. The reasons TO GO THERE eclipse the reasons not to (for many of us, it sounds like)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS runs events and game days for all sorts of games as well as board games, never marks up product regardless of how rare, OOP, or faddishly in-demand it is. They are, to a person, extremely friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. They don't run much of a discount on games, and I don't expect them too. They do have a modest rewards program, and when I am going to outright buy a title I usually buy it there because I appreciate their presence and support.
If you are ever in San Rafael, CA. (or the North Bay in general) check out Gamescape North.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My store provides a place to play, a wider than usual variety of snacks for while we're playing (they order pizza which they resell by the slice, etc...), and a great atmosphere.

The owner is outgoing, talks to us as friends, and plays games with us. I can ask him to look for an OOP game and know he'll scour every resource he has to try to get it for me. Even if he comes up empty handed, I appreciate the effort. Ordinary orders of in-print stuff are of course no problem either.

They allow trade-ins and sell the used games for reasonable rates. I've picked up a number of games I probably wouldn't have otherwise because of this. Last night I noticed several more used games had appeared and I'm probably going to get a couple of them as soon as he works out the prices.

A couple of weeks ago, several of us were interested in trying out Ghost Stories. We had an experienced player willing to teach it, but nobody had a copy. So we told the store owner that we wanted to play a game and promised that one of us would buy it afterward but we didn't know who yet (the teacher volunteered to if nobody else wanted it) and he said that was fine. We opened it up, played two games, and one of the other new players bought it. A lot of stores wouldn't allow something like this.

They have a shelf where members can leave their games if they wish. It's understood that this is an "at your own risk" thing, but some people do like to not have to carry their stuff every week and they can choose to let others borrow the games if they want. There is also a shelf of opened store-owned games we can borrow and play.

Last night I got an email from them with a 10% off coupon just out of the blue. It's their new club promo, they're planning to offer some sort of coupon once a month to game club members. Unfortunately I didn't check my mail until after I'd left the club, so I'll have to wait for next time to use it on something.

They also host some special events, such as the game designers day we had recently. Anyone who wanted to could bring in their prototype and we all took turns playtesting each other's stuff and offering feedback, then held a Q&A session for people to learn from each other. They're working on turning this into a regular feature maybe once every couple months.

Overall, it's a great shop. It feels more like a club than a store, but also has things to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb selection. Great staff (two brothers and a cousin are the main owners I think, never have gotten that settled in my mind) who are all friendly, customer-oriented, engaging with new gamers/customers and treat regulars like family, and highly knowledgeable. Excellent prices. Will order anything you want. Five minute walk from work.

What's not to like about J&J in Waterloo (dated website not withstanding)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valairia wrote:
i support my closest FLGS as much as possible, but now they are so focused on warhammer and MtG that there board game selection has dwindled to nothing, the local comic shop now has a better more up to date selection. I also find that the workers are rather elitist snobs in the FLGS who think if you are not playing magic you are not playing anything....

I feel for you - I really do. I am extremely thankful that my FLGS (L.A. Mood's has recently found that there is money to be made in stocking board games. And they went 'all in' so to speak. From barely 6 linear feet of shelf space 2 years ago to now nearly 40 feet, board games dominate the wall space of the store. They also stock ample RPGs, comics and pre painted miniatures (they carried Reaper minis too but they never sold very well). I feel pretty proud as one of the owners asked me my opinion on some games he could stock that might be good sellers. Of the 5 I suggested he was able to get in 4 and all must be selling well as he keeps them stocked on a regular basis.

They have also taken to running monthly board game meet ups the 3rd Saturday of every month with discount cards and door prizes. Their 'frequent buyer card' and ability to sell games at the US list price in CAN $$ (believe me it makes a HUGE difference - to the point that there is less than 5% difference in price vs. online shops for the vast majority of games and in many cases they come in cheaper).

And most importantly Gord and Carol are my friends. I like knowing that when I purchase a game from them it is helping them keep food on the table and a roof over their heads. They come over for gatherings we have at our place and are just good people. They deserve all the success they are enjoying right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:

Just because you are a bitter old sourpuss doesn't mean you get to crap on our thread! There is another thread just for you over here. have fun!

Seriously I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have an awesome store that enables them to shop and spend their money knowing that they aren't missing out on online deep discounters. My FLGS gives me the best of both worlds and I am very thankful for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS is Leisure Games in Finchley.

Do I need to explain more? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Superb selection. Great staff (two brothers and a cousin are the main owners I think, never have gotten that settled in my mind) who are all friendly, customer-oriented, engaging with new gamers/customers and treat regulars like family, and highly knowledgeable. Excellent prices. Will order anything you want. Five minute walk from work.

What's not to like about J&J in Waterloo (dated website not withstanding)?

I'm with you on that. I use to live about a 5 minute drive from J&J. Now that I live in Stratford I stop by anytime I'm in Waterloo. I've bought more games there than I have online. Plus the prices are fantastic. Plus I'm pretty sure they know who I am - not by name but I'm in their fairly frequently and I usually leave with something in my hand (and less money in my pocket)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved away for three years and when I walked in to the FLGS, the Manager instantly recalled my name. Nice dude! Check out Game Night Games in SLC Utah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.