Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
The official rules for the 1910 version says to use the Globetrotter bonus rather than the longest track bonus. I rather miss the longest track competition, and not sure I really like the Globetrotter bonus, since fulfilling more tickets is its own reward.

Has anyone played the 1910 version with the Longest Track bonus instead of the Globetrotter bonus? Does anyone see any problems with doing this?

Some forum comments indicate that the 1910 version has a more balanced set of route cards than the original. Given that some have said that there was some imbalance with the original set of cards, why not just play the 1910 version as an improved version of the original, as having improved route cards but still using only the longest track bonus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with both or one or the other depending upon our mood. I would just encourage you to get agreement before you start to avoid a conflict at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Southern California
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with both. Just adds a little more variety and excitement at the end.

I understand you're worry about being rewarded already for having more tickets. But people who take more tickets are undeniably taking more risk. Especially if that extra 15 points becomes a goal for players, then they may take more tickets than they can afford.

In my experience it works out better than you're anticipating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, there's probably less "manueverability" for LR when playing the 1910 variant.

FallenFusion wrote:
We always play with both. Just adds a little more variety and excitement at the end.

I understand you're worry about being rewarded already for having more tickets. But people who take more tickets are undeniably taking more risk. Especially if that extra 15 points becomes a goal for players, then they may take more tickets than they can afford.

In my experience it works out better than you're anticipating.
Then you get cases where a player needs to take Destination Tickets that are fewer in points just to keep up with the GT award. And yeah, there's tension alone when others draw Dticks and keep a good # of them, which is its own obstacle to overcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Zimmerman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're playing the mega game, then you're supposed to use both bonus cards. Only when you are playing with only the 35 new cards do you use the GT bonus instead of the LR. And unfortunately with the Big Cities you don't use either one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hackwood
United States
Near the Great Lakes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We purchased the 1910 expansion along with the base Ticket to Ride for the larger cards, and have been experimenting yet with all the tickets and their various routes.

One of the things that got noticed rather quickly was that with the basic destination cards it became somewhat too easy to tell where a player was headed. The 1910 variation fixed this to some extent, but the points seemed a little screwy and everybody missed the Longest Train bonus card.

However, nobody liked the Big Cities set played by itself - probably due to multiple games of several players each getting 1-2 (of far too many IMO) Los Angeles tickets in their initial draw.

One compromise we worked out was to use both bonus cards, with Longest Train still able to be shared and the Globetrotter as per usual going to the player with most completed routes - if there is a tie however, nobody gets the bonus.

Two weeks ago I began experimenting with mixing destination cards from all three sets of the 1910 expansion, trying to get only (2) tickets per city if at all possible; although I then discovered Helena, Little Rock, Raleigh, and Charleston all only have a single ticket linking into that city. Not new knowledge I'm sure, but surprising nonetheless, in particular for Helena.

I ended up with a deck of thirty-six tickets, which wasn't too far off the normal thirty-five cards used by most of the 1910 variations.

[36] ticket version;
21 point
San Francisco to Washington

19 point
Las Vegas to New York
Phoenix to Boston

17 point
San Francisco to Sault Ste. Marie

16 point
Portland to Houston
Los Angeles to Chicago

14 point
Calgary to Nashville
Seattle to Oklahoma City

13 point
Vancouver to Santa Fe
Vancouver to Duluth

11 point
Dallas to New York
Winnipeg to Little Rock
Portland to Phoenix
Kansas City to Boston
Denver to Pittsburgh

10 point
Houston to Washington
Seattle to Las Vegas
Duluth to El Paso
Toronto to Miami

9 point
Chicago to Santa Fe
Montreal to Atlanta

8 point
Omaha to New Orleans
Helena to Los Angeles
Sault Ste. Marie to Oklahoma City
Saint Louis to Miami
Pittsburgh to New Orleans

7 point
Salt Lake City to Kansas City
Duluth to Dallas
Calgary to Salt Lake City
Montreal to Raleigh

6 point
Denver to Saint Louis
Winnipeg to Omaha
Toronto to Charleston
Nashville to New York

5 point
Chicago to Atlanta

4 point
Denver to El Paso [376 total pts.]

However, while that deck somewhat worked I hadn't paid enough attention to how the routes went from city to city (N - S, E - W, etc), and ended up again with too many instances of a near impossibility to get into or through a locale when drawing tickets late in the game for those last few points or bonus attempt. I understand there is always going to be, and should be, conflict over routes but there are varying degrees of cutthroat play: Las Vegas for example is just generating too much ill-feeling.

I've altered the deck slightly after a couple weekends of play, and ended up with thirty-seven tickets this time, paying attention to both not overloading the available routes into a specific city or the E - W/N - S routes of the board. I also removed a couple tickets that after all our sessions the past couple months seem too much train laying for too little points, such as [Toronto to Miami].

[37] ticket version:
21 point
San Francisco to Washington

20 points
Seattle to New York

19 point
Phoenix to Boston

17 points
San Francisco to Sault Ste. Marie

16 point
Los Angeles to Chicago
Portland to Houston

15 point
Los Angeles to Atlanta

14 point
Seattle to Oklahoma City

13 point
Montreal to New Orleans
Calgary to Phoenix
Vancouver to Duluth

12 point
Boston to Miami

11 point
Denver to Pittsburgh
Winnipeg to Little Rock
Kansas City to Boston
Dallas to New York
Salt Lake City to Chicago

10 point
Duluth to El Paso
Winnipeg to Santa Fe
Houston to Washington

9 point
Chicago to Santa Fe
Seattle to Los Angeles

8 point
Sault Ste. Marie to Oklahoma City
Omaha to New Orleans
Saint Louis to Miami
Helena to Los Angeles

7 point
Calgary to Salt Lake City
Montreal to Raleigh
Salt Lake City to Kansas City
Montreal to Chicago
Duluth to Dallas

6 point
Toronto to Charleston
Denver to Saint Louis
Nashville to New York
New York to Atlanta

5 point
Chicago to Atlanta

4 point
Washington to Atlanta [392 total pts.]

I don't want to use all or nearly all of the total tickets, as then it seems players either end up with too many free route completions near end game, nor do I want to use too few as then once enough players have drawn 3/4 and kept their 1 ticket anything left in the draw pile has likely been discarded as not completable.

I'd like to be able to try how Europa 1912 is set up with drawing both long and short destination tickets for less randomness of points but there seems to be too few 16-21 point routes in the 1910 Expansion for that to work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.