1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: This game was WAAAY easier than I thought rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Fatman
msg tools
mb
We played four games(first time any of us have played this game) and won all four last night. 3 games were with all 6 Epidemics. and the last one we started the game with an epidemics in addition to the normal setup.(which caused 3 out breaks on turn one, ouch). the only rule I am not sure of.. can a player share knowledge by giving AND/OR taking or can the person expending the action only give cards? They state "should sharing knowledge give any player more than 7 cards that player must immediately discard down to seven". Either way not really a hamstringer.

I mean we are thinking of adding rules to remove players from the game* to keep up the suspense. Also thinking of voiding special event cards(possibly even voiding some of the roles' powers) but leaving them in to fill the deck and slow down card collecting.

Let me know what you think I am doing wrong or is it the expansion that makes it hard?

Details:
Game 1
3 players (roles were chosen)
Medic, Researcher, Scientist
4 Epidemics(2 played)
3 Outbreaks

Game 2
4 Players (random roles)
Medic, Researcher, Dispatcher, Scientist
6 Epidemics (5 played)
3 Outbreaks

Game3
4 Players (random roles)
Medic,Dispatcher, Operator, Scientist
6 Epidemics (5 played)
2 Outbreaks

Game4
4 Players
Medic,Dispatcher, Operator, Scientist
6 Epidemics (4 played (1 of which was played off the top of the deck))
4 Outbreaks

*(This would happen if a player is ever on a space while an outbreak occurs then that player dies and is removed from the game. This keeps the dispatcher from moving the Medic onto spaces with 3 cubes on them, thus forcing the medic to expend an action moving to potential outbreak sites to eradicate the virus.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sixteen Blue
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finishing a 3 player game before you've hit a 3rd Epidemic seems really unlikely to me, especially in a first game. I wonder if you're not doing a rule right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to guess that you are passing cards (sharing knowledge) without the 'must be in the city named on the card' limitation (though the Researcher can break that limitation).

The Researcher has to co-locate with someone, and may pass cards OUT only (From Researcher to someone else) using his special ability, at a cost of one action per card traded (action of whomever's turn it is, Researcher must be involved in the trade).

Otherwise, the only way to transfer cards between any other roles is to have both pawns co-located in the city named on the card. The 'Share Knowledge' action may be either direction provided the location and co-location clauses are met.

Also, are you invoking hand limits at the moment it happens? As soon as someone hits more than 7 cards (for any reason), they must discard down to 7 immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sixteen Blue
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Passing cards was my guess too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to have a look through this thread: Common mistakes. It's hard to say what you might be doing, but 6 epidemics with 4 players is TOUGH, and you definitely shouldn't be winning so often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t w
United States
flag msg tools
If you're playing with all 6 epidemics and winning every game, you're definitely doing something wrong. Before thinking about introducing house rules, make sure you're doing everything else correctly.

Tough to say what rule you're missing - the SHARE KNOWLEDGE is a good guess, as is perhaps implementing the epidemics wrong. For each epidemic, you should be:

1) Drawing a card from the BOTTOM of the deck and putting 3 cubes in that city and then discarding that card.

2) Taking the discard pile (including the card you just drew in step 1) and shuffling it - NOT with the draw pile - and then placing the mixed-up former discards back on TOP of the draw pile.

And then, something we always forget - you still have to do the infection phase, which means drawing 2, 3, or 4 cards from the top of the pile, i.e., from the cards you just shuffled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Fatman
msg tools
mb
Im doing all that, We were only passing a card in the city listed on the card. It just doesnt seem too hard. If your medic is getting thrown around the board (by the dispatcher) toward all potential outbreaks and then whoever(player A for instance) with a needed city (lets call it New York) card heads to New York, letting the dispatcher move player "b" who needs the card there once player A reaches NewYork. Plus another player can be moving to a second needed city at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a lack of outbreaks, my guess is deck management. Something wrong there.

If you play on BSW it enforces all rules. Give it a try and find out what you are doing wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sixteen Blue
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heading to New York can take a long time unless you're using cards to travel. Using cards to travel makes curing diseases harder. It's impressive to have drawn the 20 required cards and put them in the right hands before getting through half the epidemics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if you could do a breakdown of each move the next time you play/win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MFatman wrote:
Im doing all that, We were only passing a card in the city listed on the card. It just doesnt seem too hard. If your medic is getting thrown around the board (by the dispatcher) toward all potential outbreaks and then whoever(player A for instance) with a needed city (lets call it New York) card heads to New York, letting the dispatcher move player "b" who needs the card there once player A reaches NewYork. Plus another player can be moving to a second needed city at the same time.

Either you have grok'd this game straight out of the chute and are beating the hardest level in the base set, or you are doing something wrong.

As I have not witnessed you playing the game, I cannot state which it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Fatman
msg tools
mb
I just read the common mistake and found something we were doing wrong that makes the game easier!!

Concerning the medic and a cured disease...
"- All cubes of cured diseases in the same city as the Medic, including newly placed cubes, are immediately removed. This does not require an action and occurs at all times, not just on the Medic's turn."

We were playing this only happens on the medic's turn! if the dispatcher can move the medic around and cure cites on the Dispathcer's turn! than this got waaay easier, The closest we came to losing was with a cured disease in the final game and we had to wait with baited breath for the medic to start clearing black out (only 4 black cubes not on the board at that time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad you are enjoying the game. I plan to review it myself soon, but after having four serious gamers try this game on different skill levels all in a row and losing all 5 games in a row (some narrowly, some by a long shot) I can only wonder what you might have done wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sixteen Blue
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MFatman wrote:
I just read the common mistake and found something we were doing wrong that makes the game easier!!

"- All cubes of cured diseases in the same city as the Medic, including newly placed cubes, are immediately removed. This does not require an action and occurs at all times, not just on the Medic's turn."

We were playing this only happens on the medic's turn! if the dispatcher can move the medic around and cure cites on the Dispathcer's turn! than this got waaay easier, The closest we came to losing was with a cured disease in the final game and we had to wait with baited breath for the medic to start clearing black out (only 4 black cubes not on the board at that time)

How are you using the Dispatcher to throw the Medic around? I feel like that's what's making it so easy for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that every time the dispatcher moves the medic, that uses up one of the DISPATCHER's actions for that turn -- so the medic can only move as far as the dispatcher could. Plus, the dispatcher can only move players on his own turn -- if you have 4 players, that's not very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Fatman
msg tools
mb
zombiegod wrote:
It would be nice if you could do a breakdown of each move the next time you play/win.

I will do a play by play at least if not a video this weekend, its killing me because I hyped this game up to my players about it being an all niter to win. Then we sat there and beat it 4 straight times, the last time trying to lose by starting with an epidemic. They kinda laughed at me
It got to the pint in game 3 that I paused the game sent them out to smoke and reread the rules because we were two turns off of winning the third game, all needed cards were in our hands it was just getting to the cities to trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Did each player take on the role of The Infector after their turn?

Also if an Epidemic card was drawn, did you draw from the Bottom of the deck (cards equal to the infection rate), then add 3 Cubes to the newly infected city, and then shuffle it along with the other discards, and replace all the cards back on top of the deck?

Did you increase the Infection Rate after each Epidemic?

Did you increase the Outbreak Marker after each Outbreak?

Did you seed the board to begin the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So obviously playing wrong even though you won't admit/realize it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Fatman
msg tools
mb
SixteenBlue wrote:
[q="MFatman"]How are you using the Dispatcher to throw the Medic around? I feel like that's what's making it so easy for you.

Remember that two of us were spreading out getting to the cites needed to trade a card. Since that usually meant spreading out the Dispatcher had pawns spanning the globe that he could send the Medic to. Plus if the Medic had the needed card it was a double whammy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Fatman
msg tools
mb
AstroLad wrote:
So obviously playing wrong even though you won't admit/realize it.

Why do you think I started my post with the rule I assumed I had wrong(sharing knowledge). I want this game to be hard unbeatable even, a co-op that is easy is just a waste of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm not adding anything new to the discussion, but there are only two options here:

1) You are playing something wrong.

2) You guys are Pandemic gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sixteen Blue
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MFatman wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:
[q="MFatman"]How are you using the Dispatcher to throw the Medic around? I feel like that's what's making it so easy for you.

Remember that two of us were spreading out getting to the cites needed to trade a card. Since that usually meant spreading out the Dispatcher had pawns spanning the globe that he could send the Medic to. Plus if the Medic had the needed card it was a double whammy.

That's not what I meant. What I meant was are you playing a card to move the Medic? Otherwise you can only move one space at a time. If you're moving the Medic with cards that often no way could you also have the cards necessary to cure the diseases.

Basically, I think it's literally impossible to move around as much as you are and still have enough cards to cure diseases unless you're not playing cards to move long distances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Just to be sure you know, the Medic only has this power over a cured disease.

Also making sure, you know when the player card deck runs out you lose?

These are some other possibilities:

Quote:
You may pass a card to or receive a card from another player who is on the same location as you if the card matches your location.

Quote:
Curing a disease costs 5 cards of the matching color, and must be done at a research station (of any color).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
I know I'm not adding anything new to the discussion, but there are only two options here:

1) You are playing something wrong.

2) You guys are Pandemic gods.

Oh, there's a third option.

Quote:

User Details for MFatman
Registration Date: 2012-03-29

Yeah, there's certainly a third option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Fatman
msg tools
mb
No without the researcher we deemed wasting cards on moving to be last resort. So the Dispatcher did all moving just about, well except for walking or Research facility to research facility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.