United States
Duluth
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I finally have my game to the point where it is ready for Beta playtesting. So far I have about 100 games in and now I need new sets of eyes, so if you are interested please post. The design is most noticeably influenced by Pandemic but with a heavy Biblical theme. The graphics will change, I just wanted something that looked kind of nice for testing with teens.

Here is the rulebook:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxauhS3HiOy9UW43eHRrdElTYld...

If you have any questions or comments based on the rulebook I would be glad to hear them.

Here is the website for my game:
www.kingsofisraelgame.com

And here is a brief summary of the game:

Kings of Israel is a board game taking place in Israel (the Northern Kingdom) during the reign of the kings up until its destruction by Assyria. Players are on a team and each person represents a prophet or a line of prophets that are trying to remove evil and sin from Israel, while building altars to God to help guide Israel in the upcoming difficult times. If the players are able to build enough altars before the game ends, they win. If the game ends by the players running out of sin cubes or idols, or if Israel is destroyed by Assyria, they lose.

This is a picture of the board and the components. The map is of Israel and the dots are various locations during this period of time, while the large red bars represent the various surrounding nations and peoples. Between the locations are roads and some cities on the sea are connected by sea routes. Roads and sea routes are how the prophets travel around Israel. Sin travels mostly by roads.

On the left hand side is a list of all the kings of the Northern Kingdom and they also represent the turn for the game. At the beginning of the game a marker starts at the top king, King Saul, and then usually goes down one space every turn until it hits the red box at the bottom, representing the destruction of Israel by Assyria.

A typical turn has four phases:

1. King's Godliness Phase - During this phase, if a bad king is reigning over Israel the players must draw a Sin and Punishment card, which means bad things happen in Israel because of evil or in response to evil. If during a reign of a good king, nothing happens here and at the end of the turn the starting player gets a Blessing card.

2. Sin Increases Phase - Location cards are drawn and sin increases at each location drawn. This can cause idols to appear if enough sin is at a location or sin spreads further if sin increases at a location with an idol.

3. Prophets Work Phase - In the phase each prophet gets to use four actions to do things. They may use their actions to move, remove sin or idols, draw resource cards, build an altar, make a sacrifice on an altar, or to trade with another prophet. They may also play Blessing cards at this time if they have them.

4. End of Round Phase - Any one who made a sacrifice this turn gets a Blessing card, or if that turn there was a good king the starting player also gets a Blessing card. Then the starting player changes to the next player.

Kings of Israel should take about 30-45 minutes to play for 2 players, 45-60 minutes for 3 players, and 60-75 minutes for 4 players, with it being a little longer for the first time a group plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in; but I can't respond with results until after the Easter season and the spring break vacation that follows it.

My Sunday School class is currently going through 2nd Samuel; so this may be an interesting game to explore with some of them once we finish that book (probably finish by June).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

My Sunday School class is currently going through 2nd Samuel

How very apropos!

This sounds like my kind of game. I like cooperative games, and I'm way into the Old Testament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I specialize in ancient Israelite (and ancient Near Eastern) history, so this one has me written all over it

It looks and sounds like you've really done your homework with this, but as you know, it never hurts to have a second set of eyes look over everything, especially something with historical facts and details like this. Congrats on getting this far with your design. I really like what I see.

It doesn't hurt that Pandemic is one of my all time favorite games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-ops are huge at my church based Game Group (Forbidden Island and Shadows Over Camelot in particular). The game group is an outreach too, so learning a little about about the Bible in the process would fit right into our mission. I'd love to play test this or please let me know where I can get it when it becomes available and best of luck with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Davis
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that looks great. Don't know if I can playtest it here all they here in holly land.

I like the idea of Pandemic, and I like co-operative games, but Pandemic was missing something in my opinion, and I didn't play it much. Maybe this game has that missing thing to make its full potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Lino Lakes
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks super interesting. I can get you a review up as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to playtest this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Duluth
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the responses! One of the original reasons I wanted to design this game was so that I could have a game I could use with my teen Bible studies. About a year ago I tried to do a Bible study using Settlers of Canaan with labels on the board for important locations, but the map was not very good for that purpose. I then started to think of a way I could teach Biblical geography, while still having a great game to play, and I eventually came to the idea of Kings of Israel.

So far for playtesters it seems like I have for sure:

Stormtower (in June)
riddell
knatebaker
skifreak737

Did I miss anyone? I will wait until later today before contacting people to get addresses for sending the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Duluth
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I should post a few more pictures from the game to give you a better idea of how Kings of Israel works.

If you are familiar with Pandemic, every turn some cards are drawn to show what locations are getting more disease. The same idea occurs in Kings of Israel with sin cubes but before that happens there is a step that looks to see if you are on a good king or bad king in the timeline. Depending on the king a player might receive a blessing for a good king, or more likely, since there were mostly bad kings in Israel, a Sin and Punishment card is drawn. To give you a better idea what that means, here are a few of the Sin and Punishment cards (there are 30 in all):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebrainy wrote:
Thank you for all the responses! One of the original reasons I wanted to design this game was so that I could have a game I could use with my teen Bible studies. About a year ago I tried to do a Bible study using Settlers of Canaan with labels on the board for important locations, but the map was not very good for that purpose. I then started to think of a way I could teach Biblical geography, while still having a great game to play, and I eventually came to the idea of Kings of Israel.

Stormtower (in June)
riddell
knatebaker
skifreak737

Did I miss anyone? I will wait until later today before contacting people to get addresses for sending the game.

Me!!! Seriously, I'm working on a Ph.D. in Old Testament, and I've been waiting for a game like this since I got into gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Duluth
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
Blessing cards are drawn on the turns with good kings and whenever a sacrifice is made during the game. Without good use of Blessing cards the prophets will likely fail badly. Like the Sin and Punishment cards, there are 30 of these total.

[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Call
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to playtest this for you. I have a gaming group that has playtested a game before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Duluth
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
thebrainy wrote:

Stormtower (in June)
riddell
knatebaker
skifreak737

Me!!! Seriously, I'm working on a Ph.D. in Old Testament, and I've been waiting for a game like this since I got into gaming.

Excellent! I was hoping you were in too since I could definitely use someone with solid knowledge of the Old Testament. I referenced the Bible and "The New Moody Atlas of the Bible" heavily when designing the game but I have not had anyone do a good double-checking of my work and research yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd be very interested in playtesting, and I could also mention it on my blog whenever you'd be ready for some more publicity about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilroy_locke wrote:
Yeah, I'd be very interested in playtesting, and I could also mention it on my blog whenever you'd be ready for some more publicity about it...

I was just about to suggest he contact you - I figured this would be right up your alley!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Admje14 wrote:
kilroy_locke wrote:

I was just about to suggest he contact you - I figured this would be right up your alley!

How true! Coop, Biblical, needs playtesting... All stuff I'm pretty heavily into!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
I would love to play test this! I have a heavy interest in the kings of Israel (in actual fact this weekend I am doing 9 talks on the days of Ahab).

How do I get to play test it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
thebrainy wrote:

Stormtower (in June)
riddell
knatebaker
skifreak737

me, me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Rohs
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Me me me! We love co-op!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
thebrainy wrote:

Me!!! Seriously, I'm working on a Ph.D. in Old Testament,

[off topic]Whoa, seriously? That's cool! Do they make you study Hebrew or Egyptian or anything for that?[/off topic]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
I would love to play test this! I have a heavy interest in the kings of Israel (in actual fact this weekend I am doing 9 talks on the days of Ahab).

How do I get to play test it?

I've downloaded the rules.

Also took a look at the website -- very well done, by the way, especially considering it's for the beta.

to Lance Hill -- what we would need for the playtest are the details of what is on the cards. Component-wise, we can probably make do with what we scrounge up.

I'm not too particular with format; you can give me a simple list of card text, if that's what you got. But some of the others here may want cards on "tiles" ... lemme know if you need help with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebrainy wrote:

I suggested myself, but don't know if shipping to Israel makes it worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris2210 wrote:
thebrainy wrote:

I suggested myself, but don't know if shipping to Israel makes it worthwhile.

Good point. What I was suggesting in my prior post was essentially a "Print-and-Play" kit for the playtesters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.