Subject: Death Angel - The Card Game Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like with every FFG game I had the pleasure to play, the componets in Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game are top notch. The team and support counters are thick and nicely designed, it's fun to see a bolter instead of a +1 or something like that. The cards in my copy where printed on a different kind of paper (there probably is a profesional name for it). It seems thicker and more durable, but unless it's cardboard, I pack all cards into sleeves. If you're familiar with the WH40k universum, the artwork will more than satisfy you. Dark gothic science fiction accents and perfect Space Marine arts. The Genestealers don't catch up with quality, but look good anyway. You also get a custom dice - nothing big, but a nice addition.

The manual is one of the downsides - you have to be prepared to read it at least 3 or 4 times, because rules for the same thing are scattered all around the rulebook. The game itself is really hard to beat, wchich can be a pro and con at the same time. After a lot of plays in combination from one to four players, all were full of hope and will to fight, but eventually all were unsuccesful. It's mainly due to the high randomness - you get only one dice to decide the outcome of every battle. When you attack you need a side with a skull. The number doesn't matter - you kill only one enemy... In that situation 3 dice/rolls for a battle would be a reasonable number, with +/- modificators, e.g. Arkham Horror. A cooperative game can't be easy, but having 1 dice and situations in which you can't re-roll make me think that the designer made this on purpose. Also almost every turn ends up in chaos on the table, because if a Terminator moves in the game, you have to physically move all the cards above or below him. When more than one Terminator is going to move, planning ahead can be a little bit tricky. Another major fault is that when your team dies, you can suggest moves to other players, but there is no physical way you can alter the game play - you just sit and watch. When the others lead the Space Marines to victory, you win as well, but I don't think that would satisfy me.

Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game isn't that bad. You can give it a try if you're a fan of WH40k or if you plan playing it alone, otherwise I wouldn't bother. And by all means don't buy this as your first game. I've probably didn't play it enough to try every possible strategy before I sold the game, but it was my first game and I wasn't prepared for the beating I was served. On the other hand, on sleepless nights, I was playing out in my mind possible scenarios of future sessions. So again, if you aren't a beginner, won't be turned of immediately by the rulebook and want a challenge, you can try the game, but I wouldn't consider it as a major (in terms of both size and overall quality) addition to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, when a marine moves he should only swap positions with one other marine card. Everything else stays in place (with an exception in the Tyranid expansion).

I suspect you meant when a Marine dies (which can move alot of cards around). I usually just move the cards at the dead marine's position to the appropriate marine and nudge the nearby cards towards the gap a little. Then the next time we Travel to a new location I straighten things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghargh wrote:
It's mainly due to the high randomness - you get only one dice to decide the outcome of every battle. When you attack you need a side with a skull. The number doesn't matter - you kill only one enemy...

I've seen a lot of comments recently about Death Angel being very random on the die rolls - and there certainly is luck involved. I view the game as being about "luck management" - if you roll several good rolls in a row, you'll be fine whatever happens; if you roll 5 zeroes in a row, as I did once, you've probably had it; but generally you're in that middle ground where not everything you roll is a success, but some of it is.

I think the actual game - the bit that keeps it interesting for me after well over a hundred games - is in the management of that: given that not everything you try this turn will work, but some of it will, but you don't know which in advance, how do you plan so that the risk of marine casualties is minimised, and if that can be achieved, how do you plan so that the expected genestealer deaths are maximised. Support tokens are a massive help in this, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dypaca wrote:
Just to be clear, when a marine moves he should only swap positions with one other marine card. Everything else stays in place (with an exception in the Tyranid expansion).

I suspect you meant when a Marine dies (which can move alot of cards around). I usually just move the cards at the dead marine's position to the appropriate marine and nudge the nearby cards towards the gap a little. Then the next time we Travel to a new location I straighten things out.

Ups, sorry about that, you are right

I didn't want to give anybody a bad impression - the game is quite good. I've played a lot of better games, but also there's a lot of games not even worth thinking about [BTW: In my ranks I gave it 6/10]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with CIM; this game is "luck management", and the main tool for that is the support action.

This game is a puzzle in which you are trying to build pathways that moves power from the team to a few important nodes - mostly your heavy guns, but not always.

If you try to use the power distributed evenly across your marines then the game is just luck and you will probably lose.

I enjoy it very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to write two more good sides of the game. Sorry about that.
The Space Marine mechanic placement, though not perfect, is quite original and good enough to fit the game. Every Terminator card has the same print on both sides. What for? So you don't have to run around the table or turn your head to read the Terminators rule - simple yet clever. And I haven't seen it in any other game I've played.
Another thing is that fully cooperative games are rather a minority, so it might be a decisive factor for some as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.