Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AKA Prosperity 2: The Revenge of Duration Cards. The theme of this fan expansion is a focus on Treasure interactions and having a good balance of Treasure and Action cards. Note: {} represents the victory symbol, and [] represents the coin symbol, if that isn't apparent.

Alms
[1]
When you play this, trash 2 of your Treasure cards from play. If you do, +1{V}.
([5] Treasure)

Aristocrat
+2 Buys
Treasure cards cost [1] less this turn (but not less than [0]).
-----
{2}
([5] Action – Victory)

Barter
Gain a Silver into your hand.
([4] Action)

Bounty
[?]
When you play this, reveal and discard the top 4 cards of your deck. Worth [1] per Action card discarded.
-----
{1}
([5] Treasure – Victory)

Cathedral
+2 Actions
You may trash a Treasure card from your hand.
-----
If you trashed a Treasure, then while this is in play, each time you play an Action card, +[1].
-----
When you gain this during your turn, discard 5 Coppers from play. If you do not, trash this and gain 3 Coppers.
([5] Action)

Cultivate
+1 Card
Reveal your hand. Choose one: +[1] per Action card in your hand; or +1 Action per Victory card in your hand.
([4] Action)

Discovery
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Reveal the top 5 cards of the Black Market deck. You may trash this. If you do, add one of the corresponding Kingdom piles to the supply. Cards from that pile cost [2] less this turn (but not less than [0]). Put the revealed cards on the bottom of the Black Market deck in any order.
Setup: Make a Black Market deck out of one copy of each Kingdom card not in the supply.
([5] Action)

Feudal Village
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
Each player (including you) reveals his hand. You may discard an Attack or Reaction card of your choice from each player’s hand. If a player discarded a card, he draws 2 and discards 1.
([5] Action)

Hideaway
[?]
Worth [1] per Treasure card on your Hideaway mat.
-----
When you gain a card while this is in play, you may set both this and the gained card aside until the end of the game.
([6] Treasure)

Investigator
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck. He puts one non-Treasure card back and discards the rest.
([2] Action)

Investment
+[1] at the start of each turn.
-----
When you gain this, you may trash a Gold from your hand. If you do, play this. Otherwise, trash this.
([3] Action – Duration)

Judge
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Buy; or +[2].
-----
When a player plays a card with the phrase “choose one,” you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, cast a vote for one of the available options. The player of the card may not choose any option with fewer votes than another. Return this to your hand at the end of that player’s turn.
([3] Action – Reaction)

King
Worth {2} for every 6+X Treasure cards in your deck (round down), where X is equal to the number of Kings in your deck.
([6] Victory)

Lost Fortune
[0]
On the turn you play this, you have [1] less to spend.
At the start of your next turn, +[4]
([5] Treasure – Duration)

Magistrate
+2 Cards
You may discard a Treasure card from your hand. If you do, choose one: trash any number of cards from your hand; or each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a Treasure card from his hand (or reveals a hand with no Treasure), and you get +[$] equal to the [$] value (not the cost) of a Treasure of your choice on top of a discard pile.
([5] Action – Attack)

(If a variable value treasure like Bank is chosen (? In the corners), no [$] is received.)

Merchant
+4 Cards
+1 Buy
Each time you play a Treasure card, -[1].
([3] Action)

Miser
+[1]
Look through your discard pile. You may reveal a Treasure card and put it into your hand.
-----
When you trash or discard a Treasure, you may reveal and set this card aside from your hand, along with a Treasure. At the start of your next turn, return both cards to your hand, look through your deck, discard up to 5 cards, and shuffle the rest.
([4] Action – Reaction)

Paladin
+1 Action
-----
While this is in play, when you gain a Curse card or trash a Treasure card, you may place a card from your hand here. At any time (or at the end of the game), trash this and all cards here, and gain a non-Kingdom Victory card into your hand with a {V} value up to the number of cards trashed.
([5] Action – Duration)

Politician
+[1]
Each player (including you) chooses one: he gains a Silver; or he gains a Curse card. +1{V} per player who did not gain a Curse card. If the Curse pile is empty, trash this and gain a Silver.
([5] Action – Attack)

Pub
+1 Buy
Immediately play up to 2 Treasure cards. Trash one of them. You may return one of your {V} tokens. If you do, +1 Action and draw up to 5 cards in hand.
-----
When a Treasure card costing [3] or more is trashed, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, +1{V}.
([5] Action – Reaction)

Rich Tax
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, trash this and +[2].
-----
While this and at least 3 Treasure cards are in play, all cards cost [1] more.
([3] Action – Duration)

Sewer
+1 Action
Choose one: gain a card costing up to [2]; or move 2 Kingdom cards from the Supply to the Trash pile. If another Sewer is in play, +1 Card.
([2] Action)

Spendthrift
+1 Action
+1 Buy
You may gain a Debt. If you do, +[3]. Otherwise, trash this.
Setup: Add Debt to the Supply.
([2] Action)
||
Debt
{-2}
The first time you buy this card in a turn, +[1], +1 Buy.
([0] Curse)

(There are 15 Debt cards. Debt is not a kingdom card and Debts do not replace Curses.)

Surplus
[2]
When you play this, each other player with less than 6 cards in hand gains a Copper into his hand. You may gain a Copper into your hand.
([4] Treasure – Attack)

Town
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
-----
When you shuffle, you may put this anywhere in your deck.
([2] Action)

(This card will have a unique back, like Stash.)

Wealth
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you have revealed a Treasure card, a Victory card, and an Action card. The player to your left selects one Treasure, one Victory, and one Action (except Wealth). Take those cards into your hand and discard the rest.
([6] Action)

All wording/grammar corrections, cost adjustment proposals, and other suggested changes are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Dominion: Conglomerate
I presume Debt is -2vps?

Mechanics wise, all of these seem like they should work as you intend, which is surprisingly rare from fan expansions (it's very easy to overcomplicate things). What Prizes should be in the game when Tournament or Bribe or both are in the supply? Does it vary?

I really don't like the modern theme. It just won't fit when mixed into older sets (I have $10 and two buys... I'll buy a Ghost Ship and an Enterprise. It doesn't work.) But that's not really relevant to the mechanics of the cards.

I won't do a detailed breakdown now, but I think your Prizes are too weak, and really, the best thing to do with a fan expansion is playtest it. If you can't... sorry, you're out of luck, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
I presume Debt is -2vps?

Yes.

I Eat Tables wrote:
Mechanics wise, all of these seem like they should work as you intend, which is surprisingly rare from fan expansions (it's very easy to overcomplicate things). What Prizes should be in the game when Tournament or Bribe or both are in the supply? Does it vary?

I was thinking all ten prizes would be in any game with Tournament, Bribe, or both. (But I admit it may not make the most sense to mix Princess with Economist...).

I Eat Tables wrote:
I really don't like the modern theme. It just won't fit when mixed into older sets (I have $10 and two buys... I'll buy a Ghost Ship and an Enterprise. It doesn't work.) But that's not really relevant to the mechanics of the cards.

I agree with you to some extent. If this were really an expansion to be printed, I very well might become enraged by the inconsistency. I just thought I would try something I haven't seen before (and "Conglomerate" works on multiple levels). If the general reaction is hatred, I'll probably change the names.

I Eat Tables wrote:
I won't do a detailed breakdown now, but I think your Prizes are too weak ...

Really? I was worried that I would hear the opposite. I was concerned that Economist and Monopoly in particular were too powerful, and maybe even Jewel. Also, Security Guard wins handily vs Followers, so I figured he didn't need much more. But I'll rethink them and do my best to test.

I Eat Tables wrote:
... and really, the best thing to do with a fan expansion is playtest it. If you can't... sorry, you're out of luck, I guess.

I guess so. If I made some images, would others be willing to test them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:

Security Guard
+3 cards
-----
When a player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that attack, and that player discards a card from hand.
(Action – Reaction – Prize)

This suffers from two common problems with reactions: first, you can reveal them more than once, and as a result Security Guard would cause every player who plays an attack to completely empty their hand! Second, "reflecting" the attack is a very common problem which leads to dead cards in your deck. Instead of giving more detailed advice, I'll just defer to the experts and suggest that you check out that link thoroughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
Instead of giving more detailed advice, I'll just defer to the experts and suggest that you check out that link thoroughly.

I definitely will take a more thorough look at that article later, but after reading Donald X's essay on harming reactions, I understand the problem with Guard. I'll probably change that to a simple moat reaction and make the playing part a bit more interesting. Thanks for the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
Gamble
Discard a treasure from hand. Roll a dice. +$ equal to the value of the dice roll.
($4 Action)

I think I'll use a d20 when I play this card...

Seriously though, the average roll on a 6-sided dice is 3.5, so this card is on average better than a Gold. This needs to cost 6 or 7.

BaconSnake wrote:
Bank Note
+$0
You may reveal a treasure card from your hand. Play it twice.
($4 Treasure)

I think this card is too powerful for $4. Compared to Throne Room, this card does not share Throne Room's main downside in that it is worthless in your hand without other actions to combine with. Bank Note, on the other hand, will always have at least one treasure to pair with. This card becomes very powerful later in the game, especially if expensive treasures like Hoard, Bank, Platinum, etc are in play. I think $5 is more balanced for this card.

I agree with Martin that the Prizes are overall too weak. I'm not a big fan of the theme either, but I'll try to look past it. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
BaconSnake wrote:
Gamble
Discard a treasure from hand. Roll a dice. +$ equal to the value of the dice roll.
($4 Action)

I think I'll use a d20 when I play this card...

Seriously though, the average roll on a 6-sided dice is 3.5, so this card is on average better than a Gold. This needs to cost 6 or 7.

You're forgetting that this is an Action, not a Treasure, so it should produce more coin than a similarly costed Treasure. Second, if you assume you'll be discarding a Copper when you play it, it's worth $2.5 on average, not $3.5.

Quote:

BaconSnake wrote:
Bank Note
+$0
($4 Treasure)

I think this card is too powerful for $4. Compared to Throne Room, this card does not share Throne Room's main downside in that it is worthless in your hand without other actions to combine with. Bank Note, on the other hand, will always have at least one treasure to pair with.

No, it won't. It's perfectly possible to draw it without another Treasure card, and it's only worth $1 if all you have is Copper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major overhaul. I beefed up the prizes and changed a lot of names. I kept the subtitle "Conglomerate" mainly to prevent confusion, but I think now a more appropriate name would be "Encroachment" or something.

Please keep suggestions coming! As soon as I feel confident enough with these I'll start making images (and get the rest of the cards in here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bribe
Choose one:
• +1 Card, +1 Action
• Trash a treasure costing 5 or more from your hand. If you do, gain a prize into your hand.
• Trash a prize from hand. If you do, gain a Province into your hand.
($5 Action)

I absolutely hate this. Prizes aren’t supposed to be the easiest thing in the world to acquire. This makes it really easy. You don’t really want to cram Victory cards into your deck too soon yet Tournament gives incentive to try to hit 8 coins faster than anyone--even if not as consistently--which adds something different to play style. You already want to be picking up Gold as soon as possible and they are useful even if not found in the same hand as Bribe, so this adds nothing to complexity and carries no risk. Tournament eventually becomes a useless card so picking up too many can be a mistake. Bribe can be used for +1 Card, +1 Action if not found in the same hand as something that makes it more interesting and that makes it boring. No risk and not even some actual effect in those cases. Tournament provides a bit of competition between the players. Because there is a limited number of Prizes, it makes a lot of sense that the card needed to acquire them gives the players a bit of opportunity to mess with each other. Bribe doesn’t. Also, adding more Prizes takes away from the importance to winning early and more often. With 10 Prizes in the supply, the game likely ends before too many are picked up anyway. Trashing a Gold for a temporary Prize just to trash that Prize later for a Province--if it ends up in the same hand as Bribe--is a really slow way to pick up Provinces when keeping the Gold and/or Prize is even quicker. Finally, consider how easily this card will feed itself Golds to trash if Bag of Gold is the first Prize gained.

Guard
+2 Cards
+1 Action
While this is in play, if you trash a Treasure, you may set it aside and return it to your discard pile at the end of your turn.
-----
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.
(Action - Reaction - Prize)

Actually, this is the most uninteresting Reaction to an Attack as possible and it already exists on no less than two cards already. A Prize is a chance to do something unique and too powerful to appear on multiple cards. You originally had this cause the player of the Attack discard a card in penance. The person who told you not to is doing so based on information from an article that did not take into account that you are putting this effect on a Prize card. The fact is that a Prize won’t show up too early in the game, only shows up exactly once at most through at most one player’s cycling through a deck. It avoids the usual trouble of punishing an Attacker in that it is a single, unique card. The attacker will not be hurt as much or more than the victims. You only need to limit it to taking effect once per attack and that isn’t hard when there is no chance you have more than one copy in your deck. Meanwhile, +2 Cards, +1 Action doesn’t seem to fit the card and it isn’t original in any regard. A Reaction to trashing a Treasure card that sets the trashed card aside and returns it to the owner’s discard pile during the next Clean-Up Phase would be awesome and unique. It should also trigger regardless of which player is doing the trashing. This could prevent opponents from cleaning out Coppers (if you get this Prize before that’s accomplished) and use it to defend against Thief, Pirate Ship, Noble Brigand, Swindler, Saboteur, your own Remodels, Upgrades, etc. By making it a Reaction in this way, it no longer needs "While this is in play" to function. For a proactive function, I’d recommend a trashing ability like "Trash any number of cards from your hand," or "Trash up to X cards from your hand. + coins equal to the highest cost card trashed in this way," since this might be the only opportunity to trash in some given set-up, making the Prize strong in sets without trashing with a Reaction that syncs really well in sets with trashing.

Mob
+1 Action
+$2
Roll a dice. If you roll a:
• 1 or 2: Gain a card costing up to $6.
• 3 or 4: +3 VP.
• 5 or 6: Each other player gains 2 Curses.
(Action - Prize)

This is terrible. Including the randomness of a die roll is a poor idea. No, there isn’t anything inherently wrong with dice but what makes Dominion so cool is that the randomness of card shuffling is controllable to a degree by giving the player influence on what cards are in the deck. Gaining a Duchy or 3 victory tokens that don’t get in the way are totally skewed results. Giving each other player -2 points and a lot of chaff (until the Curses run dry) is also nowhere near in the same realm as the other results. Finally, why isn’t this an Attack if it is going to hand out Curses? I think this card is more disruptive than anything and there’s really no reason for it to be so crazy. Is there any player that would choose a Duchy over this Prize when winning a Tournament or trash this for a Province using Bribe? How freakin’ out-of-control does this get with King’s Court?

Necromancer
Worth 4 VP per Curse card in your deck
(Victory - Prize)

This may as well say "Duchies cost 0 coins for you throughout the game, even retroactively, and other player’s Attacks give you a Duchy when they would give you a Curse, even retroactively." That’s actually quite similar to harming a player making an Attack that hands out Curses by giving you 3 points instead of -1. It is often really easy to chain a bunch of +1 Buys together and this card can pick up a ton of Curses for a huge point advantage with really nothing anyone else can do about it, since they aren’t trying to get those Curses before you. Totally lame card.

Jewel
+$4
When you play this, +1 VP.
(Treasure - Prize)

I don’t think this poses any problems. I wonder if it is strong enough for a Prize card but victory tokens are pretty good.

Patent
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Place on a supply pile. When a player buys a card from that pile, gain a $ token and place it here. At the start of your next turn, return all $ tokens from here. +$1 per token returned. Then discard this card.
(Action - Duration - Prize)

I’m sure this kicks ass in a game with 6 players and sucks in a game with 2 players.

Discovery
+$3
Reveal the top 3 cards of the Black Market deck. You may pay $3 to add one of the corresponding kingdom piles to the supply.
($5 Action)

I kind of like this but at the same time, it looks like you’d be investing a bit of time and money to benefit everyone in about the same way whereas the much cheaper (but retarded) Black Market gives a quicker pay-off, unique advantage, and some risk in that you aren’t assured to be able to afford any of the revealed cards. It seems that by the time a $5 card is picked up and played often enough to put some randomly encountered card pile into the supply, no-one has designed a deck to take advantage of it and it’ll be largely ignored. Unless it is one of those game-changing cards and, man, that’s just chaos! But this may have merit. I do like the idea but I’d really need to see it in action to know for sure.

Hideaway
+$2
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may set both this and the gained card aside until the end of the game.
($5 Treasure)

I already know this is less interesting than Island. The 2 coin Treasure card is never a liability and no risk of it not hitting the hand containing the card that you want to set aside; dead cards never even enter the deck for a little while. It doesn’t even require an Action to use it. There’s simply no down-side to this card. Island has a whole lot of complications in its use and it is a hugely popular card. Remaking such a favorite card with no complexity or risk is completely too powerful and, sadly, gets the worst critique of all: it’s boring. Besides, how is a "Hideaway" a treasure?

Bank Note
+$0
($4 Treasure)

This is a popular card concept and I’m for it. However, if it is a Treasure card, meaning it can be played without concern for available actions, it should cost at least as much as the most common and expensive Treasure card. Consider Adventurer costs 6 coins and effectively plays a Treasure card twice, except that the Treasure card isn’t necessarily the same card during the second play. Adventurer is slightly weaker in that it requires an action to play it and slightly stronger in that the Treasure cards played (okay, they go into the hand but from there can be played) don’t come from the hand, so it does enact draw but the cards that it picks up are more-or-less random and Bank Note gives the player full control over which Treasure card is used. Bank Note is the superior of the two and the cost ought to reflect that. Venture is perhaps even closer to compare, as it is a Treasure card that puts itself and another Treasure card into play (playing two Treasure cards) where the second doesn’t come from the hand (and since the "copy" of the Bank Note’s target isn’t really in existence, it isn’t also from the hand) but that the first Treasure card Venture plays (itself) is necessarily only worth 1 coin, it may have less potential than Bank Note -- except that Venture can find another Venture, and another Venture, then Gold, making its total value as good as a Bank Note affecting Gold but that is far harder to pull off so at a price of 5 coins, Bank Note ought to cost slightly more. Yet, if Bank Note cost 6 coins, one wonders why not just buy Gold in the first place and not end up with a sometimes-useless or sometimes-inferior card if not found in the same hand as Gold? The fact that Bank Note can work on Venture, Platinum, Bank, Loan, etc, makes it much stronger but that really only matters when those others are around. The final analysis means that a cost of 6 coins is sometimes too much to make it worth buying, sometimes not enough to warrant the effect. You could probably get away with a sticker price of 4-5 if it were an Action card and either see it un-played or abused as a Treasure card, regardless of the price.

Gamble
($4 Action)

Harvest is a $5 Action card that does this better. There is as much risk, less potential benefit, and some control over its payoff when played. Contrary to previous posters chiming in about the average payoff being 2.5 coins since a Copper (at least) must be discarded, the average payoff is 3.5 coins since a Potion, worthless P-Stone, Loan or Contraband that won’t be played either way, Horn of Plenty that won’t be worth enough to bother using, and perhaps a couple other choice Treasure cards can potentially be discarded for the benefit. Meanwhile, regardless of what is discarded, a Venture, Adventurer, Library, or complete deck draw can recover the discarded Treasure card, completely shirking the "penalty" so even if a Copper or Gold is discarded, there is no way of knowing in abstract theory if Gamble’s payoff is going to be less than 3.5 coins. At 3.5 coins, on average, this is way too powerful for a $4 Action card. Even at 2.5 coins, since that is already somewhat better than the more costly Harvest provides on average, without a lot more concern for overall deck composition. Finally, Dominion turns tend to benefit from variance. The occasional 1-2 coin results from Gamble aren’t going to hurt enough to balance out the occasional amazing turns that will come from 5-6 coin results.

Investment
Discard a Gold from your hand. If you do, +1$ at the start of each of your turns. You may trash this card from play at any time to gain a Gold.
($5 Action - Duration)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but can I not do this with several Investments, possibly faster if using Throne Rooms, and guarantee upwards of 8 coins per turn regardless of cards drawn, Attacks made, etc, and just grab a Province each turn until the game ends? Yeah, 1 coin per Investment (modified by Thrones or Courts) may not get there quickly but if the game is going to drag due to heavy Attacks, this looks like a pretty easy 2-card combo to repeat until one sails to victory. I actually like this card. It adds some new quirks, some new choices, some alternate strategies. I’m not certain it is in its most perfect potential state right now but I really like it.

Lost Fortune
+$0
You have one less $ to spend this turn (but not less than $0).
-----
At the start of your next buy phase, +$3
($4 Treasure - Duration)

Why not less than $0? The player isn’t forced to use this if in a bind where an economy must be re-established and, besides, this card will provide enough money to grab a Silver at the least next turn all on its own, meaning that necessitating the affordability of a Copper is not mandatory. I think that the minimum offers a chance for abuse with Highway, Princess, Quarry, Peddler, or Bridge. If you want to enforce a penalty, enforce it and remove the minimum. The odds that it matters aren’t going to arise enough to warrant the extra text either way.

Settlement
+2 Actions
When you shuffle, you may put this anywhere in your deck.
($2 Action)

Is this the Action card equivalent of the most uninteresting Treasure card in existence? I am not impressed. There may be mid-Action Phase reshuffles where this may be of benefit but otherwise, I see little merit to this card. It seems that in a heavy Action card deck, the only real choice is to put it on top in order to assure it comes up before dead-draw. But if there aren’t better ways to pick up explosive action without designating a card to just that and not even so much as +1 Card along with it, then one wouldn’t be playing an action-oriented deck to begin with.

Spendthrift
+1 Action
Gain a Debt. If you do, +$3, +2 Buys.
-----
Setup: Add Debt to the supply.
($2 Action)

Debt
Once per turn, when you buy this card, +$1, +1 Buy.
-----
This is not a Kingdom card. When you would gain a curse, you may choose to gain this.
($0 Curse)

I’m not a fan of messing the Curse pile so I’m not the one to give useful feedback here. I prefer the elegance and simplicity of Curses as they are. They are already something to avoid and that suits me just fine.

Judiciary
Trash a treasure from your hand. If you do, choose one:
• Trash any number of cards from your hand.
• Each other player discards a treasure from hand (or reveals a hand with no treasure). You get +$ equal to the value (not the cost) of one of the discarded treasures of your choice.
($5 Action - Attack)

Usual problem with referring to the value of a Treasure card out of sequence: Can you evaluate a discarded P-Stone, Bank, or Fool’s Gold?

Rich Tax
+1 Action
+$1
While this is in play, if an opponent plays 3 or more treasures during his buy phase, all cards cost $1 more until the end of his turn. At the start of your next turn, discard this from play.
($3 Action - Duration)

Why should the Duration card be discarded at the start of your next turn? Duration cards, like any cards, should be discarded from play during the Clean-Up Phase. This prevents them from being used in every consecutive turn. The lingering effect, if always in play, ought to require rolling more than a single copy to maintain each turn. A limit of 2 Treasure cards before the penalty kicks in is too steep. If a couple of players put a couple of these into play, it could be impossible to buy even a Silver. Because Rich Tax provides a +1 Action and it is cheap enough that a single player can get two during the initial cycle, this can cause a lock-down. Furthermore, this isn’t even an Attack which seems odd being that cards like Embargo affect the player using it and this one doesn’t. It would be unwieldy to turn this into an Attack because it has a "While this is in play" effect--not a "when played" effect--anyway. I think that this card can work exactly as is with one slight alteration: "if an opponent plays more than 3 Treasure cards..." This allows Coppers to buy Silvers, Silvers to buy Golds, Golds to buy Platinums without a chance of absolute lock-down but still making the progress a lot harder than what is possible using all Treasure cards at one’s disposal. With that adjustment, I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are to be congratulated for the work you have put into this.

WOW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am resurrecting this thread, because I have made some huge changes to this expansion in light of Dark Ages (no pun intended). A few cards have been added, a few cards have been removed, and many changes have been made to the rest. Please feel free to comment. In fact, please do not feel free not to comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
Hideaway
[?]
Worth [1] per Treasure card on your Hideaway mat.
-----
When you gain a card while this is in play, you may set both this and the gained card aside until the end of the game.
([6] Action)

So ... it's not deck thinning, because it only works on cards you gain. In order for this to ever be worth decent money (let's say $3, and I think that's being generous) as an action, I have to a) gain four $6 cards, b) play three of them, hoping that they don't collide unless I have extra buys/gains, and c) while they're in play, waste a buy or gain on a treasure that's not going into my deck, at which point I have one of these left in my deck, and it's a Gold that I have to spend an action on. I could buy a second one (a fifth $6 purchase), but if both players are trying the same thing, we only get two each, never mind if there are more than two players.

There might be some value in the hide-away effect in that a large victory card you buy on a turn could just stay out of your deck, but it's not obvious to me that that's worth $6 and an action on a subsequent turn.

Did you try this priced at $4 and it was too strong? What am I missing?

Edited to add: Ah, now I see the previous version, assuming it's what FlatOnHisFace has above. That version doesn't seem particularly over-powerful to me, although I would agree with his assessment that the card has no downside (other than costing 5--but it's not like there's a downside to Royal Seal, either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, that was meant to say Treasure, not Action. Leftovers from a previous version I tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.