fen
Wales
Cardiff
The Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
I would like to point out that I have been using a new term and hoping it catches on, so say it with me now....

Ameritreasure !

Ameriflash?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Games > Free Time
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
You are the 999th person to view this hidden message!
mbmbmb
Walter Raleigh1 wrote:
Actually, "Human" is the only race, and rest is just ethno-balkanization.

ya got da dog race, da horse race, but dis is a rat race...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Taylor
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
tel999 wrote:

Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahutrash

A game designed on a hill in New Zealand.

You, sir, are a brilliant man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walter Raleigh1 wrote:
If "Ameritrash" is Ok, let's not forget any game created by a Muslim (Islamotrash) or a Brazilian (Brazilotrash) or someone from Milwaukee (Milwaukeegarbage) or Coral Gables, Florida (CoralGablesFloridaDetritus)

Idiot.
lcarrington1 wrote:

Heck, my wife is of Polish Ancestory on both mother and father's ancestory and she tells Polish jokes and doesn't mind hearing them either.
My wife doesn't mind racism, therefore it is ok to be racist. Congrats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Bradley
United States
Bethany
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tacoSEVEN wrote:
My wife doesn't mind racism, therefore it is ok to be racist. Congrats.

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL you guys are so funny. Face it ameritrash does describe the vast majority of mainstream games that are sold for 10 dollars at walmart. Poking fun at ourselves and our hobby takes out so much tension. Laugh at ourselves please, embrace the geekiness and laugh at silliness. Calling someone racist or nationist is just really really silly when it is not meant as an insutl but a humerous look at our own lexicography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Walter Raleigh1 wrote:
If "Ameritrash" is Ok, let's not forget any game created by a Muslim (Islamotrash) or a Brazilian (Brazilotrash) or someone from Milwaukee (Milwaukeegarbage) or Coral Gables, Florida (CoralGablesFloridaDetritus)
This is fun, let's go wild!

This is biting sarcasm wielded with tact and precision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFace wrote:
Walter Raleigh1 wrote:
This is fun, let's go wild!

This is biting sarcasm wielded with tact and precision.

I'm just going to assume that the "this" in your sentence refers to your sentence itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an interesting take by comedian Richard Herring about how racists are closer to some kind of social utopia. His piece goes along the line of "we see people from 190 different countries, all different, society, culture, upbringing....most racists see four - white, black, pakistani and chinese. We think we're superior but we're 189 away from thinking of everyone being the same...THE RACISTS ARE JUST THREE AWAY!"

It's not meant to be offensive (any more so than usual stand up) but he is prone to swearing and is British so take it under consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmb
lcarrington1 wrote:
Heck, my wife is of Polish Ancestory...

And your name is Lynn? Forgot that your sock puppet has a female first name, hmm???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People need to stop being so sensitive.

Americans labeled a style of European music Eurotrash a bit ago, and many Europeans owned it. If you're offended by the term Ameritrash it is time to be like the 5th little piggy and go boo hoo hoo all the way home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Listening to: Pepper Adams - Encounter! // Nick Brignola - Raincheck // Serge Chaloff - Blue Serge
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walter Raleigh1 wrote:
Actually, "Human" is the only race, and rest is just ethno-balkanization.

Yet you're the guy who insists that a term for a game category is racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Listening to: Pepper Adams - Encounter! // Nick Brignola - Raincheck // Serge Chaloff - Blue Serge
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valairia wrote:
LOL you guys are so funny. Face it ameritrash does describe the vast majority of mainstream games that are sold for 10 dollars at walmart.

I'm afraid that has nothing to do with what the term Ameritrash signifies. It's used to designate games with dice rolling and direct conflict, and the components in iconic Ameritrash games are often lavish. Fortress America is a good example, and it didn't sell for 10 dollars even back in the 80s. The similarity in its name and that of the premier website for lovers of that type of game, Fortress Ameritrash, is no coincidence.

Valairia wrote:
Poking fun at ourselves and our hobby takes out so much tension. Laugh at ourselves please, embrace the geekiness and laugh at silliness. Calling someone racist or nationist is just really really silly when it is not meant as an insutl but a humerous look at our own lexicography.

That part I agree with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both Ameritrash and Eurocrap games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, we wouldn't want to encourage self-deprecating nomenclature on a website called...

BoardGameGeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
Also, you mentioned Brazilotrash, but last time I checked, Brazil is in South America, so it is part of the Americas, and therefore already included within the Ameritrash umbrella.

I see your point, but no, Brazil (or any other American country) is not included in Ameritrash. The term refers to a style of game design, not to games created in a particular country or continent, although obviously it refers to the geographic origin or predominance of that style.

And that brings another point, which the OP is completely missing: There can be no "Brazilotrash" simply because Brazilian games do not have a particular identity, a design style of their own - which probably applies to most countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mb
*looks around in confusion*
Where's the thread I clicked on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
calandale wrote:
dboeren wrote:
The lines have blurred in recent years, but historically the term ameritrash made a lot of sense. You had the new high quality boardgames coming from Europe ...

When did we establish that games which fail to link well
to their subject matter were 'high quality'?

I guess, to him at least, a bunch of cheap wooden blocks qualify as 'high quality'.

Those pathetic wooden blocks that come with most Eurotrash games just look incredibly cheap to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cepeda
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[soapbox]
I still don't understand why anyone is offended by the term "Ameritrash." I'm not trying to reclaim the term, I believe it fully describes a very distinct category of game in my mind. It's just a word. The terms "Amerigame" and "Eurotrash" just do not sit well in my mind. Can't we just leave gamer terms alone? Ameritrash, deckbuilder, theme, depth. Seriously, just add a definition or something... BGG-[insert language here] Dictionary or something... Ugh.
[/soapbox]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
iidhaegn wrote:
[soapbox]
I still don't understand why anyone is offended by the term "Ameritrash." I'm not trying to reclaim the term, I believe it fully describes a very distinct category of game in my mind. It's just a word. The terms "Amerigame" and "Eurotrash" just do not sit well in my mind. Can't we just leave gamer terms alone? Ameritrash, deckbuilder, theme, depth. Seriously, just add a definition or something... BGG-[insert language here] Dictionary or something... Ugh.
[/soapbox]

You and your darn soapbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I stumbled on this thread trying to find white-trash games. Carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Rohs
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Sicaria wrote:
Sorry I stumbled on this thread trying to find white-trash games. Carry on.

I think you want this shake

Jeff Foxworthy's You Might Be a Redneck if... Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people might need to lighten up and learn to have a laugh at themselves. Really aren't there more important things to get upset about other than a gaming term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Drittz wrote:
I think some people might need to lighten up and learn to have a laugh at themselves. Really aren't there more important things to get upset about other than a gaming term.

Indeed. It really is just a bunch of geek's opinions anyway. IMO cheap block-pushing games = Eurotrash; and that's just how it is.

Does that mean I'll never play one? Of course not. That just means I prefer thematic games minus the mini children's blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Rohs
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
PrimordialOne wrote:
Drittz wrote:

Indeed. It really is just a bunch of geek's opinions anyway. IMO cheap block-pushing games = Eurotrash; and that's just how it is.

Does that mean I'll never play one? Of course not. That just means I prefer thematic games minus the mini children's blocks.

But what do you play with while waiting for your turn?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.