Subject: Cylon has an action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi! I just read the rules and had a question.
Does a revealed Cylon have an action on his turn, that is can he issue an executive order or call a vote?
Or he only selects a crisis (either by rolling the black dice or by choice)?
I guess the latter is true, but I just wanted to make sure.

And thanks for the game! It looks great, I'm looking forward to try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revealed Cylons do not get their own action. They can choose to either roll the Crisis dice or choose a crisis for their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
badge
Err, is that so? The rules seem to say differently:
Quote:
- Any actions or abilities specific to their character no longer apply and may not be used.
(…)
- On their turn, they roll the Crisis dice as normal, selecting one to resolve. Difficulty numbers, consequences, and jump icons all still apply.
- Revealed Cylons have an additional action they may perform on their turn: Instead of rolling the Crisis dice (and thereby risking a jump symbol), the Cylon player may choose which Crisis the Humans will face. In this case, the difficulty is a 4, the consequence is a 1, and there is no jump symbol.
The bolded sections in particular imply (to me at least) that a revealed Cylon still gets his regular action, only his character-specific action is not available any more. Instead, he may use the Cylon-specific action detailed above. Most of the time, for revealed Cylons, it makes more sense to do the crisis-thing, but they are still allowed to do the other stuff. At least that's how we played it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
The bolded sections in particular imply (to me at least) that a revealed Cylon still gets his regular action, only his character-specific action is not available any more. Instead, he may use the Cylon-specific action detailed above.

I agree with your reading of the rules. They certainly do not state anywhere that a revealed Cylon cannot take any of the usual actions.

lee elektrik wrote:
Most of the time, for revealed Cylons, it makes more sense to do the crisis-thing, but they are still allowed to do the other stuff. At least that's how we played it so far.

The question is which one of the regular actions could possibly be beneficial to the Cylon cause.

- Destroy Raider/Rescue Colonial Ship: nope
- Repair Galactica: nope
- Boost Morale: nope
- Prepare for Jump: nope
- Executive Order: nope (even another confirmed or suspected Cylon player couldn't undertake a more meaningful, i.e. harmful, action)

This only leaves the following action as a potentially "good" move for a revealed Cylon:

- Call a Vote: assuming that all human characters have spent most of their dice and one unrevealed Cylon has dice to throw into the vote, calling for a vote (possibly resulting in a human character being brigged) could certainly be a good move.

However, thematically it makes no sense that anyone would even consider responding to a revealed Cylon's appeal to brig another person. Consequently, I would restrict revealed Cylon players to the Twist of Fates action. But maybe I just don't understand how other actions would be useful to a revealed Cylon. Heiko, could you please explain what exactly you mean by: "At least that's how we played it so far"?

On the general subject of this thread: Since I have never seen a Cylon victory (although there was one close call), I think that they could be tweaked to be somewhat stronger. How about the following additional (alternative) Cylon actions:

* Delay Jump: If successful, the subsequently chosen Crisis die is treated as having one less "prepare for jump" icon on it. To do so, the Cylon player must (have available and) roll two skill dice and submit both. The action is successful if the sum of the dice is negative. Essentially, this action is a somewhat stronger, if costlier, variant of Twist of Fate.

* Distract Character: If successful, a human character's skill die is spent. To do so, the Cylon player chooses another player, then rolls his skill dice and submits one. The action is successful if the skill die is negative, causing that player to "spend" a skill die (optionally, the negative number determines the skill die that has to be spent: -1 -> only a weak skill die, -2 -> a weak or a strong skill die).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too sure about the proposed Delay Jump Cylon action. The revealed Cylons can always manually select a crisis type with no jump icon on it (albeit a weaker difficulty 4), but then having the option of rolling 2 dice and submitting one of them to the crisis. I am assuming here that the revealed Cylon player will always retrieve both of his dice when starting their turn, I don't think this has been specified in the rules but would fall under general rules of retrieving all dice at the start of their turn since they're not brigged and they're not influenced by the demoralize markers.

Instead, why whould a revealed Cylon tie both his dice up, just to get a random crisis which has one less jump symbol and to which he can't add a die? I guess it's a push your luck thing to get a better crisis instead of the default one?

If the players have agreed to playing with the Morale Variant then the revealed Cylon player could also have the option on giving a Morale speech to submit a negative die, but that also doesn't sound thematically right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.