Popular Tags: [View All]
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
I always like when the conversation comes up on how game design is waxing or waning. This made me wonder how I stacked up with my own gaming tastes. Am I keeping current, or am I a dinosaur. Do I find older games better than newer games. I've rated over 700 different games, so I thought I'd look at my personal top ~50 to see what trends I could find. So here is list of years and what I consider my top rated games in each of those years:

1979 - 1
1986 - 1
1987 - 1
1991 - 1
1992 - 1
1994 - 1
1995 - 2
1996 - 1
1997 - 1
1998 - 2
1999 - 3
2000 - 3
2001 - 1
2002 - 2
2003 - 3
2004 - 4
2005 - 4
2006 - 4
2007 - 4
2008 - 4
2009 - 2
2010 - 4
2011 - 4

And while yes, there is noticeably more per year in the last 10 years, OVERALL, I have a favorite game in almost every year going back 25 years. I guess I really don't see much of a trend of board gaming getting better or really getting worse.

I do see a trend of more games being printed each year, but even if a year has 100 games printed vs. 1000 games printed, there always seems to be a few REALLY good games each year. It seems fairly constant IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this trend extends across all media.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time; We're gonna have a party...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that there have been more grat games made in the last 10-15 years than before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
oeste wrote:
I do have one quick question. You listed your top 50 games. Were any of those game vaulted into your top 50 based on an expansion that was later added to the game? If so, were the expansions released in a different year, and can you give credit to one year for the game over the other if the expansion, which came out later was the difference maker?

I didn't count expansions in my list. But, no, I have never rated a game higher because of an expansion. I've rated expansions higher than the base game a couple times. Power Grid: France/Italy was one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, threads like this used to get a lot more play up until recently. For some reason, it appears that gaming stats threads have fallen out of favor around BGG. Older BGG members always used to dig game stat analysis, but I guess the new guard isn't much into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
desertfox2004 wrote:
You know, threads like this used to get a lot more play up until recently. For some reason, it appears that gaming stats threads have fallen out of favor around BGG. Older BGG members always used to dig game stat analysis, but I guess the new guard isn't much into it.

Yeah, I was noticing that myself today. Seems as if gaming talk is not as popular with the new regime. I wonder if they even still play games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Yeah, I was noticing that myself today. Seems as if gaming talk is not as popular with the new regime. I wonder if they even still play games?

Yeah, if you look at the general gaming forum and eliminate game recommendation threads, things are looking a bit thin these days. People around here used to actually discuss the hobby, but you see less and less of that kind of activity of late. I guess part of that may be due to the apparent fact that the 'buzz' about 'Euros' has ebbed quite a bit since back in the early to mid-2000's. Let's face it, wargames are too esoteric to garner significant attention around here, and Ameritrash games are still perceived as kid's games by a lot of people, so neither one of these categories is going to stimulate the kind of activity we used to see regarding Euros (and, in the interest of full disclosure, my two favorite types of games are wargames and Ameritrash).

I can't quantify it, but I just get the general impression that the hobby has stagnated a bit, at least compared to where it was four or five years ago. I think this stagnation manifests itself in the relative dearth of meaty game-related discussion threads in this forum, compared to the heyday. I don't know if there's anything to be done about it, but it's just a feeling I have.

EDIT - I will add that the BGG Blogs feature is one positive way of explaining the decrease of more 'serious' or 'analytical' threads in the general gaming forum. I think that at least some of this content which used to populate the general gaming forum is now found in the Blogs section. Whether or not that entirely explains why the general forum these days seems, at times, so bleak, I don't know, but it does at least partially explain what I've observed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
this forum in general has slowed a bit, but I saw somewhere that twitter/facebook and all that has drawn people away from forums a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mb
Rut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
MWChapel wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Maybe they're busy playing instead of talking about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
calandale wrote:

Pffft. Doesn't exist. No one is ever too busy playing. Too busy, maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
desertfox2004 wrote:

EDIT - I will add that the BGG Blogs feature is one positive way of explaining the decrease of more 'serious' or 'analytical' threads in the general gaming forum. I think that at least some of this content which used to populate the general gaming forum is now found in the Blogs section. Whether or not that entirely explains why the general forum these days seems, at times, so bleak, I don't know, but it does at least partially explain what I've observed.

This is true. And come to think of it, I really should have posted this as a blog. I do see a lot more gaming activity on the blogs than the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapel,

I think people will follow specific blogs of specific people especially when the blog is for something specific. I know I do. It can attact good conversation.

I watch the forums for game related conversation as I still enjoy that, a lot.

On subject, it appears you have become Cult of the New.

I jest.

I think either game related talk has disappeared or it drifts away quickly as there is more posted to push something off the front page quicker. I have been blogging on the site for a year+ now. It used to be my blog would sit for two to three days in the first 20 or so blog entries. Now, it's off the page and unless you have subscribed to me, you might not notice it.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I think the articles are still otu there, in probably the same amount as well, but move quickly down the lists as more people post content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
calandale wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

To be a bit less flip (and add a couple more answers),
let's look at the kind of person who is a latecomer here.

Two reasons I can see for that are, recent interest in games,
and less comfort with the interwebz. For the first, they simply
wouldn't have the perspective to want to do all sorts of analysis;
for the second, they probably are here just for clear-cut purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.