$10.00
Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
60 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: I'm ready for an expansion or two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have already decided to go with Dunwich Horror as the "big box" expansion. I'm thinking about adding a smaller expansion as well. Could I get some recommendations on which of the smaller expansions to get first? Keep in mind that I have only played the game 5 or 6 times. It may seem a little too soon to dive into the expansions but I know that AH is a game that will be hitting the table quite often.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Probably Lurker. Dunwich ups the difficulty a good bit. The monsters are tougher and it takes a few tries to get good at managing the extra locations on the board. Lurker adds some things that actually help the investigators a little and also some cool new stuff to the game like the fancy gates. Plus, thematically they're a good combo.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathcart wrote:
Probably Lurker. Dunwich ups the difficulty a good bit. The monsters are tougher and it takes a few tries to get good at managing the extra locations on the board. Lurker adds some things that actually help the investigators a little and also some cool new stuff to the game like the fancy gates. Plus, thematically they're a good combo.


That's good to know. I didn't realize that Dunwich ups the difficulty. We are having a hard enough time as it is. I most just want it for the board addition, the extra investigators, and the additional encounter cards. But I do like your recommendation of Lurker as you say it helps the investigators.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Dunwich for a big box expansion and chose to go with Lurker as a small box expansion. From my perspective, the two worked well together. I'm not finding saving the world any easier when the Lurker is the Herald, but I'm still having loads of fun... in a screaming, nightmare, tentacled, inconceivable horror from beyond space and time sort of way.
googoo
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danwojciechowski wrote:
I got Dunwich for a big box expansion and chose to go with Lurker as a small box expansion. From my perspective, the two worked well together. I'm not finding saving the world any easier when the Lurker is the Herald, but I'm still having loads of fun... in a screaming, nightmare, tentacled, inconceivable horror from beyond space and time sort of way.
:goo::goo:

Sounds like fun. I think that the Dunwich/Lurker combo sounds like a good start.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathcart wrote:
fancy gates


Fancy gates are AWESOME!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
KiY, I'd suggest - but I don't have Lurker so am biased.

KiY is amazingly thematic. Ups the difficulty too. I like it, but tend to exclude it if we're already adding DH.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
KiY, I'd suggest - but I don't have Lurker so am biased.

KiY is amazingly thematic. Ups the difficulty too. I like it, but tend to exclude it if we're already adding DH.


Agreed, King in Yellow is excellent. Note that it doesn't mix very well though - if you mix it, the number of times the KiY cards come up decreases a lot and the impact is lessened pretty drastically.

In my opinion, Dunwich Horror is similarly spread thin if you use it with other expansions at the same time, but the others here seem to think it and Lurker mix nicely, which it very well may. I'd happily try it sometime but I don't own Lurker (yet ).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
I have already decided to go with Dunwich Horror as the "big box" expansion. I'm thinking about adding a smaller expansion as well. Could I get some recommendations on which of the smaller expansions to get first? Keep in mind that I have only played the game 5 or 6 times. It may seem a little too soon to dive into the expansions but I know that AH is a game that will be hitting the table quite often.

Expansions in AH work differently than in other games. The expansions were not really designed to work with each other, with the exceptions of Kingsport Horror and Miskatonic Horror.

The Lurker expansion with the "herald," once you figure it out and without Miskatonic Horror, will make your games very much easier.

Dunwich itself actually gets easier no matter what expansion you add, except Miskatonic Horror, due to the dilution of the Dunwich effects. Now the expansion you add may make things harder but Dunwich itself will get easier.

If your heart is set on a small expansion because of expense, I'd probably get King in Yellow. If you want the small expansion because you want more cards and variety and/or don't have table room, get the Miskatonic Horror. It's not a small expansion but it doesn't add another board and adds lots of cards.

Another option is Kingsport, but not because of the extra board which I seldom use but because of the personal story cards, the 16 extra investigators and 8 more Ancient Ones. It also adds the guardians or helpers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
KiY is my favorite as well, but not what I'd suggest first. Lurker is probably better for beginners. And besides, you don't want to go right to the best one, do you?

Dave, the replacement act cards from Miskatonic Horror fix KiY's dilution problem. Instead of waiting for the 'next act begins' cards you go off of the different type of environment effects (in addition to any 'next act begins' cards). This way you can mix as much as you want with KiY and still have a solid thread from the play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have dunwich, innsmouth, king in yellow, and lurker.

Dunwich is definately the right place to start for big expansions. I'll never play without injury and madness cards again.

For small expansions, I like king in yellow better, but it really reduces the odds of winning. The blight cards may be the single most immersive theme element in the whole series. Lurker makes the game easier to win, (relationships and dark pacts) but you're more likely to lose several investigators along the way (mostly from reckoning cards).

I haven't played with innsmouth enough to comment on it yet, but the personal stories are an interesting twist.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunwich is a solid choice for first expansion; the Injury and Madness cards greatly improve the game. Don't worry too much about how it "ups the difficulty"; it's true, but not to a great extent.

Lurker and KIY are both strong choices for a small box; I would probably favor Lurker slightly, as I am a huge fan of those "fancy gates". If you find the Lurker Herald makes things too easy, just don't use him; the other components work fine without him.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:


Another option is Kingsport, but not because of the extra board which I seldom use but because of the personal story cards, the 16 extra investigators and 8 more Ancient Ones. It also adds the guardians or helpers.


I think you mean Innsmouth adds 16 more investigators, personal stories and 8 more AOs. Kingsport has the Guardians.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyshoggoth wrote:
mageith wrote:


Another option is Kingsport, but not because of the extra board which I seldom use but because of the personal story cards, the 16 extra investigators and 8 more Ancient Ones. It also adds the guardians or helpers.


I think you mean Innsmouth adds 16 more investigators, personal stories and 8 more AOs. Kingsport has the Guardians.


Gotta stop working from my old faulty memory. I mean Kingsport because
of the personal stories and the guardians.

Edit: Yikes! I did mean Innsmouth. shake

Innsmouth doesn't add much in the way of investigator cards (little cards) and it makes the game much harder.

I'm trying to emphasize that for the most part the expansions don't play well together. Kingsport does, but IMO is very boring but does add some great elements. Miskatonic Horror is designed to work with other expansions. Without it Dunwich Horror and King in Yellow both flop from dilution.

YMMV

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the helpful comments everyone has made, I can't decide. I now want them all.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
After reading the helpful comments everyone has made, I can't decide. I now want them all.


Excellent! We all win laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's generally a foregone conclusion that you will end up getting them all. But I would suggest picking up Lurker first, particularly if you are concerned with difficulty. People generally agree that King in Yellow ramps up the difficulty a fair bit. And it doesn't mix in as well with other expansions, either (unless you get Miskatonic too!). The "mixing in" was the main reason I got Lurker first. I enjoy it greatly and use at least parts of it for every game I play now. I generally use the Relationships and alternate gates for every game, and because I only have 2 Heralds (Lurker and Dunwich), I use the Herald pretty often too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lurker for the special gates. You'll never want to play with the regular gates again.
Note however, that the Lurker expansion contains a few gates to other worlds that appear on the Kingsport expansion board(The Underworld and Unknown Kadath)

The Innsmouth expansion introduces personal stories, which is a terrific addition(sort of a mini-rumor/mission for each of the 48 investigators in total), 16 more investigators and the hardest 8 Ancient Ones you'll ever face.The Innsmouth is my favorite expansion but it doesn't add any new items, and only ramps up the difficulty considerably.Thus I wouldn't recommend getting it first.

All the expansions are good,(Kingsport adds 4 brutal AOs, 8 more investigators,helpful guardians and Epic Battle and plot cards for each of the 24 AOs in the game, which make final battle more exciting. Plus a lot more of everything to existing card decks, much like Dunwich)

Anyhow, go with Dunwich and The Lurker for starters.

You'll put these all together in no time for an epic card avalanche. Seriously,with all expansions Arkham Horor probably has the largest number of cards I;ve seen in any board game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Dunwich is a solid choice for first expansion; the Injury and Madness cards greatly improve the game. Don't worry too much about how it "ups the difficulty"; it's true, but not to a great extent.

Lurker and KIY are both strong choices for a small box; I would probably favor Lurker slightly, as I am a huge fan of those "fancy gates". If you find the Lurker Herald makes things too easy, just don't use him; the other components work fine without him.
I'll second Radulla's comments. (I agree with others who make the suggestion, it's just that Radulla's comments resonate with my own thoughts). For my group, DH + Lurker was our standard game for a very long time indeed. We almost never used the Herald itself, but all the other components are permanent additions even now that we've moved on to Innsmouth (of course the Injury/Madness cards from DH are a permanent fixture too). And as so many of you have said already: those Gates! Oh, how I loves me them Fancy Gates (except when the Devouring Gate eats my Investigator! Or those pesky Moving Gates run off down the board, or... you get the picture! angry)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
After reading the helpful comments everyone has made, I can't decide. I now want them all.


DO IT! I bought Lurker first then a few months later Dunwich. Then Amazon had a super boss sale on Kingsport and Miskatonic. THEN I had a good sized credit at my OLGS and bought the rest. So far we've only played Lurker, DH, KH and IH. The rest are sleeved and ready to go but we're playing through them one at a time first (other than a few DH/Lurker games).

Do. It. Now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Radulla wrote:
Dunwich is a solid choice for first expansion; the Injury and Madness cards greatly improve the game. Don't worry too much about how it "ups the difficulty"; it's true, but not to a great extent.

Lurker and KIY are both strong choices for a small box; I would probably favor Lurker slightly, as I am a huge fan of those "fancy gates". If you find the Lurker Herald makes things too easy, just don't use him; the other components work fine without him.
I'll second Radulla's comments. (I agree with others who make the suggestion, it's just that Radulla's comments resonate with my own thoughts). For my group, DH + Lurker was our standard game for a very long time indeed. We almost never used the Herald itself, but all the other components are permanent additions even now that we've moved on to Innsmouth (of course the Injury/Madness cards from DH are a permanent fixture too). And as so many of you have said already: those Gates! Oh, how I loves me them Fancy Gates (except when the Devouring Gate eats my Investigator! Or those pesky Moving Gates run off down the board, or... you get the picture! angry)


We've had the stupid doom token gate get us in our past three games. Stupid doom token gate. angry
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible General Store encounter:
Lose 1 sanity, then make a Will(-2) check. For every failure you roll, discard 10$(in Arkham money) as you struggle the temptation to buy all expansions at once.
No, but seriously I recommend getting them one at a time. A small expansion+big expansion is an optimal choice(Dunwich+The Lurker)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
The Lurker for the special gates. You'll never want to play with the regular gates again.
Note however, that the Lurker expansion contains a few gates to other worlds that appear on the Kingsport expansion board(The Underworld and Unknown Kadath)

The Innsmouth expansion introduces personal stories, which is a terrific addition(sort of a mini-rumor/mission for each of the 48 investigators in total), 16 more investigators and the hardest 8 Ancient Ones you'll ever face.The Innsmouth is my favorite expansion but it doesn't add any new items, and only ramps up the difficulty considerably.Thus I wouldn't recommend getting it first.

All the expansions are good,(Kingsport adds 4 brutal AOs, 8 more investigators,helpful guardians and Epic Battle and plot cards for each of the 24 AOs in the game, which make final battle more exciting. Plus a lot more of everything to existing card decks, much like Dunwich)

Anyhow, go with Dunwich and The Lurker for starters.

You'll put these all together in no time for an epic card avalanche. Seriously,with all expansions Arkham Horor probably has the largest number of cards I;ve seen in any board game.


Sounds goo....wait. Did you say 48 total investigators???
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep,48 investigators with all expansions+_base game, and 24 Ancient Ones in total.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
magmaxtic wrote:
The Lurker for the special gates. You'll never want to play with the regular gates again.
Note however, that the Lurker expansion contains a few gates to other worlds that appear on the Kingsport expansion board(The Underworld and Unknown Kadath)

The Innsmouth expansion introduces personal stories, which is a terrific addition(sort of a mini-rumor/mission for each of the 48 investigators in total), 16 more investigators and the hardest 8 Ancient Ones you'll ever face.The Innsmouth is my favorite expansion but it doesn't add any new items, and only ramps up the difficulty considerably.Thus I wouldn't recommend getting it first.

All the expansions are good,(Kingsport adds 4 brutal AOs, 8 more investigators,helpful guardians and Epic Battle and plot cards for each of the 24 AOs in the game, which make final battle more exciting. Plus a lot more of everything to existing card decks, much like Dunwich)

Anyhow, go with Dunwich and The Lurker for starters.

You'll put these all together in no time for an epic card avalanche. Seriously,with all expansions Arkham Horor probably has the largest number of cards I;ve seen in any board game.


Sounds goo....wait. Did you say 48 total investigators???


Yep. And 24 AOs total.

EDIT: Curse you magmaxtic!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.